The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I just opened the box and took out my brand new Digitech Trio+.

To my big surprise the three knobs in the top row - the tempo- genre- and style rotary knobs are very flimsy. Especially the genre- and style encoders - which are of the endless rotary type - really feel loose/rocking from side to side. (see video here trio on Vimeo)
    Is this just the how this pedal is constructed (if so, not very convincing quality) or is it just my copy that is a lemon in the knob department? I powered up the pedal and the knobs light up and works, but for how long I wonder.

If some of you has this pedal I will be very grateful to hear your experience.
    Last edited by bluefonia; 09-06-2017 at 04:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One cannot access your video without a dropbox account...

User Info Menu

I have been using my Trio+ for about a month - great fun and a good practice/writing tool. I hadn't noticed the "looseness" of the Genre and Style knobs until I read your post, but yes, there is a noticeable wobble although I would have to say it is not so serious as I have not noticed during normal use.
    Last edited by newsense; 09-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    One cannot access your video without a dropbox account...
    Oh, - is it possible to upload a video directly on this forum - and if how do I do it?

User Info Menu

I have uploaded the video on Vimeo instead of Dropbox.

User Info Menu

Don't know, the knobs on your Trio+ seem quite loose, however if I'm jiggling mine with some force they're just as loose. I have just never had the idea to not just turn them gently. I'm very happy with mine the way it is. if you're not, I'd return it.

User Info Menu

I hope you have a store nearby that you can go to and compare the knobs on yours to one in the store.

I want one of these and appreciate you sharing this observation. Next time I go to a guitar shop, I am going to try those knobs out in the store. Might be something to watch out for...?

User Info Menu

I´ve have - and have had - several pieces of gear equipped with these endless encoders. These are know to be somewhat "loose" to the touch, which also is evident from many reviews of midicontrollers and keyboards (these things almost always have some - or a lot - of these encoders).
    The loose feeling seems to be something more or less related to nature of these types of encoders, but I have never seen an encoder as loose as the two on this Trio.

I´ll send the link to the video to Digitech support and see if I can get a comment from them.

Don't know, the knobs on your Trio+ seem quite loose, however if I'm jiggling mine with some force they're just as loose. I have just never had the idea to not just turn them gently. I'm very happy with mine the way it is. if you're not, I'd return it.
    I use only a very gentle touch in the video.

User Info Menu

Got this reply from Digitech support:

They should be a little bit loose but not REAL loose. You may want to see about exchanging it.

So I´m returning the Trio and get a replacement. Better safe than sorry.

User Info Menu

I got a replacement to day. Much better. As Digitech support said the knobs on the endless encoders are supposed to be a bit loose to the touch and this new unit also has a bit of loose feeling, but not nearly as much as the first one.

Played around with the Trio this afternoon. It is a fantastic tool for rehearsal and trying out ideas. It is easy to use so it does not obstruct creativity or your playing. Bass and drums sound good too. Not quite as good as BIAB realtracks, but close.
    Last edited by bluefonia; 09-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

At Musiciansfriend, The Digitech Band Creator Trio Plus is going for $220.00 if you have the coupon that it out there. Other than that, it was marked down to $270.00. If you use the coupon, which I hear is at 17% (a buddy received it in an email), then that is how the price drops down to $220.00 or so.

The regular price used to be $299.00 + tax!

The original Digitech Band Creator Trio is also down to $79.00. Although it is not like the Plus in that it does not have a looper built in. There may be other differences that I don't know about.

This is very tempting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    At Musiciansfriend, The Digitech Band Creator Trio Plus is going for $220.00 if you have the coupon that it out there. Other than that, it was marked down to $270.00. If you use the coupon, which I hear is at 17% (a buddy received it in an email), then that is how the price drops down to $220.00 or so.

The regular price used to be $299.00 + tax!

The original Digitech Band Creator Trio is also down to $79.00. Although it is not like the Plus in that it does not have a looper built in. There may be other differences that I don't know about.

This is very tempting...
    The original Trio is a mere $49.95 at GC, no coupon needed.

the Plus version has more patterns and the looper. The original is a fun learning and practice device.

User Info Menu

Wow! The price has really come down.

User Info Menu

Wow! The price has really come down.
    Yeah. I thought I got a deal when I bought a used one for $65 this past summer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Yeah. I thought I got a deal when I bought a used one for $65 this past summer.
    I forgot to mention that in the case of the Digitech Trio +, there is an optional footpedal and associated cables that you can get to optimize the set up, but it can easily run the price up another $40.00.

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that in the case of the Digitech Trio +, there is an optional footpedal and associated cables that you can get to optimize the set up, but it can easily run the price up another $40.00.
    It is the same 3-button controller for the RP360/RP360XP. I got one earlier in the year when Digitech offered them for $5 as a sort of rebate for the mfx pedals. It does make the Trio much easier to use.

User Info Menu

Trio is a super fun pedal. Had mine for six months and enjoying it.

User Info Menu

I bought the TRIO when it came out and pre-ordered the TRIO+ and have been using it all year. The looper was a much-needed enhancement.

I use my TRIO+ nearly every day in the practice room. I like it far better than backing tracks, because when I hear a tune I like on the radio, I can look it up in The Real Book, listen to the covers on You Tube, then lay it down with the TRIO+ in the style I like, recording as many layers as I want. I usually save the track including the comp and refer back. As my comping has improved this year and I get new ideas, I often re-record the loop. In the practice room, I run it through a mixer into a pair of M-Audio studio monitors. I run my guitar through the amp.

I also bring it with me when I jam with a vibraphonist. In that situation, I dedicate a Cube 60 to the TRIO+. It is a huge add to have bass and drums in the room with us. We've been horsing around for a couple of years and this year decided to build a repertoire. We are working on a number of tunes that have been covered by great guitar-vibes duos - namely Wes Montgomery and Milt Jackson, Tal Farlow and Red Norvo, Johnny Lytle and Melvin Sparks ... the possibilities are mind blowing!

One tip worth mentioning is this: the manual suggests that you dedicate an entire "Song" to one tune. There are five "Parts" in each of the 12 Song slots, which is great ... for my duo we often use them all - Intro, A, B, Solos, Outro. But in the practice room, I usually get what I need in one Part - so I can store five tunes in one Song slot. I keep Songs 11 and 12 open for recording stuff I don't intend to keep.

One other tip: I found it useful to maintain an index to what I've recorded and where it is on the TRIO+. I have a copy of that in my song binder. I also write a TRIO+ reference number on the chart itself (1/3-4 = Song 1, Parts 3 and 4).

What I would really like to see in V3 is the ability to program the Styles. There are 12. I only use two - Jazz and Latin (the Blues is to rock-oriented for my ear). It would be amazing to program 12 jazz styles, and then dial-in the drum tracks (there are 12 of those) within each of those. Of course, this would require an even deeper integration with Band in a Box. However, I would guess that the guitar players who are into the other genres would appreciate the same depth.

User Info Menu

Alright, alright.

You have convinced me.

And thanks to the tip from Alder Statesman, I not only ordered the cheaper, non-plus, version, but I was able to save big money at a total of 41 bucks.

If I really like it, then I will scrape some money together and get the plus pedal when I can afford to drop the money for it and the accompanying pedal/cables.

Thanks to everyone for your impressions of this device. I will be using it at first to create quick vamps on the fly so that I can practice playing different shapes and fingering positions on the fretboard, with hopes of cementing them in my mind.

It will also come in handy when my guitar buddy comes by and we jam.

User Info Menu

There's a You Tube vid of a guy synching the basic Trio to a looper. I might get one and try it with my EH 360 and see what happens. Sweetwater is selling the Trio for $49.95 right now. He mentions that it's not 'real' synching because there's no midi controlling, but just feeding the looper into the Trio seems to work pretty well. The Trio picks up the drum from the looper, then when it gets going, you turn the looper drum off. Might be cool to try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    There's a You Tube vid of a guy synching the basic Trio to a looper. I might get one and try it with my EH 360 and see what happens. Sweetwater is selling the Trio for $49.95 right now. He mentions that it's not 'real' synching because there's no midi controlling, but just feeding the looper into the Trio seems to work pretty well. The Trio picks up the drum from the looper, then when it gets going, you turn the looper drum off. Might be cool to try.
    I think they discussed this Trio to death in a thread on the gear page. They discussed trying all kinds of ways of using it with a looper, as you pointed out.

In the end, I guess the smart folks at Digitech listened to their customers and the Trio + was born.

I have been GASsing for this thin for awhile. And to think that the original was $180.00 at one time. My patience paid off.

User Info Menu

Hello,

I am plan to get digitech trio plus + the foot-switch in order to complete my busking setup.

Actually i need this *full* band backing drum n bass.

My main question is: if with the extra footswitch can someone select the next of before song part.

As far as i can see in youtube it is possonle for someone to get to second part and then in the 3th etc. But i have not seen anywhere if it is possible for someone to get from the 3th part back to the 2nd for example

Can you help?

Thanx in advance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Narcsoul
    Hello,

My main question is: if with the extra footswitch can someone select the next of before song part.

As far as i can see in youtube it is possonle for someone to get to second part and then in the 3th etc. But i have not seen anywhere if it is possible for someone to get from the 3th part back to the 2nd for example
    Yes - with the foot-switch you can cycle from one song part to the next. However, it will only move forward. So to get from Part 3 to Part 2, you would cycle like this: 3>4, 4>5, 5>1, 1>2. No big deal.