• Princeton

10 6.21%
  • Princeton Reverb

65 40.37%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 84 of 84

User Info Menu

It probably depends on the room/crowd size of the gigs you do.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It probably depends on the room/crowd size of the gigs you do.
    …. and the volume of the drummer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    …. and the volume of the drummer!
    This cannot be over-emphasized! The highest highs, the lowest lows and the strongest mids come from the drum set, mostly at 90 degrees from the other instruments. A bandshell will improve the mix, but they are vanishingly rare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    The highest highs, the lowest lows and the strongest mids come from the drum set.
    I gotta be honest - I’ve gotten more of the lowest lows from drummers than the highest highs.

User Info Menu

Drummerless bands are few and far between, and virtually unknown in rock. This is a pity.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about getting one of the TM Twin Reverbs and moving my 70+ pound Mark IV combo. The idea of a 2x12 that's 85 pounds, sounds just like a Twin, and can be overdriven at 1 Watt if I want (and weighs 33 pounds....) is very appealing. I have a modeler already (a Fractal AX8 pedal) so I think I'd be set for life, honestly. The Mk IV is a great sounding amp, though it can be a PITA to setup given the options, but it's 70+ pounds easy and frankly too heavy to want to move.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I'm thinking about getting one of the TM Twin Reverbs and moving my 70+ pound Mark IV combo. The idea of a 2x12 that's 85 pounds, sounds just like a Twin, and can be overdriven at 1 Watt if I want (and weighs 33 pounds....) is very appealing. I have a modeler already (a Fractal AX8 pedal) so I think I'd be set for life, honestly. The Mk IV is a great sounding amp, though it can be a PITA to setup given the options, but it's 70+ pounds easy and frankly too heavy to want to move.
    TM Twin Reverb makes a lot of sense, especially compared to a Mk IV. I sold mine a few months ago to a very happy fellow in the NJ. area.
    I loved that amp, but couldn't manage its weight any longer.

User Info Menu

I just took delivery of a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb, which is Lou's take on a vintage blackface Princeton circuit. There are differences though. The biggest being that it has a Mids control, which is fantastic. It's also got a 12" speaker and is 18 watts with 6v6s. It can take 6L6s, which would give you 28 watts. I think mine is plenty loud for most situations with the 6v6 set. It is such a great sounding amp for jazz. A more powerful vintage sounding Princeton with a Mid control...win win.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs13
    I just took delivery of a Louis Electric Columbia Reverb, which is Lou's take on a vintage blackface Princeton circuit. There are differences though. The biggest being that it has a Mids control, which is fantastic. It's also got a 12" speaker and is 18 watts with 6v6s. It can take 6L6s, which would give you 28 watts. I think mine is plenty loud for most situations with the 6v6 set. It is such a great sounding amp for jazz. A more powerful vintage sounding Princeton with a Mid control...win win.
    I have a similar, maybe the Bay Area version, a Fat Jimmy Gigmaster 20, similar wattage, with a negative feedback control. Princeton size with a 12" speaker, 6V6's. Very nice sounding amp, no middle control but the circuit is a bit tweaked with brown era attributes, so not purely a Princeton. A bit fuller sounding than the Fender BF circuit.