13 6.13%
  • Princeton Reverb

96 45.28%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 91

User Info Menu

Which one do you prefer for jazz?

Once you have the model, With or without reverb?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Personally, I can't imagine a more heavenly clean tone (or even clean with a LITTLE drive on it) than a Princeton Reverb. I regret selling mine, and will have another someday.

The only exception: an EH-185, if you're going for the Charlie Christian thing (which has a little drive on it).

User Info Menu

I experienced that a no-reverb Princeton has much more headroom than a PR and can deal with much louder situations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Personally, I can't imagine a more heavenly clean tone (or even clean with a LITTLE drive on it) than a Princeton Reverb. I regret selling mine, and will have another someday.
    Also regret letting mine go.
    Last edited by JazzPadd; 10-07-2017 at 05:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Twin !
    Low Power Tweed Twin.
    So no reverb
    It is my next build, scheduled for this winter vacations

User Info Menu

I've got a 5C3/5E3 Deluxe clone and a 6G2 Princeton clone with a 15"speaker, and it's still a tough decision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Burrellesque
    I've got a 5C3/5E3 Deluxe clone and a 6G2 Princeton clone with a 15"speaker, and it's still a tough decision.

Those 6G2s are special. I prefer them over a PR, except I MUST have reverb... the PR reverb is heavenly.

Marsh used to make a 6G2 with bias trem and blackface reverb.... I forget what it was called.... 'bout perfect, seems to me.

Here it is - I forgot it's a 12" speaker tho, personally I'd rather have the 10" in a Princeton...

Marsh Amplification
    Last edited by ruger9; 10-05-2017 at 07:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Both are great. I've tried several and finally got a Deluxe.

But pllllllease Fender=reverb. This is mandatory for me.

Best to you.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 10-06-2017 at 05:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I got my Princeton Reverb from Vinny. And it was Vinnyatized.. Its the quietest, cleanest, purist amp I've ever played through. At 10-12 watts, it is surprisingly loud. The reverb on this amp is the best reverb I've ever heard. Clean, tubes, open back tightly build.. It checks all my boxes.
    JD

User Info Menu

I have a 5E3 Deluxe clone and a Princeton Clone with a 12 inch speaker (both with Guitar Warehouse speakers- can't say enough good things about these speakers) They are both excellent amps, with small differences in the sound. The Princeton has a bit more of what's called the "Fender blackface scooped mids" sound. The Deluxe seems to have more of a flat EQ. I go back and forth and can not choose one over the other. You need two amps!

User Info Menu

I have a Lil'Dawg WonderDawg which is a blackface style Deluxe type circuit in a 12" Princeton size cab with the mid tone control circuit from a Super. It has 6v6 power tubes and 12AU7/12AT7 pre-amp/reverb tubes. Sweet warm and lovely! I can selectively sub in 12AX7s if I want more drive. Great quality, service and support from an amp where you can talk to the designer/builder for less than a new Princeton Reverb reissue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I experienced that a no-reverb Princeton has much more headroom than a PR and can deal with much louder situations.
    . . . reflecting what a subjective topic 'response to gear' is.

My experience is that the Princeton NoVerb is too quiet for anything but practice at home -- it never breaks up but it never wakes up either. Respect to Jay, whose experience is 180 degrees different.

Depending on the band and the room, I usually bring a homebuilt 5E3 Deluxe to rehearsal and a 35-watt homebuilt 6L6 12" "SuperPrinceton Reverb" for gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rufes
    Which one do you prefer for jazz?

Once you have the model, With or without reverb?
    Assuming you're talking about BF, SF, and current RI's. Princeton Reverb is the one for me. In terms of quality of sound, it's probably a coin flip (I'd be happy with either), and a DR is a bit more versatile. But I have major space/storage constraints, so I have a PR (78). I don't care for the non-reverb variants of this era (from the other eras, I SFAICR, I've only tried tweed Deluxes).

John

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies.

I currently have an old '65 Deluxe Reverb. sounds very good but I was thinking that maybe a Princeton would be cleaner, warmer and specially LIGHTER

Another option that calls my attention a lot (even more) is an old Gibson EH150

My main amp is a AI clarus + RE stealth. One of the reasons I like it is because of the warmth but I want to have that tube sound too. However the DR does not get any attention lately.

User Info Menu

I voted Deluxe. For other styles of music I might choose differently, but I like the warm, woolly vibe from a 5E3 for jazz.

User Info Menu

I voted PR but I don't have one. I bought a Fender Super Champ X2 head which includes well-modeled Princeton tones. I also have a Fender George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe with reverb, overdrive channel and power amp input with 40W power. I wanted to get an idea of how a Princeton sounds before going in $1000+ into a combo amp. Still waiting for a great deal, maybe a small business built clone :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies.

I currently have an old '65 Deluxe Reverb. sounds very good but I was thinking that maybe a Princeton would be cleaner, warmer and specially LIGHTER

Another option that calls my attention a lot (even more) is an old Gibson EH150

My main amp is a AI clarus + RE stealth. One of the reasons I like it is because of the warmth but I want to have that tube sound too. However the DR does not get any attention lately.
    Cleaner: No (DR has a bit more power, headroom, and overall volume)
    Warmer: Somewhat, depending on settings, but their tones overlap a lot.
    Lighter: Somewhat, and because of the narrower form factor a bit less awkward to carry, but still pretty heavy.

John

User Info Menu

Remember pre-amp tube choice makes a huge difference in the tonal nature of these amps.

User Info Menu

Small venue: Princeton (I prefer non-reverb w/nos tubes for maximum headroom and tone)

Medium-Large venue: Deluxe Reverb (no-brainer...for me)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Small venue: Princeton (I prefer non-reverb w/nos tubes for maximum headroom and tone)

Medium-Large venue: Deluxe Reverb (no-brainer...for me)

It's sort of like my choice in cigars, I'd take a vintage Deluxe Reverb any day over a Princeton Reverb, not that it isn't a nice amp. I've got Patrick's
    silver face Princeton Reverb and an old Deluxe Reverb and hands down it's the DR... Like smoking a CoRo, I don't mind the price or weight to get that beefy experience every time.

Big

User Info Menu

van gelder blue note studio amp was tweed deluxe..say no more

cheers

ps- i think twin is the greatest fender amp...but too heavy these days..princeton is nice...i like the 68 princeton reissue lots..great sounding amp..(if u dont mind the pcb construction)

pps- another all time fave is brown deluxe...in between tweed and blackface...warm!!!
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-05-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    van gelder blue note studio amp was tweed deluxe..say no more
    Really? I didn't know that. Is there a picture where I can the studio with that amp?

User Info Menu

For jazz I prefer the DR. It’s not as massive a sound, let alone weight, as the twin. I like a smaller sound, even at loud volume. I don’t know how to explain this. The bass is comfortable for me and the tone is nice. The Princeton is too small.

I have an original 65 DR I had modified. No one would like the mod. I boogied it years ago, not really knowing what I had. But the tone is the same. I’ve had several repair shop guys ask me to sell it to them. Actually every single time I’ve brought it into some shop for clean up and repair the tech guy (different ones) has fallen in love with it and asks if I’d be interested in selling it. Long story about that amp. Funny. But no, I’m not selling it. Even now though, I never bring it out of my studio, but I play the Axe Fx exclusively and use the DR amp sound. OR better the Carr Rambler, which is an updated DR I used to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have the earliest of the SF DRs. There's just enough tubes in back to bake cupcakes during a 3 hr gig.

User Info Menu

Really? I didn't know that. Is there a picture where I can the studio with that amp?
    Good one. A lot of sources on the internet state that (amongst that an interview with Kenny Burrell if I recall correctly), but I have never seen any photo evidence either!