The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

I am just starting out on jazz guitar - this is my first post seeking guidance/suggestions regarding my 70s Gibson ES-175D. I bought this guitar without pickups for a great price and it is in excellent condition, no cracks, straight neck, little fret wear, nice low action. Can anyone tell me if the 57 classic pickups would be a good choice for that traditional warm, round and mellow tone it is known for?

As I said, I am new to jazz guitar and do not know much about pickup choices like all you pros do. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For a L-O-N-G time 57 classics were standard, so if you want it to be current sounding, you can't go wrong there. Some are now coming with MHS pups (like the 2016 - 1959) and since AFAIK Gibson is not selling the MHS separately your best bet is the 59's to make it current.

Then again, this may be an opportunity for you to play around with it. There are many offerings to try, but one I personally would stay away from is the SD "Jazz" it's known to not be anything like a Jazz player would use.

OH, we're NOT all pros :-)
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 09-29-2017 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum LatinJazz...
    Where are you located, what country ??
    Yes the Classic 57 would be a good choice, so would a Duncan Seth Lover, or a Lollar low wind. Other guys have other favorites. I like the Duncan Seth Lovers because you can get them with gold covers for about $105.00 on eBay. They nail that classic PAF tone about as good as anyone else since Seth Lover designed the original PAF for Gibson waaaay back. Others will differ, but show us some photos of the guitar just to keep things flowing.

Again, welcome to the forum

BigMike

User Info Menu

Or if you want to go the single coil rute, there are P90 and Charlie Christian style PUs in humbucker mounts from say Pete Biltoft or Jason Lollar. I like Biltofts HCC a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    ...I like the Duncan Seth Lovers because you can get them with gold covers for about $105.00 on eBay....

Again, welcome to the forum

BigMike
    Sadly, there wasn't when I bought mine, but YMMV...it all depends on who lists what and when you look.

I ponied up the $$ for mine on Amazon, but they came with a really nice prewired harness for an ES-335.

If I saw a set for $105, I'd snag 'em and find a home for them afterwards.

User Info Menu

The old Ibanez super 58s (late 70s early 80s) are within spitting distance of PAFs to my ears, and I have both. If you can find them (about 200-250USD) they are a steal compared to real PAFs where you'll need to sell your grandmother and both your parents to be able to buy.

User Info Menu

57 Classics are a good choice as well as many others like Seth Lovers, Manluis Landmarks, Vintage Vibe PAFS, etc. It comes down to personal taste and which can be had at the best price.

User Info Menu

I recently changed the pickups in my 175 I got the guitar in trade and the person had put gold everything on it, so I was getting back to looking normal. I got a set of used SD Seth Lover's at a great price and they sound excellent to me in this guitar. The only thing about Seth Lover's to me is they took a bit longer than others to tweak to find the sweet spot. But I just keep a screwdriver in my practice areas and adjust a bit here and there till I find what I like. So SD Seth Lover's can be found at good prices if you look around. Also Heritage guitars many of them come with SD '59's which is less expensive than the SD Seth Lover and lots of those on used market.
    Last edited by docbop; 09-29-2017 at 02:38 PM.

User Info Menu

I love the classic 57s in my ES-333: classic Gibson tone and they are a jack of all trades and sound convincing in all genres. Criticism could be the don't really excel in jazz if you want things to be a bit more open and clear sounding. From your description I think you can hardly go wrong with the 57s, but otherwise the Burstbuckers come to mind. I have those in a Japanese 175 copy and they sound very good in there. Indeed a bit more open, clear and defined, where the 57s always sound warm and comfortable. I was surprised how much the Burstbuckers sound like an early 80ies patent number humbucker that came with my ES-125 (and got replaced by a P90).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Sadly, there wasn't when I bought mine, but YMMV...it all depends on who lists what and when you look.

I ponied up the $$ for mine on Amazon, but they came with a really nice prewired harness for an ES-335.

If I saw a set for $105, I'd snag 'em and find a home for them afterwards.

I never said SET, you were inferring that son. I did a quick look around and yup the Seth Lover gold covers are going for $105.00 to $114 a piece. More like $115.00 for the versatile Four Wire versions.

It really is all about personal preference as you'll find reading the comments that will be rolling in.

Show us some photos Latin Jazz !!!

User Info Menu

I don't know what pickups are in my ES-275 Montreux, but it sounds fabulous. Also, I put a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary in my Sadowsky archtop and I really like that too.

PAF(R) 36th Anniversary | DiMarzio
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-29-2017 at 01:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary too. Added a whole bunch of richness and warmth to my Eastman.

User Info Menu

Any PAF type pickup will do. Your guitar originally came with T-tops, which are not terribly expensive if you want to go "vintage correct".

My choice would be Duncan 59's which are essentially 57 Classics with alnico 5 magnets (the same type of magnets found in T-tops. 57 classics use alnico 2).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I love the classic 57s in my ES-333: classic Gibson tone and they are a jack of all trades and sound convincing in all genres. Criticism could be the don't really excel in jazz if you want things to be a bit more open and clear sounding. From your description I think you can hardly go wrong with the 57s, but otherwise the Burstbuckers come to mind. I have those in a Japanese 175 copy and they sound very good in there. Indeed a bit more open, clear and defined, where the 57s always sound warm and comfortable. I was surprised how much the Burstbuckers sound like an early 80ies patent number humbucker that came with my ES-125 (and got replaced by a P90).
    Agreed, I don't think you can go far wrong with Classic 57s especially if you are looking for a warm dark sound. In my opinion they sound very similar to early 60s Patent No humbuckers which are really short magnet PAFs.
    However, I haven't tried a Burstbucker to make a comparison.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your feedback!
    I see there are many options that I can go with so I think this weekend I may have to spend some time on Youtube listening to a few of the pickups recommendations from you guys.

I will be checking Ebay and local listings for a used set once I select my top 3.

THanks again and I will keep you guys posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

I never said SET, you were inferring that son. I did a quick look around and yup the Seth Lover gold covers are going for $105.00 to $114 a piece. More like $115.00 for the versatile Four Wire versions.

It really is all about personal preference as you'll find reading the comments that will be rolling in.

Show us some photos Latin Jazz !!!
    Fair enough. You did not state set. My bad.

Neigh upon 50 years upon my head, and I'm still getting called son. lol Maybe I'll get carded at the liquor store on the way home tonight.

Happy Friday....have a great weekend Mike.

User Info Menu

And btw, you only need 1 pickup fro your 175, not a set

Gibson ES-175D - Purchased Without Pickups-pat-metheny-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

Indeed.

Gibson ES-175D - Purchased Without Pickups-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Herb Ellis is one of my big heroes ! I think the tone of his 1953 175 with the converted humbucker is about as good as it gets.

User Info Menu

If someone carded me I'd be tipping them !!

Gibson ES-175D - Purchased Without Pickups-14925550_10154131861962239_3737087926241929315_n-1-jpg

Last time I got close to that 175 it was in 1990 at Villa Montalvo (Parallel Realities Tour with Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland and Jack DeJonette), was held together with a lot of duct tape. (the sticker in the middle of the top says "New Kids On The Block", some pop apparition from that era). It sounded divine

Gibson ES-175D - Purchased Without Pickups-175cls-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 09-29-2017 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Herb Ellis is one of my big heroes ! I think the tone of his 1953 175 with the converted humbucker is about as good as it gets.
    I can’t argue, but it sounds great in the old recordings with the P90 in it too! Or rather, Herb sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I can’t argue, but it sounds great in the old recordings with the P90 in it too! Or rather, Herb sounds great.
    Agreed.

User Info Menu

IMO Gibson 57 pickups are nice -- reference stuff others are gauged against.

User Info Menu

And a toothbrush to hold your strap in place.

User Info Menu

I don't know what pickups are in my ES-275 Montreux, but it sounds fabulous. Also, I put a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary in my Sadowsky archtop and I really like that too.

PAF(R) 36th Anniversary | DiMarzio
    Woody, they are MHS pick ups in the ES275's