The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

I can’t comment on the other amps mentioned in this thread. I can only comment on the Roland Micro Cube RX (5 watt) which I own. In my opinion It is an excellent practice / headphone amp.

This tone from this little amp eventually lead me to purchase a Roland Cube 80XL amp. Which I also find very nice for jazz. On both of these amps I almost always only use the JC Clean model.

Unfortunately the Micro Cube RX is not available anymore. During a quick web search I could not even find a used one for sale. Maybe a good sign as to how good this little amp is, if nobody wants to sell a used one. Roland still makes a Micro Cube (~$150). My brother has one and it sounds as good as my RX just not as many features.

l think a Roland Micro Cube would suit your needs at an affordable cost. Good luck in your quest.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    ... my Princeton-sized Gries 5 has a bigger footprint than I'd like at present.

I'm going through the process of thinking about very small amps such as the Henriksen Bud (one of which I sold before we moved -- doot!), the DV Mark Little Jazz, the Phil Jones Cub, etc. I really need something that will fit on a window sill or book shelf and that has a useable headphone feature. ...
    I'm guessing that by "doot!" you mean that you regret selling the Bud. So why not get another Bud, or a Blu if you need only one channel? You already know the amp and what it does, and since you called yourself "doot!" I think you liked the amp.

I have a Bud myself and like it pretty well. I especially like picking it up and moving it around like a loaf of bread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie
    I can’t comment on the other amps mentioned in this thread. I can only comment on the Roland Micro Cube RX (5 watt) which I own. In my opinion It is an excellent practice / headphone amp.

This tone from this little amp eventually lead me to purchase a Roland Cube 80XL amp. Which I also find very nice for jazz. On both of these amps I almost always only use the JC Clean model.

Unfortunately the Micro Cube RX is not available anymore. During a quick web search I could not even find a used one for sale. Maybe a good sign as to how good this little amp is, if nobody wants to sell a used one. Roland still makes a Micro Cube (~$150). My brother has one and it sounds as good as my RX just not as many features.

l think a Roland Micro Cube would suit your needs at an affordable cost. Good luck in your quest.
    Just out of curiosity, what additional features did the Microcube RX have? I have a Roland Mobile Cube, but the Microcubes have amp modelling (no idea if it's any good) and more flexibility. There's also a "GX" model now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    I'm guessing that by "doot!" you mean that you regret selling the Bud. So why not get another Bud, or a Blu if you need only one channel? You already know the amp and what it does, and since you called yourself "doot!" I think you liked the amp.

I have a Bud myself and like it pretty well. I especially like picking it up and moving it around like a loaf of bread.

Actually, I've solved the issue by taking up the classical guitar not too long after this thread was initiated. I've been enjoying it so much, I've rarely taken out my archtop (which I may end up selling in favor of a hybrid crossover type of nylon string).

I did end up purchasing the Quilter Microblock 45, which works really, really well -- sounds great and it's about the size of a deck of cards. For whatever reason, I'm just enjoying the total acoustic nature of the classical -- no wires, no pedals, nothing but strings and nails necessary to make what sort of passes for music for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    Actually, I've solved the issue by taking up the classical guitar not too long after this thread was initiated. I've been enjoying it so much, I've rarely taken out my archtop (which I may end up selling in favor of a hybrid crossover type of nylon string).

I did end up purchasing the Quilter Microblock 45, which works really, really well -- sounds great and it's about the size of a deck of cards. For whatever reason, I'm just enjoying the total acoustic nature of the classical -- no wires, no pedals, nothing but strings and nails necessary to make what sort of passes for music for me.
    I was just about to creat a thread asking opinions on the Quilter amp pedals. I’m thinking about the Interblock 45 for headphone practice and a backup amp. It can’t be too bad based upon the facial expressions alone of the reviewer, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    Just out of curiosity, what additional features did the Microcube RX have? I have a Roland Mobile Cube, but the Microcubes have amp modelling (no idea if it's any good) and more flexibility. There's also a "GX" model now.

The Micro Cube RX has 4 small speakers which are stereo. Since the amp is so small I’m don’t think the stereo feature is that important. The RX also has what is called a Rhythm Guide (Drum Machine), which I do find very useful while practicing.

User Info Menu

My THR10C is pretty much always on in the house. I love it. The only thing that bugs me is the clean headphone volume, with most of the amp models. I need to dial in the tiniest bit more gain than I'd like, but it's totally usable.

I've played around with the models and settings so much over the past 3 years, but this last year or so has just been fine tuning...to the point where I can't improve the tone. I think I'm ready for the real deal version of the model. Does anyone know what the "Class A" model simulates?

User Info Menu

Here's an explanation of Class A amps:
    Access Denied

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    Does anyone know what the "Class A" model simulates?
    Usually, this means a copy of a Vox AC 15 or 30. There's a widespread misconception that these are class A amps (they're class AB), and calling Vox copies class A has become a sales tool. It could mean it's a model of something like a Fender Champ (which is class A), but it probably doesn't.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Usually, this means a copy of a Vox AC 15 or 30. There's a widespread misconception that these are class A amps (they're class AB), and calling Vox copies class A has become a sales tool. It could mean it's a model of something like a Fender Champ (which is class A), but it probably doesn't.

John
    So do you think Class A = Vox AC? according to Yamaha?

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what the "Class A" model simulates?
    Ask an Audiophile!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

So do you think Class A = Vox AC? according to Yamaha?
    Googling around a bit, people say it's a model of a Matchless amp (essentially a modded AC 30). But I don't have one, so I don't know for sure. if it sounds good, use it.

John

User Info Menu

I live in a co-op, and I'm up to 3:30AM playing through a little Marshall MG Series CD 10

User Info Menu

Zoom G5n (does it all) with a pair of Sennheiser HD600, 650 or my personal favorite the HD 700.