The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BobD
    Meggy,

Seems to me that you really like the JP and are going to keep it. That guitar will pretty much cover you for anything from Scofield to Hall soundwise. You also really seem to want a nice carved top archtop but are not sure on the size. Maybe just go play a bunch of different ones to get the feel for the size and sound. Seems to me that, for a price, you can really get anything you want. Here's one that I found just from googling "archtop guitars". I have no idea if it's a good guitar or not but it's on the smaller side for an archtop.

James L. Mapson Guitars
    Cheers Bob, yes I think you have me about right there! Incidentally, I did realise the irony when you said "shrill" although I hadn't picked up the previous use - it did raise a smile though.

Although for my more Scofield moments I have a Ibanez solidbody strung with roundwound 10's (AH10 from 1985) which I like a lot also so I'm well off really. The JP is strung with flatwound 12's so more of a straight ahead jazz box for me - and nice for chord melody playing too. So I admit I don't need another guitar, but like a lot of us, I just want one, and I haven't got a carved top so I hanker after one! But as you guess, I'm inclined towards a "smaller" one now - 16" or less body size. And I think I would still go for a body mounted humbucker as opposed to floating pickup - I just prefer the tone I think. Another preference is for a 25.5" scale length. And in a blond finish would be nice. Plus I do prefer ebony for the fingerboard. So all this does narrow it down a bit I guess. I saw a Heritage Sweet 16 in another thread which fits the bill quite well.

But anyway, the problem now is that these specs might not be as cheap as the Epi Emperor Regent I started with at the beginning of the thread! Time to start saving! At least it has helped me think about what I really want in a guitar though, which is good!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know this doesn't quite meet all the features you list, but for a pure accoustic there is 'The Loar' (see the Thomann site) and:

Carved top from China and more responsive than the Godin, but non-cutaway, and acoustic only - unless you add a pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RAQ
    I know this doesn't quite meet all the features you list, but for a pure accoustic there is 'The Loar' (see the Thomann site) and:

Carved top from China and more responsive than the Godin, but non-cutaway, and acoustic only - unless you add a pickup.
    It's very nice, and I enjoyed the video review - I could certainly find a place in my collection for one of those! But not really what I'm looking for I have to say. I would like something more modern, with a cut-away, and a single built in body mounted pickup as I say. I have really decided that although I don't have a pure acoustic archtop, I'm happier playing though an amp anyway. I guess I want my dream guitar (and it is just a dream at this stage) to have the complexity of a carved top, but also to tend towards the dark, smoky sort of sound - kind of "late night Barney Kessel" if you like, with a touch of Pat Martino! That bright edgyness you hear in the Loar's sound is not really me I guess.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Au contrare. Jim Triggs (decidedly nonItalian surname) has built replicas as found here Archtop Guitars and Jazz guitars at the bottom of the page. Can be yours for just under $10k. However, I imagine they would be willing to come down a wee bit from the asking price. Let us know if you pull the trigger.
    I've got a "Triggs", remember? Yeah it says Gibson, but Triggs and Hutchins made it, back in '91 to '92. Triggs and Hutch' made all the "Master Models" from the Custom Shop, including mandolins.

It too would sell around 10 to 11 grand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    I've got a "Triggs", remember? Yeah it says Gibson, but Triggs and Hutchins made it, back in '91 to '92. Triggs and Hutch' made all the "Master Models" from the Custom Shop, including mandolins.

It too would sell around 10 to 11 grand.
    I do remember, just commenting on the whole Stromberg idea. Plus you missed my lousy attempt at a pun "Let us know if you pull the trigger."

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I do remember, just commenting on the whole Stromberg idea. Plus you missed my lousy attempt at a pun "Let us know if you pull the trigger."
    Yeah I got it.

Triggs makes some fantastic guitars with his name on them. Very impressive. Gibson passed him the ball and he ran out of the stadium with it. Meanwhile Hutchins stayed in the backfield to block for Gibson. Hopefully he stayed around long enough to collect his Gibson pension.

I'd be envious of Triggs if I wasn't so paranoid around bandsaws. I needs all my fingers.

The idea of making custom tube amps has always appealed to me too, except the high voltage aspect. Sooner or later I always get shocked.