The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 95

User Info Menu

Mike you got one heck of a guitar.
    There is no where to go from here. So, cook your unreal meals, go for walks and live forever. You got enough guitars to hold you over.
    The outpouring of support for a beloved member of this forum is heartwarming.
    Mike you are a good guy and we all feel good for you. Really good.
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats on your very special Citation NGD!

User Info Menu

One final note: someone was worried about how experienced Heritage was at packing. Let me tell you I was pulling teeth getting that guitar out of the box. The case was thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap (the fat kind) and it had more stuff at the end, sides, front and back. The inside of the case equally padded with tissue paper. The top and fingerboard entombed in tissue paper. The bridge and case humidifiers both equally entombed in tissue paper in the case pocket.

Probably the best packing job I have seen yet (no offense Marty Grass).

Big

User Info Menu

Wowza! That's what I call eye and ear candy! Congratulations, Big, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Big score! Big score for BigMike who doesn't do small! What lacquer checks???

Play it like it is meant to be played. That is a $25 000 guitar, Gibson's flagship. I wonder who built it...

Wow! Christmas came early for BigMike.

Just absolutely stunning

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats again Mike. Another beautiful blonde. You could put together a coffee table book. Everyone here would probably buy it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    There is no where to go from here. So, cook your unreal meals, go for walks and live forever. You got enough guitars to hold you over.
    Nicely said, Joe.

To that I add: ". . . and play those things. Every day, a lot!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats again Mike. Another beautiful blonde. You could put together a coffee table book. Everyone here would probably buy it.
    I guess I could too, but it would be more suitable for outhouse reading :-)

User Info Menu

Love the butterscotch. The cloud inlays are beautiful. That one needs to be on display, speaking of coffee tables!
    HA 2002 Gibson Citation-6f07abd2da2b6e1ea34e31718cc8a887-jpg

User Info Menu

Rain is on the way, no bright sun, and trying to shoot in this overcast produces a lot of reflections, BUT I wanted to show off the spruce in the top some so posted these full sized shots, hope you enjoy them.

Big

Coffee table book in the can, you know on Seinfeld if you took a book into the washroom YOU BOUGHT I
    T...

HA 2002 Gibson Citation-b509e114-7cb8-4e74-9a88-7c61a63bd21f-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-2864b6bd-2870-44fa-9b2b-170ef8477f1f-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-ed432739-56e1-43f8-a913-e7b9aa754b53-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-2426b76f-a35a-4a79-abfd-59e0acdd2cc7-jpg

User Info Menu

Real stunning Mike - a masterpiece from Gibson. The spruce top is extraordinary - what a buy.....wow !

User Info Menu

Check out the grain pattern of the spruce on Big Mike's Citation. Gibson was really using great spruce for that instrument.

User Info Menu

You don't see spruce grain like that every day...

User Info Menu

It is a beauty, are there marks on iether side of the right f-hole, maybe reflection.

User Info Menu

Citation's are usually waaaay too ornate for me, but this one, the wood speaks louder than the "bling." I like that.

User Info Menu

I'm assuming that's bearclaw. Man Gibson sure knows how to source wood!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    It is a beauty, are there marks on iether side of the right f-hole, maybe reflection.

User Info Menu

2002: same year, similar woods. Hutch on mine and maybe yours.

This won't compete with your Citation at all. But I wonder if 2002 was a good year for Gibson in acquiring spruce.

HA 2002 Gibson Citation-37523562621_43ed87f852_o-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-37523561631_e061343e91_o-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-37523561491_e56ef6b3f7_o-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-37523565411_686af8e6d6_o-jpgHA 2002 Gibson Citation-37523563481_775bc68efd_o-jpg

User Info Menu

Damned, guys! That's some flippin' fine-grained spruce, in both cases. The bearclaw on the Citation, though, is "outta sight."

Gibson brought its A-game to the table 15-years back. No doubt about it. They don't always build Citations, but when they have the wood, they do. They HAD the wood.

User Info Menu

I've never seen Spruce grain like that before. It's almost herringbone looking.

Big Mike's Citation and Marty's Switchmaster are both mighty fine examples of the best of the best!!

User Info Menu

The Citation is in a league by itself. The tightness of the grain and the silking are magnificent. There is some dramatic bear claw added for spice. The maple is outstanding as well.

I couldn't find any fault in the binding. It's masterful work.

I love the abalone. Some think that abalone is over the top. That's exactly the point of it.

What we can't tell is how it plays and sounds.

Some Gibson old timers told me long ago that natural is the best finish. It is the easiest to keep good looking. Dings and scratches don't show as much. Checking isn't as obvious either. All of those things are bound to happen eventually.

User Info Menu

Well this morning I tuned her up and played her through my trusty Texas Flood...

First off it's got 10 round wounds on her. (GRRRRRRR>>>>>) so it sounds a little bright. It really should have 12 flats on it to drive this lovely spruce top more. Gotta get Pete to look her over (which I am sure he'll enjoy) put some TI GB12 flats on her and set her up. But she's pretty doggone nice. Taller frets than I am used to seeing and on first test the neck seemed wide but shallow (flat in the back almost). This 2nd pass on her (just now, after my nap and a double espresso) she's pretty nice. But all this is said by a guy that still feels like going back to bed and sleeping. Haven't been sick since I was in Jersey and colds always hang with me, but I'm working on it...

As I'm sitting on the bed (under the office inset ceiling lights) I notice something winking at me along the fingerboard, yeah lovely little green abalone side dots for markers, they light up just like some really good Lightning Ridge opal or the markers on those Alembic bass guitars some cats use on stage. Just those subtle little details.

Give me a couple days to shake this crud (as I cough) off and we'll talk. Hopefully I get a sunny day where I can sit on my porch warming my bones and wave to the pretty ladies and not get the chills doing it. And then I'll tell you what I really think of her.

Big
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 11-01-2017 at 04:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Hope you're enjoying that BJB pickup. Get well soon BM!

User Info Menu

I read somewhere (Maybe "American Guitars" by Tom Wheeler) that Gibson reserves the very best woods for the Citation & Super 400 lines. Yours is, of course, no exception!

User Info Menu

Big Mike.

I'm very happy for you, this guitar is an absolute beaut
    ,and I applaud
    Jabberwocky's enthusiastic remarks. an absolute stunning instrument.
    Get well very soon Big, so that you and we can continue to drool over it.

Best SF