This must be your finest hour so far, the guitar has a wonderful timbre
    the first rendition sounds so good, I won't compete with the accolades
    already bestowed on you here. But congratulations on this great
    acquisition, we all know that you will do it justice. The very best to you
    my friend

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yes.. (even from the one brief/hummy vid), that guitar seems to have enough tonal definition, clarity, volume and nuance that it would be great for fingerstyle use!!!
    makes complete sense..fact that the previous owner dd used it that way..well..it's in the wood. explore!!
    for me - fingers...what you lose in (single line) speed, you make up for in soul & texture.
    Neatomic, Agreed. Totally. You are right that it's in the wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    All the 18s I have played have been very memorable. They are, if you will, the concert grand pianos of the guitar world. Even more than a well-made dreadnought guitar, e.g., Martin D-28 through D-45 of fine vintage, great 18" carved archtops are clear, even, authoritative, and exhibit a bass-to-treble timbre that the 16"-17" guitars just don't match.
    Although the "18s" were originally carved to produce big volume to anchor big bands, they really excel in the George Van Eps/Johnny Smith solo guitar music arena.
    You can see and hear this in Joe's clip, IMO.
    If you ever get to play a D'Angelico, a vintage acoustic Super-400, an Epiphone Emperor, etc., you will "get it." This won't necessarily erase from your minds what it is that makes a 16" Gibson L-5 from the 20s so spectacular, or what makes a great acoustic 17" carved archtop just right. It will, however, let you know that--just as there exists a Stienway Model D, or a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand to push out the big repertoire--there exist big guitars to effortlessly ring out the authoritative bass along with the pure mids and trebles. It's a clear, dry, airy sound that says "this is quality."
    Joe, do enjoy your 18" HJS.
    GT elegantly put. And not a single dead spot on it. No Wolf tones. It's high end all around. I'm dying to jump back on my GJS though. But I want to learn to do good on this. My timing is off on it. I just need additional reps. But you nailed it, bullseye. This is a great example of a big guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    It's a SpinalTap moment Joe, another 11 on the cool scale. And talk about big bottoms, between the 18 size and low end tone this baby's got em.
    Cavalier, thank you sir. The guitar is an amusement park..
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I can't believe you never played FS before. It's 90% of what I play. I can't wait to hear more. That guitar has an exceptional range. And finess...One can clearly hear that in your trial clip.
    Joe, I couldn't be more happy you're now the owner of this really unique 1 off of a HJS!
    After owning so many 18" SE's I've always wanted to own an acoustic Super 400. I came close to buying one w/a D1100 for $7k. Still, I'm hearing that Joe's specific 18 is very special. I'm guessing its larger 18" size, 3 3/8" depth, with a thicker back, would balance out any brightness of a thinner top.
    It was brightness and lack of bass that caused me to sell a unique 17" HJS - w/a rose.
    2b, I have played FS, but not like this.. it's just coming naturally on this guitar.
    Thanks bro. I'm happy too. The other 2 HJS's are great, don't get me wrong. But as you know, the 18 is more than just a novelty. It open up a world possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe,
    This must be your finest hour so far, the guitar has a wonderful timbre
    the first rendition sounds so good, I won't compete with the accolades
    already bestowed on you here. But congratulations on this great
    acquisition, we all know that you will do it justice. The very best to you
    my friend
    SF, thank you my man. No competing, just let it roll.. I'm kidding. The guitar is the star. I am so glad I have it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    …Also my JS has quite a pronounced widening on the back too. It has the deep carve at the hips too, like the Unity. …
    what is the purpose of the thicker back and thinner hips?
    The back is thicker than the front. More carved at the edges, especially in the hips. Guitar Thickness at the rim, 3-3/8 and the middle I'd have to guess 3-3/4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Bowl carve.
    My understanding is that the guitar has a slightly domed back. So the rims are slightly deeper at the waist area than at the neck or butt ends of the instrument. This is an old technique often used on flattop guitars (like a Martin M-36, for instance).

In addition to that, it sounds like the back plate has also been carved with a higher arch than you are used to seeing, and a more noticeable recarve - is this what you mean by "thicker back and thinner hips?"

Other than the custom rim depth, the body dimensions appear to resemble those of a Super Eagle. Here is a photo of an acoustic SE for comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage 18" Johnny Smith-heritage-se-sbc-front-jpg Heritage 18" Johnny Smith-img_4030-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-17-2017 at 12:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    My understanding is that the guitar has a slightly domed back. So the rims are slightly deeper at the waist area than at the neck or butt ends of the instrument. This is an old technique often used on flattop guitars (like a Martin M-36, for instance).

In addition to that, it sounds like the back plate has also been carved with a higher arch than you are used to seeing, and a more noticeable recarve - is this what you mean by "thicker back and thinner hips?"

Other than the custom rim depth, the body dimensions appear to resemble those of a Super Eagle. Here is a photo of an acoustic SE for comparison.
    My Heritage built D'Angelico replica has the body demensions of a Super Eagle, so it is not an exact replica of the 1961 D'Angelico New Yorker that Heritage had to use as a model. The body is two inches shorter than John D'Angelico's 18 inch guitars. Patrick D'Amato, a former owner of this guitar mused on this forum (about this guitar) that better communication skills would have improved the outcome, as the Tailpiece is an exact replica (made by the same company that made John D'Angelico's Tailpieces) and the tailpiece should have been shortened to make up for the 2 inch shorter guitar.

But that said, it is not a Super Eagle with different cosmetics. While a Super Eagle mold was used (My guess is that Heritage did not see a good reason to make a new mold for a small batch of guitars), the top was carved differently than a Super Eagle. Jay Wolfe (another former owner of my guitar) told me that JP Moats was seeking to replicate the warm sound of a D'Angelico New Yorker and carved the top substantially thicker than he would a Super Eagle. (BTW, Max405 is another former owner of my guitar)

I would guess that Johnny Smith, being particular about his signature model would have specified certain particulars (the full contact neck being one of them) and that while the 18 inch HJS might share the body dimensions with a Super Eagle, I would be willing to bet that it is a different beast altogether, and with only 2 ever made (and with Johnny Smith and JP Moats being gone, no more will ever be made), this HJS is among the rarest of the rare. And she is in the right hands for sure.

User Info Menu

It's funny, I think the HDA ended up right where it belongs too.
    SS, We are lucky. These guitars were made, ultimately to be played. The right music just sounds right on these guitars. I think both guitars found their homes.
    As much of a struggle that it can sometimes be, I never thought I'd be in this position in my life. Owning elite level rare guitars.. I gotta pinch myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My Heritage built D'Angelico replica has the body demensions of a Super Eagle, so it is not an exact replica of the 1961 D'Angelico New Yorker that Heritage had to use as a model. The body is two inches shorter than John D'Angelico's 18 inch guitars. Patrick D'Amato, a former owner of this guitar mused on this forum (about this guitar) that better communication skills would have improved the outcome, as the Tailpiece is an exact replica (made by the same company that made John D'Angelico's Tailpieces) and the tailpiece should have been shortened to make up for the 2 inch shorter guitar.

But that said, it is not a Super Eagle with different cosmetics. While a Super Eagle mold was used (My guess is that Heritage did not see a good reason to make a new mold for a small batch of guitars), the top was carved differently than a Super Eagle. Jay Wolfe (another former owner of my guitar) told me that JP Moats was seeking to replicate the warm sound of a D'Angelico New Yorker and carved the top substantially thicker than he would a Super Eagle. (BTW, Max405 is another former owner of my guitar)

I would guess that Johnny Smith, being particular about his signature model would have specified certain particulars (the full contact neck being one of them) and that while the 18 inch HJS might share the body dimensions with a Super Eagle, I would be willing to bet that it is a different beast altogether, and with only 2 ever made (and with Johnny Smith and JP Moats being gone, no more will ever be made), this HJS is among the rarest of the rare. And she is in the right hands for sure.

User Info Menu

It's the same story with my HDA Excel, the body on the original, a 1951 if I remember was a couple inches longer. Heritage used a Golden Eagle mold but carved a thicker top. These are remarkable instruments. A guy out on eBay has a Heritage New Yorker he was $16,900 for last time I looked... eeeeek !!!
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 09-17-2017 at 03:38 PM.

User Info Menu

As much of a struggle that it can sometimes be, I never thought I'd be in this position in my life. Owning elite level rare guitars.. I gotta pinch myself.

you really earned it with years of patience & practice..now you're ready...your playing deserves nothing less!!

there's an old saying...when the student is ready, the master appears..same applies to guitars...when you get to a certain level, the guitar you need (or something close) will line up

not that you wouldn't sound good on squier strat!! hah

enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks Neatomic. That was really nice buddy.
    In this case Mike was a guardian Angel for me.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Thanks Neatomic. That was really nice buddy.
    In this case Mike was a guardian Angel for me.
    Joe D

Max was consigliere to me when trying to land the Unity and other guitars from Patrick's estate. I never forget my friends or a favor. I also never forget a betrayal... (us Crazy Irish !! LOL !!).

User Info Menu

famiglia!!!..in whatever language!!! what holds the core of this here forum together..

we know the gang..and i salute you all!

cheers

User Info Menu

Thumbs up if you too are waiting with great anticipation for the next song video from this great archtop!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 09-17-2017 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I have to get a grounding issue worked out. Working on White Christmas (I'm a fan of the holidays). But I put a temporary one in my original post, My Romance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    WOW that axe has it all ! Gorgeous tone and looks.

Mikey your heart is bigger than the Grand Canyon !

Mark, Dick Tracy has nothing on you !

Thank you both for taking care of our boy !

Trust me behind that beautiful 18' maple back is another piece of wood.
    You mean he can accompany himself on percussion ?

User Info Menu

MB, Yes I can! Like a kick drum!
    JD

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing. I thought I was listening to JS himself.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Beautiful playing. I thought I was listening to JS himself.
    Keith
    Thank you Keith. But if Johnny heard you say that he'd probably say, "in the end, it got so bad and I use to play like that. That's why I retired.."
    i appreciate it Buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

MB, Yes I can! Like a kick drum!
    JD
    I am getting a picture in my head and it is a baaaaaaaaaad picture.

Don't beat it with a big stick, please. You'll get sore and Mrs. D is not gonna be pleased.

User Info Menu

Jabbs, I couldn't possibly beat it with a big stick. I got what I got..

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I am getting a picture in my head and it is a baaaaaaaaaad picture.

Don't beat it with a big stick, please. You'll get sore and Mrs. D is not gonna be pleased.

User Info Menu

For those interested..
    i made a couple of important tweaks today.
    I adjusted the height of the pickguard, which for me was about 3/16 too low. This helped my timing and allowed me to pick cleaner and faster. Also, I raised the height of the pickup in the process and It became louder and clearer.
    since our relative humidity has began to to drop, I noticed some buzzes and distortion around the bridge. I had VERY light tension on the fingers on my tailpiece so I tightened them down a bit. Most of the buzzes are gone.
    I am beginning to zero in on this guitar. I am growing attached to it. It's big sound and commanding presence won me over.
    Once again, thanks Mark for finding this magnificent guitar and Big Mike for Making it possible for me own it.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

constant tweaking required!! the guitar set up should never hinder what you imagine yourself playing...and it changes like /with the seasons

nice

cheers

User Info Menu

I want to hear the "tweaked" version!

User Info Menu

I guess all manufacturers have weaknesses. This is my 4th Heritage and it will be the 4th time I have to get the bridge recut.
    Now there is an excuse with this guitar. It is so loud, when my wife is working downstairs she sometimes asks me to turn it down. I yell back down, "I don't even have it plugged in!".. so much energy comes from this guitar, it can make the bridge vibrate! It's a Tom-Tom drum.
    I will have to take it in to the shop. I want to see if Ronaldo can do it while I wait. This way I could guard the guitar so he doesn't put any scratches in it.. And then I'll hear, "Joe whatayou want? Ima 83 years old. I do da best a that I can..."
    JD

User Info Menu

Max405,
    If its the bass that needs fitting to the top, thats not too difficult to do. There are several videos on You Tube. If your uncomfortable with trying it, or with Rinaldo, Im sure Chris M can do it in about 30 mins. Ive watched Bryant and John M do this several times. Your new HJS sounds like a Cannon - glad your enjoying it .

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I guess all manufacturers have weaknesses. This is my 4th Heritage and it will be the 4th time I have to get the bridge recut.
    Now there is an excuse with this guitar. It is so loud, when my wife is working downstairs she sometimes asks me to turn it down. I yell back down, "I don't even have it plugged in!".. so much energy comes from this guitar, it can make the bridge vibrate! It's a Tom-Tom drum.
    I will have to take it in to the shop. I want to see if Ronaldo can do it while I wait. This way I could guard the guitar so he doesn't put any scratches in it.. And then I'll hear, "Joe whatayou want? Ima 83 years old. I do da best a that I can..."
    JD
    Hilarious! "I've splurged on a set of pearl studded earplugs for ya honey!"

Ronaldo will really hook you up! Patrick always spoke very fond of him. You're so fortunate to have a very competent luthier nearby...you and Mark both!

User Info Menu

That's right. A good 18" archtop is the fabled cannon.