The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi,

I currently play a Gibson Super 400CES and an Ibanez Johnny Smith.

They are both big heavy guitars and I'm looking for a small bodied light guitar with a really sweet warm tone that is less than $1600. Something that is easier to carry around and is great for gigging.

Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sadowsky SS-15
    sorry, def not $1600....
    Last edited by Eric Rowland; 01-31-2019 at 04:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland
    Sadowsky SS-15
    That would be my recommendation too, but even used, it would be a lot more than $1600.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman T145 that I would be willing to part with. I could probably ship it for around that much. I need to help finance another Benedetto, and the Eastman isn't going to be played much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have an Eastman T145 that I would be willing to part with. I could probably ship it for around that much. I need to help finance another Benedetto, and the Eastman isn't going to be played much.
    I'd be all over that if it was a lefty! I missed my chance a few years ago. Sounds like this would fit the OPs needs!

User Info Menu

Ibanez SS300?

User Info Menu

This Eastman is very light weight and sounds beautiful. I played it last week during a visit to Music Zoo.

Eastman T49/v Archtop Electric Guitar Antique Amber – The Music Zoo

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I find carved tops typically sound warmer/rounder than laminates. Hard to find under $1,600. The one Eastman carved top I briefly owned in that price range was not particularly warm but it was a decent guitar...albeit feedback-prone due I think to the thin woods.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

$1600?

That will be close to the cost of the materials and tool wear and tear, and general cost to get the thing done.

Break out the tools and order up some wood, and sure you can bring that bad boy home for $1600.

Can anyone recommend a light 15 guitar with a really warm tone-8bad8a42-dfcc-4531-93d0-c78289d47873-jpg

Otherwise, look at the many great smaller archtops with laminate construction, and grab a pro-plec and some T-I JS112 strings. You will sound great+++.

User Info Menu

The SS-15 is a great guitar, but very very vanilla sounding. That extreme neutrality can be a great thing for many players. But do not expect the SS-15 to do any of the work. It is there to put out exactly what you put in and no more.

Great guitar, but not what some consider to be a woody tone partner to your playing.

User Info Menu

Why not a Les Paul? I think they sound really nice, but I don't play one anymore because the small body doesn't work for me ergonomically. I like to play sitting down with no strap and the LP's just slide right off my lap! So big fat archtops and flattops work great for me. But I think LP's can sound just great.

If solid body just isn't your thing, they even do one with F holes . . .

User Info Menu

I bought one two months ago and love it. Light... warm... clear... airy... comfortable... beautiful... and can be found used in your price range. Jim made some superb instruments. I’m glad I snagged one.

J287
    Last edited by vernon; 02-01-2019 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Vernon... so you're the one who beat me to it... curses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CTG
    Hi,

I currently play a Gibson Super 400CES and an Ibanez Johnny Smith.

They are both big heavy guitars and I'm looking for a small bodied light guitar with a really sweet warm tone that is less than $1600. Something that is easier to carry around and is great for gigging.

Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    This is the same quandary George Benson was in back in the mid-70's. Ibanez stepped up and the two of them developed the GB10.

The price WAS around $1,600. Now they are twice that, but can be found used for close to that amount.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jcc
    Vernon... so you're the one who beat me to it... curses.
    sorry man... it’s worth the hunt! I’ve seen some on Reverb although most are the longer scale Swans. Hope you find a nice one! I’ve learned that if something pops up that I really want, I pounce on it! Goslings are a lot more affordable than Ribbecke Halflings or Benedetto Bambinos... and just as good. All the best!

User Info Menu

I just got an Eastman T386. It’s 16” rather than 15”, but it’s quite light, and it warms up nicely.

Thanks all for your help. I ended up getting a Comins GHS1-ES and I'm loving it. It has a really nice feel, great tone and wts 7lbs.

Again, thanks for your help.

All the best,

CTG