Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 95

User Info Menu

Get well soon Mike.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That, my friend, is guitar royalty.

I bet the Citation was as excited to meet BigMike as he was to welcome it home!

Enjoy, BigMike!!!

-Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Well this morning I tuned her up and played her through my trusty Texas Flood...

First off it's got 10 round wounds on her. (GRRRRRRR>>>>>) so it sounds a little bright. It really should have 12 flats on it to drive this lovely spruce top more. Gotta get Pete to look her over (which I am sure he'll enjoy) put some TI GB12 flats on her and set her up. But she's pretty doggone nice. Taller frets than I am used to seeing and on first test the neck seemed wide but shallow (flat in the back almost). This 2nd pass on her (just now, after my nap and a double espresso) she's pretty nice. But all this is said by a guy that still feels like going back to bed and sleeping. Haven't been sick since I was in Jersey and colds always hang with me, but I'm working on it...

As I'm sitting on the bed (under the office inset ceiling lights) I notice something winking at me along the fingerboard, yeah lovely little green abalone side dots for markers, they light up just like some really good Lightning Ridge opal or the markers on those Alembic bass guitars some cats use on stage. Just those subtle little details.

Give me a couple days to shake this crud (as I cough) off and we'll talk. Hopefully I get a sunny day where I can sit on my porch warming my bones and wave to the pretty ladies and not get the chills doing it. And then I'll tell you what I really think of her.

Big

For my "blondes preferred taste" certainly the nicest Citation i've ever seen ..... i'll be happy for you if it plays as fine as it looks.

User Info Menu

Marty: as I told you one the phone Sunday, just looking at the two rather whited out auction pics I was pretty sure that was a Hutchins supervised build, that telltale cross grain in the maple is his "choice" of woods for sure, just like my Crimson Custom Shop Byrdland. Real nice.

Jazznote, I did play it a little more last night before bed, just sitting in the office singing "He Touched Me" with it. Yeah once I get some TI GB12 flats on her I'll be a lot happier and she'll ring out the way she's supposed to.

Again guys, thank you for all the compliments and kind wishes.

Big

User Info Menu

I did play it a little more last night before bed, just sitting in the office singing "He Touched Me" with it. Yeah once I get some TI GB12 flats on her I'll be a lot happier and she'll ring out the way she's supposed to.
    Big
    I LOVE that song! Who did that song on the perfume commercial years ago?

And suddenly..
    Noth-ing will ever beeee...

The same...

How appropriate!

Joe D

User Info Menu

Wow, BigMike, she’s a beaut! As a sucker for figured/flamed maple, I must say your new guitar is surely amazing to behold. Best of luck!

Roli

User Info Menu

Well I'm feeling a little better this evening: I found a set of TI GB12 flats in my bedroom and if I feel even better I'm putting those on tomorrow (you gotta understand it's my doggone eyes that make me reluctant to change strings on such a gorgeous guitar, if I slip and put one ding in that top I'll be so mad at myself).

Anyway I found a new sitting/playing space. I have a love seat in the living room that is just right. Doggone is it nice. Was inspired to try it after seeing George Benson on his D'Aquisto sitting on a wide padded chair. This is my version of that. So I played "He Touched Me" again and yeah it's growing on me fast. With those heftier strings pushing the top I'll be a real happy camper... When I do take it to Pete Moreno I'll have him install a Schatten hidden tone pot under the pick guard. She's surely pretty.

Big

HA 2002 Gibson Citation-14225584_10153967024197239_9080884905365327088_n-jpg

User Info Menu

When I do take it to Pete Moreno I'll have him install a Schatten hidden tone pot under the pick guard. She's surely pretty.
    I have installed hidden tone pots on both my LeGrands and on the Johnny Smith. without them the BJB's & JS PU's were too bright for my taste. The only exception is the Lee Ritenour L5 which sounds so dark and mellow that it doesn't need it.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 11-03-2017 at 05:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Love the pic of that Unity Mike - that's a real beauty.

User Info Menu

I am late to this party . . . what a beautiful instrument Mike and that's understatement.

Play her in good health & often.

Can't help but keep coming back to the pictures you posted. I LOVE BLING. Okay , I said it. It may not attribute to the sound/tone of the instrument, but that abalone with that close grained Maple on the backside is the most amazing art created by GOD that I have ever seen. What an amazing guitar. You have raised the bar with that instrument. I hope you savor/enjoy it for years to come. KUDOS my friend.

User Info Menu

Hope you're felling better BM! There's nothing like snuggling with a 'creme of the top' Gibson to shorten ones recovery!

User Info Menu

Rain is on the way, no bright sun, and trying to shoot in this overcast produces a lot of reflections, BUT I wanted to show off the spruce in the top some so posted these full sized shots, hope you enjoy them.

Big

Coffee table book in the can, you know on Seinfeld if you took a book into the washroom YOU BOUGHT I
    T...

Attachment 47278Attachment 47279Attachment 47280Attachment 47281
    I'll go out on a limb and say Patrick would definitely approve of those woods, and especially that top! That's almost obscene!

User Info Menu

Yeah this really is a work of art. Greg, I don't think you are going out on a limb saying Patrick would approve, matter of fact I think the top on the Citation reminds me of the top on the Super Patrick. Just saying.

As for how I'm feeling, well it's been rainy here all day, I thought I had this thing beat but nope not 100% yet, but I do feel a whole lot better. Had to get up early for the cleaning lady and she sanitized the hell out of this place. Remarkable what the woman does in 4 hours !!

Mr. Beaumont, doggone it I thought I had your number stashed in my iPhone from May when I asked you to go see George Benson, but I couldn't find it. Being Memorial Day weekend has passed I figured I try to get you out here again. PM me when you can.

Hey
    Guys !!!

Big

With all this back slapping though I gotta say, The Unity's stand up to or surpass the Citation in many ways. Aaron Cowles was no slouch of a builder... You hear me Aaron !?!?!?! Nice work sir, you surely earned Resting IN Peace

User Info Menu

That’s what I was waiting to hear..
    I kind of figured they would be of similar quality. Most owners are very proud of those Unity guitars.
    You got the best of the best Mikey!

User Info Menu

With all this back slapping though I gotta say, The Unity's stand up to or surpass the Citation in many ways. Aaron Cowles was no slouch of a builder... You hear me Aaron !?!?!?! Nice work sir, you surely earned Resting IN Peace
    He also built at least one Citation i know of.
    Gibson Citation #22 1984 Brown | Reverb

User Info Menu

Lots of luck me getting a clear shot of the label, this is the only label I can spot in mine (I looked in both F holes), there's no signature, just the Model and Serial Number 2002-002. The chestnut mare in the last photo was spotted at the Arlington Four Amigos show by the kid that flaked out on me with the '57 ES175. It's just as well he did, I needed the $4500.00 to use towards this. Kismet ???

HA 2002 Gibson Citation-9197d04a-afd7-478c-9b00-df0b4ce29704-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-9197d04a-afd7-478c-9b00-df0b4ce29704-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-eca57b4f-f671-4183-8c4f-2c156243810b-jpg

User Info Menu

And that one doesn’t have the abalone..

User Info Menu

You look at the ones that Gary's Classic Guitars has and there's a couple with mother of pearl, like the Unity's have...
    They all are lovely in their own unique way...

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    He also built at least one Citation i know of.
    Gibson Citation #22 1984 Brown | Reverb

Jazznote,

Wasn't that the last year Gibson was in KZ ?? Olivia's now has THIS ONE for sale on Reverb.

Gibson CITATION #14 electric archtop featured in 1975 Gibson | Reverb

Like dogs to me, they're all precious in their own unique way.

Big

User Info Menu

I was just looking at all pictures you took.
    It really has to be the most beautiful guitar in the world.
    Mike, you really did good on that one.
    You NEED some hanging wall cases. Seriously. 4 of them. 2 of the Unitys, the Citation and George’s Guitar. You can sit in your loveseat and stare at them. The cases are $189 free shipping!!!
    Large Shadow Box Display Wall Cabinet for Acoustic Guitar, GTAR1 | eBay

User Info Menu

I'm too low profile for special display cases... And IF I had them I'd need one for the '39 L5P and a few of the Pattersons. And the bowl back K Yairi and so on and on... Aaaah, I prefer the lower key approach.

User Info Menu

^^^^^ That just might be the best line I’ve ever heard.. ^^^^^

User Info Menu

The Citation is over the top, but I can't stop thinking about the braised oxtail stew with all those vegetables. Gonna have to get me some oxtails.

User Info Menu

^ That just made me laugh out loud!

(actually anything BM makes is tough to get out of mind!)