The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Yep, and believe me, I don't want to open the whole can of worms around "you'd have to try them to know" etc etc, I've seen it all. What I haven't seen is something less anecdotal and more facts-based. The Wegen Fatone is $19.20 Canadian, the Dunlop 5mm are $2.90 each. Is there a reason that can be explained in a way anyone can comprehend without buying one? That's all I want to know. The Blue Chip aren't and never will be under consideration, so not an issue.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Why is a Wegen so much more expensive than the equivalent size Dunlops, ie. these? I like supporting small businesses, and I know there must be a reason but would love to know it.
    These are handmade, will last forever and your going to support a small business.
    But most important, nobody makes Plectrums like the Wegens AND they sound good.

User Info Menu

My favorite for some time now is the Dunlop Ultex .88 large triangle.

Mark

User Info Menu

I too carry around a little plastic baggie...of something matted something dried and green...

I have been itching to buy something from manouchepicks.com .

User Info Menu

Fender Tru Shell Heavy. I use the Tru Shell Medium on everything else.

User Info Menu

John Pearse Fast Turtle 3mm

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    John Pearse Fast Turtle 3mm
    Coincidentally I just watched Mr. Beaumont's video comparing picks and loved the tone from this one!

User Info Menu

I've read the pick threads and always felt pretty sure, without trying one, that the expensive picks were simply a way to separate a guitar player from their wallet. Something like 'fake' news. Then one day, I remembered what a dear deceased friend and fishing buddy would say, which went something like this: You'd see guys out there in $100,000. boats, thousands of dollars worth of other gear, and at the business end of the fishing line they'd have some cheap shit, 3 for $5. sale bin lure, and wonder why they never caught fish! So, giving that some thought, I decided to try one of these $25 picks, having seen no problem buying TI strings that approached that amount. As it turned out, I love the Bluechip 60, have no idea what they're made of, but I can tell you, if I misplace it, I go into a panic, unlike the 3 for a dollar Dunlaps, so I have learned pick storage discipline to some extent, hating to panic about anything as frivalous as a pick. There are some sharktooth shaped picks that a friend gave me one of that I really like also, but I keep a bowl full of various Dunlap, Fender, etc. and it always depends on which guitar, strings, acoustic vs amp, which one I use. The Bluechip TD60 is my fav.

User Info Menu

Nothing fancy. I tend to reach for a Jim Dunlop Heavy Celluloid.

User Info Menu

I've been using a gravity pick, Classic Std 1.1, just feels right to me.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Thought it was definitely worth chiming back in here - because now I know there is NO QUESTION AT ALL that different picks provide me with massively different tone and volume. Very happy discovery for a guy who has leaned on mainly bog-standard Dunlop nylon for any picking needs.

Started out by getting a PM here from a member offering to sell some selections from his Wegens, so I chose the Trimus 250. Holy cow, it just makes my Godin bark, tremendous pick attack. A/B'ing it against the Dunlop Primetone 1.5mm I already had is night and day - the Dunlop is great for practice, quiet and far less attack, but the Wegen gives me instant swing rhythm joy.

I'm now waiting on 2 John Pearse Fast Turtles, heavy and x-heavy, a Wegen Fatone and a Wegen "The Button" (no, not the trouser button, the one that looks like it's been heavily worn down), and am excited to try them all. I'll still never drop $75 for a single pick mind you, but am now convinced that there are some pick makers and their users who are very much on to something I'd never guessed at.

User Info Menu

Dunlop primetone 307

Oh thanks for reviving my 4 year old thread. In case anyone's interested, I switched to blue chip picks and never looked back. Haven't lost one yet, and I used to lose my other picks all the time.

As a backup, I'm into dunlop primetone smooth finish (which just a blue chip knock off).

User Info Menu

Epistrophy went on a necrophilia spree and revived several long-dead threads. It happens every now and again.

User Info Menu

Hahaha. This is about keeping the forum alive. At least for me.

User Info Menu

For an acoustic archtop, Blue Chip Jazz 60. Worth the price. Really brings out the fundamental nicely without too much high-end.

User Info Menu

Blue Chip 80 for me on my archtop--I only have one, but I use it whether I play acoustically or plugged into an amp.

2mms of goodness.

I figure, I spent money upgrading everything else on my Eastman AR803. Why not upgrade my pick? Had it for two years. Keep it in a leather pocket. Haven't lost it yet--don't jinx me, peeps.

I used a stone pick for a couple of years before. Very silky and had a nice weight to it. Problem was that the stone was my natural compression pick. Flattened all my dynamics. No bueno. You need dynamics to play jazz--don't get fooled by the recording engineers who say elsewise.

The Blue Chip 80 is the thickest pick I've ever plucked with... that sounds appropriate Gives me the weight, attack, dynamics, and response I always wanted from a pick. I don't even notice the thickness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artdecade
    Bit of flesh and nail works for me.

Attachment 47222
    As an aside the person displaying his right hand in the photo is the superb classical guitarist David Russell: Home.