The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

You're better off to just get the acoustic guitar, and not bother with any electronics. Have him just ignore the pickup and pay a little less, and have it all installed locally. The pickup and pots are so bad, and so badly wired, you'll just trash them anyway. Wu makes a fine acoustic guitar, but the accompanying electronics are really bad. Let him keep them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Regarding your desired "finish." Be aware that the end result on sunbursts may be different than your preference. Mr. Wu does an excellent job on his finishes, but receiving the shading you want will likely be different than your selection. Notice that all of the sunbursts displayed thus far are each various degrees of the same sunburst finish. They lean more to the red than dark brown side. That was my experience as well. Just a word to anyone placing an order to avoid any disappointments. Best of luck with your order.

Larry, Bradenton, FL is only 30 miles from yesterday's mass school shooting in Parkland, FL. Condolences to your community and to the parents of those 17 children who were each gunned down in the hallways of that school. A darn shame!

User Info Menu

Red won't be horrible. Gibson started using more red in their sunbursts in the 60s. Lots of Tal Farlows came that way. I'll try to insist as much as I can...

Bradenton is more like 150-200 miles away, near Tampa/St. Pete. Parkland is western Fort Lauderdale/Coral Springs. I work in Davie, which is almost due west of the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport, but I live 42 miles away in Greenacres (insert Eddie Albert/Eva Gabor humor here).

Everyone is horrified down here, as is much of the rest of the country. At this point, the jailers are going to have to work very hard to keep him away from the population, as there are likely lots of folks "inside" who'd like to perform some "personal justice." I want him kept alive so he can be studied, like a lab rat.

User Info Menu

So, on my Wu I was not happy with the first shading results. Frankly, the shading was not close to my request, which was the shading from a D'Aquisto who was noted as having unique sunbursts. The guitar shade was much lighter and more red than my request. Lora ensured me that if the color was not to my liking I could request a redo. I didn't ask whether that redo was a stripping process of the archtop to remove the applied shade. Instead I compromised and requested that the shading be darker. Again, the shading wasn't what I requested, but it was something I could live with. I'm saying all this so anyone placing an order can avoid disappointment. I'm curious if the reason the same sunburst shadings are continuously duplicated over every Wu sunburst I've seen is because those are the only paints he has available to him. Notice too that the color red seems to be a common theme in countless sunburst finishes that I've seen, whether its a guitar finished in China, or Vietnam.

This is the shading I ordered:

and here is the guitar I received on the far right shot in daylight only:

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 02-15-2018 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I initially was thinking blonde, but when I saw Carles' teardrop I fell in love with the colour.

I'd like to see Yolanda Team make some changes to their website, perhaps reducing the number of guitars offered (not really needed since there's so much customization) and show some colour choices.

Bottom line - ya gotta' love it so why be unhappy?

P.S. Nice D'Aquisto!

User Info Menu

2B, that may not be what you ordered but BUDDY that is one fine guitar. I specifically asked for a Cherry Sunburst on my "Manhattan" knockoff and he really did a beautiful job. You know me I'm more of a blonde guy and the occasional flaming redhead... But if a brunette like yours walked by why I'd say hello !!!! LOL...

It's a fun process and where else are you going to get it custom ordered to your specs in less than 2-3 years at four times the price... Yeah tell them, no electronics and then get exactly what you want installed near you. It's what I did with my "Manhattan" (pics above I believe). Still haven't wired that one up yet... Still thinking about leaving it acoustic for good.

User Info Menu

My thoughts exactly BM! The guitar is such a WINNER I could live with it if the shade was Green. On that note, I'm green with envy every time I play this 18" Wu. Get yours while supplies last.

User Info Menu

For about $50 you can ship things like tuning machines, pickups, pots, and switches to Mr. Wu for install. Lora knows how and does an excellent job coordinating. I don't recommend having them do the soldering but you can save a step by having the hardware put in place. He did a really nice job installing Schertler tuning machines on one of mine even though they aren't standard template.

User Info Menu

Here’s my first Mr. Wu/Yolanda Team.

And a huge thanks to Ms. Lora for all the help.

I placed my order in June/July of 2017 and i received the guitar a few weeks ago. The guitar arrived in perfect condition. Setting the guitar up to my liking right out of the box was easy. I did not have to adjust the truss-rod neck bow. I placed the floating bridge on its correct spot and intonation was quickly done.

I will bring my guitar next week to my guitar-tech guy at the local repair-shop to have him replace the pickups, the wiring, the toggle-switch and the tone/volume knobs. Perhaps have him do a little fret polishing work, but that’s most likely not a priority for the guitar is already at playable state as it is when i took it out from the box as is.

My guitar is an 18” body width and 65mm deep. The neck is smooth and medium slim profile.

Show Us Your Wu?-43a26b71-561b-46af-9acf-bd420e2d5751-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks great - a classic look!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    You're better off to just get the acoustic guitar, and not bother with any electronics. Have him just ignore the pickup and pay a little less, and have it all installed locally. The pickup and pots are so bad, and so badly wired, you'll just trash them anyway. Wu makes a fine acoustic guitar, but the accompanying electronics are really bad. Let him keep them.
    Having the guitar made as a 100% acoustic is a most excellent idea, and I think I'll do just that. I'm a 2-1/2 year guitar student. No hurry! However, I still have a few items on which I need to decide:

• X-braced or parallel braced? I want to play in both the Marty Grosz style (with regular tuning, thank you!) and Freddie Green style. My uncle, the late Andy Nelson, always said that he loved the old bar-pickup'ed ES-150s because the tops were cross-braced--that they had a warm, buttery sound, and that's why he specified x-bracing for the Gobel L-5 CTs. (He traded two ES-150s to Chicago player, and later French expatriate Jimmy Gourley, for a blonde prewar L-5 noncutaway with a CC pickup that I guess Jimmy installed). At the same time, I want a cannon for rhythm playing. I have until the end of Chinese New Year to decide on this.

• Do I want to come up with an interesting logo/design for the peghead, or just leave it entirely unadorned? Thinking of either the old L-4/L-7/Citation Fleur du Lis, the L-5 flowerpot, or the Epiphone tree of life. I found the modern (post-1947) Gibson font and tried a few things (I'm pretty good with Photoshop), including "The Wu" in Gibson script, but it's just too short. Besides, it's hard to read. I've been looking to see if anyone did a complete alphabet in the pre-1947 Gibson script, but so far, no bueno. I really don't want to use my own name, as that'll really kill potential resale should I ever need to sell it. That's much too personalized. Also thinking about "Limited," for one of my favorite old cars, the 1958 Buick Limited, the ultimate chrome barge (using its side flank decorations for center ornamentation, and the "Limited" script for the top of the peghead). I need to try out (and reject) a few ideas...

User Info Menu

If you want loud, I think you want parallel bracing. But I don't think it's completely black and white.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ljgrinnell

• X-braced or parallel braced?

• Do I want to come up with an interesting logo/design for the peghead
    Fun process. Who ever thought we would have these kind of choices?

I would choose X braced just because that's what they are used to and what they do best. It's better if you don't go too far afield. They will try to accommodate you but there is a risk in pushing that envelope.

As for a logo, I did the one in my profile picture and I've enjoyed having my own artistic touch. However, if I were buying one today I would choose the script 'Wu' for the headstock. It's a classy look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Fun process. Who ever thought we would have these kind of choices?

I would choose X braced just because that's what they are used to and what they do best. It's better if you don't go too far afield. They will try to accommodate you but there is a risk in pushing that envelope.

As for a logo, I did the one in my profile picture and I've enjoyed having my own artistic touch. However, if I were buying one today I would choose the script 'Wu' for the headstock. It's a classy look.

Listen to Spook on this... Mr Wu lives out in the country, he doesn't know who Herb Ellis is, he doesn't know what a Super 400 or a Campellone looks like or how it's built. He was a cello and viola maker for the company that formed Eastman and he adapted quickly to archtops. BUT don't get out there too far, you might not like the results. As much as they strive to please there are some things best left untried with them.

User Info Menu

My 18" is X braced. And creating your own headstock inlay is easy. Simply allow your creative side to come out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ljgrinnell
    Having the guitar made as a 100% acoustic is a most excellent idea, and I think I'll do just that. I'm a 2-1/2 year guitar student. No hurry! However, I still have a few items on which I need to decide:

• X-braced or parallel braced? I want to play in both the Marty Grosz style (with regular tuning, thank you!) and Freddie Green style. My uncle, the late Andy Nelson, always said that he loved the old bar-pickup'ed ES-150s because the tops were cross-braced--that they had a warm, buttery sound, and that's why he specified x-bracing for the Gobel L-5 CTs. (He traded two ES-150s to Chicago player, and later French expatriate Jimmy Gourley, for a blonde prewar L-5 noncutaway with a CC pickup that I guess Jimmy installed). At the same time, I want a cannon for rhythm playing. I have until the end of Chinese New Year to decide on this.

• Do I want to come up with an interesting logo/design for the peghead, or just leave it entirely unadorned? Thinking of either the old L-4/L-7/Citation Fleur du Lis, the L-5 flowerpot, or the Epiphone tree of life. I found the modern (post-1947) Gibson font and tried a few things (I'm pretty good with Photoshop), including "The Wu" in Gibson script, but it's just too short. Besides, it's hard to read. I've been looking to see if anyone did a complete alphabet in the pre-1947 Gibson script, but so far, no bueno. I really don't want to use my own name, as that'll really kill potential resale should I ever need to sell it. That's much too personalized. Also thinking about "Limited," for one of my favorite old cars, the 1958 Buick Limited, the ultimate chrome barge (using its side flank decorations for center ornamentation, and the "Limited" script for the top of the peghead). I need to try out (and reject) a few ideas...
    Here’s the design I came up with for the headstock (thank you Photoshop!).

The order went in, along with a substantial down payments. Now, we’re going through the details. I went with x-bracing and no electronics. This is fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Any new Wu builds out there? I'd love to see them and I'm sure there may be others that feel that way too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Regarding your desired "finish." Be aware that the end result on sunbursts may be different than your preference. Mr. Wu does an excellent job on his finishes, but receiving the shading you want will likely be different than your selection. Notice that all of the sunbursts displayed thus far are each various degrees of the same sunburst finish. They lean more to the red than dark brown side. That was my experience as well. Just a word to anyone placing an order to avoid any disappointments. Best of luck with your order.

Larry, Bradenton, FL is only 30 miles from yesterday's mass school shooting in Parkland, FL. Condolences to your community and to the parents of those 17 children who were each gunned down in the hallways of that school. A darn shame!
    I got my Wu in early June. The sunburst finish was perfect. The guitar plays like a dream. I’m so glad I did it. It was, in part, a reward to myself after going through 43 radiation treatments for prostate cancer. PSA went from 4.7 to 0.7. If not a cure, it's certainly the next best thing. Life’s too short, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ljgrinnell; 08-20-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Wanted to add this...

User Info Menu

Well... I had both an 18" and 17" Wu made over the past three years and now have received (NGD) my 16" that I ordered. I'm sharing it here with you.

CamillusUSA

Show Us Your Wu?-20210831_090603-2-jpg

Show Us Your Wu?-20210831_090718-2-jpg

Show Us Your Wu?-20210831_090631-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar! Congratulations.

User Info Menu

So while beautiful looking guitars for sure, how do they sound? I'm imagining they are thinner tops and backs like Eastmans, which follow the more modern Benedetto construction.

Can thicker older style Gibson Johnny Smith be ordered as well. Or is it simply aesthetic and different size body, scale length?

User Info Menu

Mr Wu will build to your wishes...

as i mentioned i now have a 16", 17" and 18" all sounding differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CamillusUSA
    Well... I had both an 18" and 17" Wu made over the past three years and now have received (NGD) my 16" that I ordered. I'm sharing it here with you.

CamillusUSA

Show Us Your Wu?-20210831_090603-2-jpg

Show Us Your Wu?-20210831_090718-2-jpg

Show Us Your Wu?-20210831_090631-2-jpg
    That’s got to be Wu’s finest ever build right there. Beautiful guitar! Congratulations Camillus!

User Info Menu

Thanks 2B - it's very nice.... the nut is not perfect, but I'll attend to that over the next month (it's ever so minor).
    Last edited by CamillusUSA; 09-01-2021 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Man.. that is one great looking guitar. Nice spec Camillus.