The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

One of my students turned up with a beautiful Peerless Leela. I've not a lot to say other than it is the best mid-priced jazz guitar I've ever played. Faultless.

That's all. Just thought I'd pass it on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Based on my one Peerless experience I would have to say pretty much the same. I bought a Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro a couple of months ago from Guitar's N Jazz and the workmanship/QA was faultless. I wasn't happy with the string spacing at the bridge considering the wide neck specs but I readjusted the spacing at the bridge and got it to where I like it. One of the only Asian built guitars I've owned where I haven't felt the need to change the pickup. Very pleased.

User Info Menu

Martin likes a wide nut. I don't think the Leela is as wide. Fine company, Peerless.

User Info Menu

I play all fingerstyle and it was one reason I purchased the MT, but I suspect that Peerless in order to control cost used the same bridge and tailpiece that they use one all there guitars which negated benefits of the wide nut. I just sanded out the precut grooves in the bridge and recut them according to my desire.

I see that MT is playing a Fibonacci guitar now. Not sure what the difference is except for a 15" bout versus a 16" bout.

The Peerless MT has a 24.6 scale length which is very different from the guitars I normally play e.g. 25.5. I like the shorter scale length when it comes to chords and I like the sweetness of the B&E strings but I like the tighter bass of the 25.5. I'm pursuing a multiscale archtop as a result.
    Last edited by rob taft; 09-26-2017 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the Leela is one of the more interesting guitars in the Peerless line...seems to be rather more "theirs" than loosely related to D'Aquisto styling like some of the others.

Solid maple tops can be cool too. They impart a dark natural tone.

User Info Menu

Yes, Jeff, it has a dark sound, and a bit of that elusive thunk too. I was very impressed. The acoustic sound is ok for practising with, nothing more, as it has an in-set humbucker. However, once plugged in - I have a Henriksen 12" - it sounded fantastic, and was very easy to get around on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Yes, Jeff, it has a dark sound, and a bit of that elusive thunk too. I was very impressed. The acoustic sound is ok for practising with, nothing more, as it has an in-set humbucker. However, once plugged in - I have a Henriksen 12" - it sounded fantastic, and was very easy to get around on.
    From the beginning of my period as agent for Peerless in France - maybe ten years ago, I owned and or played all the 'jazz' models and the Leela was a personal favourite.

Comparison with the Monarch here............................

I think Doc Dosco told me that it was named after the Lee family who own Peerless. Trivia note.

User Info Menu

The Leela is an interesting guitar. I wished they would make a short scale model with an 1 3/4 nut with, so basically a Sadowsky Jim Hall model, but without the crazy price tag. If they would apply a nitro finish, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

User Info Menu

I didn't intend to buy this guitar, but one of my students turned up with one, and I was highly impressed. Plus, Ivor mairants' shop had a Christmas Sale in which it was offered at a low price. It didn't sell - I kept my eye on it. Then they had a January Sale, and finally a Winter sale. It kept getting lower and lower, and finally I gave in. Luckily I sold my banjo, and the money raised covered the cost...so here it is.

I had some trouble with the earthing of the tailpiece, and Ivor Mairants' refused to answer my emails about it - poor show, but as I got it so cheaply I'm not complaining. All works perfectly.

The guitar sounds lovely, but I haven't got around to recording a video yet - my eye is still recovering from a cataract op - but hopefully I'll get a video done soon.

The playability is first-class. A beautiful neck/fingerboard, which is a joy to play. The bridge wheels allowed a low action with ease, so the set up is perfect for me.

What else? It looks rather gorgeous, as my friend, Charlie The Bear will concur...Somewhat dark images...not much light being allowed through the window, as I'm currently favouring low light.

Peerless Leela-charlie3-jpg

Peerless Leela-front2-jpg

Peerless Leela-pup-jpg

Peerless Leela-side-jpg

Peerless Leela-selfie-jpg

User Info Menu

Peerless Leela-fingerboardbw-jpg

Peerless Leela-head-jpg

User Info Menu

beautiful finish!!

congrats.

...sometimes guitars show up in your life like an unexpected woman.....

User Info Menu

Peerless is yet another brand that deserves more attention from players. Congrats, and enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Very nice - I’m picky about red on guitars but I like that finish a lot. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

What a beautiful instrument - cooly elegant and gracefully understated - tasteful and tasty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

The Peerless brand has experienced a lot of exposure here. Their Cremona, which the Leela is largely based upon, has seen many NGD's here! Congrat's Rob, that guitar is a winner!

User Info Menu

Very nice guitar. I played the Leela model at the Summer NAMM several years ago and liked it a lot. Almost bought the guitar from the NAMM show. IMO, closest thing to a Benedetto Bravo that I have played.
    Last edited by Steve Z; 02-03-2018 at 08:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Cheers, lads. It's a very fine guitar, impeccably made. Has its own voice, which I like, and doesn't appear to be aping anything else. I might try a video tomorrow.

User Info Menu

well it's got jimmy d'aquisto vibe all over it..and thats always a good thing!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    well it's got jimmy d'aquisto vibe all over it..and thats always a good thing!!

cheers
    Personally, I love how the Leela takes it to a step better than the Cremona by placing the pickup closer to the neck end. These are really great guitars folks...I've owned nearly a dozen of them over the years.

User Info Menu

I think the Leela is a remarkably beautiful guitar. I looked for one for a year and never came up with one that was available. Congratulations and I look forward to seeing and hearing you play it.

User Info Menu

Love the deep burgundy as opposed to the candy-apple red one sometimes sees! Almost bought one form Guitars-N-Jazz, but went with an Eastman--forever to ponder the path not taken! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

That Guitar also looks to have some really nice fretwork on it - hard to tell from photos - so is the fretwork as nice as it looks ?

There are so many Peerless Models ( including 25.5" scale Models )- and the Demos almost always sound excellent, even the lower priced ones
    always seem to sound really good .

User Info Menu

The Peerless factory seems to be producing nothing but winners for quite some time now.

However, I have the impression that's always been a bit underrated in this forum... so what's your take? Is it just me with this impression?

User Info Menu

Oh, the fretwork is pristine, perfection. I can't fault it. To be honest, I had a 1957 reissue Gibson 175, now sold. I prefer the much cheaper Leela.

User Info Menu

Trivia corner. I think it was Doc ( Dosco ) who told me that that model was named by and after the Lee family who own Peerless.