The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

So my Sheraton has a scale length of 24.75. I'd like to get an Epi Emperor Regent(don't think I swing a Peerless) but the scale length is 25.5. Is that a potential problem? Does a different lenght affect playability or tone?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The biggest difference is that string tension is a little higher on a longer string length. You probably won't even notice the length is longer.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD
    So my Sheraton has a scale length of 24.75. I'd like to get an Epi Emperor Regent(don't think I swing a Peerless) but the scale length is 25.5. Is that a potential problem? Does a different lenght affect playability or tone?

25.5 on my Super V, as it is on all L5s, Super400s, Johnny Smiths and LeGrandes.

I tend to like the longer scale if all you get is 20 frets. You also get a fatter sounding bass.

User Info Menu

That's good to hear cause I've read lots of good reviews of the Emperor Regent and it is very affordable.

User Info Menu

I love mine but admittedly it is my first jazzbox. Just ordered a Lollar p-90 yesterday for it

User Info Menu

I have relatively small hands, but I still prefer the 25.5" scale. It seems to intonate more accurately and the bottom end sounds more solid to me. Of course, I may be just imagining all of this, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dh82c
    I love mine but admittedly it is my first jazzbox. Just ordered a Lollar p-90 yesterday for it

is jason making a floating P90 style pup or are you gonna cut the top?

as for scale length, i like complex chords on the longer scale length better. on a short scale, a chord with close intervals really blends and sounds nice, kinda like the eagles singing harmony or something...but on a long scale, you can really hear each independent voice, like the beach boys.

i like the beach boys...

User Info Menu

Speaking of scale length, I am saving up to commission a Soloway. Jim Soloway builds chambered and semihollow guitars on a 27" scale. He has a test drive program where you get on the list, and when your turn comes around, you get a guitar shipped to you.

Play if for a week or so, and then you are responsible to pay to have it shipped to the next guy on the list. I got one for a week this past spring, and was really amazed at the playability, and depth of tone. Very sweet guitars.

Models

User Info Menu

Isn't 27" the usual baritone length?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I have relatively small hands, but I still prefer the 25.5" scale. It seems to intonate more accurately and the bottom end sounds more solid to me. Of course, I may be just imagining all of this, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    No, I think you are right, I find pretty much the same thing, and I don't have Tal Farlow hands either. It just seems to have more articulation to me somehow. I do have one 25" scale solid guitar which is quite nice, but I find I have to use a gauge heavier string set to get the tension I like, and somehow the thicker strings seem kind of woolly to me compared to the 25.5" solid I also have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    25.5 on my Super V, as it is on all L5s, Super400s, Johnny Smiths and LeGrandes.
    I hear there's this company called Fender that also uses 25 1/2"...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I hear there's this company called Fender that also uses 25 1/2"...

yeah, but who would play jazz on one of those?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    yeah, but who would play jazz on one of those?
    Mebbe for a comedy twangin' chorus. Like if you do a cover of the "Green Acres" theme song.

User Info Menu

there's an idea...right now in my set i do the theme from M*A*S*H (suicide is painless) and i do "i love lucy" all serious style as a ballad (once folks get it, there's lots of smiles...) but i needed a show theme from the 60's...

User Info Menu

Isn't the Flintstone's theme just a 'rhythm changes?

User Info Menu

certainly the bridge is...

i hear the beginning as (well, in my head here right now) I vi I V as opposed to I vi ii V, which would be "standard rhythm changes"--but if i remember correctly that is how mickey baker teaches 'em...

if i'm jamming and somebody calls "rhythm changes," i'm usually thinking I vi ii V for the A, but the "flintstones" i'm hearning in my head is a pretty common variant, methinks

and now for a segue since we've completely hijacked this thread...

i think "rhythm changes" sounds no better on a short or long scale instrument, but if i was doing freedie green style comping, i'd like a long scale instrument--the extra tension means more snap acoustically, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Isn't 27" the usual baritone length?
    Maybe, but these aren't bari's.

User Info Menu

certainly the bridge is...

i hear the beginning as (well, in my head here right now) I vi I V as opposed to I vi ii V, which would be "standard rhythm changes"--but if i remember correctly that is how mickey baker teaches 'em...

if i'm jamming and somebody calls "rhythm changes," i'm usually thinking I vi ii V for the A, but the "flintstones" i'm hearning in my head is a pretty common variant, methinks

and now for a segue since we've completely hijacked this thread...

i think "rhythm changes" sounds no better on a short or long scale instrument, but if i was doing freedie green style comping, i'd like a long scale instrument--the extra tension means more snap acoustically, IMHO.
    I see your point about the Flintstones.

Mr B, do you come here to debate scale length and TDPRI to discuss neck contour?

User Info Menu

basically, i go there and tell all the chicken pickers that jazz is where it's at, then i tell the cats here to lighten up, forget the jazzbox, get a tele and play some twang. i love to instigate...

User Info Menu

basically, i go there and tell all the chicken pickers that jazz is where it's at, then i tell the cats here to lighten up, forget the jazzbox, get a tele and play some twang. i love to instigate...
    By the way, what make strings (and gauge) to do have on your Teles?

User Info Menu

[quote=mr. beaumont;47760]is jason making a floating P90 style pup or are you gonna cut the top?

quote]

Yes and no.. If you look on his website in the background of most of the pages there is a thinline archtop with a Frequensator bridge and two p-90s. If you look closely the neck pickup has non-adjust poles. I asked him and he said no one ever noticed. He made those pickups about 10 years ago. He used slugs instead of a bar magnet so he could get a P90 that was thin enough not to have to cut the top. Just a couple of mounting screws. If I want to go back (I have been playing sans-pickup since I bought the guitar) I can. A couple of small screw holes dont bother me. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

User Info Menu

Isn't the Flintstone's theme just a 'rhythm changes?

User Info Menu

Tasty! And Herb Ellis.

Archie Guest
    That was really nice. Try this (not jazz, though):

Last edited by Archie; 09-12-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Jazzarian Guest
    Mebbe for a comedy twangin' chorus. Like if you do a cover of the "Green Acres" theme song.
    Tommy Tedesco