Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65
    P.P.S.

The distributor's info is:

Eiichi Yamamoto - eastmongo@gmail.com | 626 927 6362

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack,

As I mentioned before, the guitar sounds great. I'm noticing that the Hawk seems to have a wide, flat fretboard. I think many contemporary players would really appreciate this feature. I learned on classical guitars. Although I can comfortably play on anything from a B-neck, 7.25" radius Fender to a 2", flat classical neck, I have always liked the wide/flat necks for jazz, myself.

It's also got a bigger neck profile than your typical slim ibanez or yamaha. It's not a baseball bat or a boat neck but definitely fatter than my '64 Kessel or the '89/'85 175s I've owned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Here's another video I did yesterday. This guitar is really growing on me, especially as the daddario strings lose their shrillness, lol....

Sounds like the beginning of a love affair. Congratulations, that guitar is a winner Jack! It's great to hear you play something as versatile as a waltz. Can I put in a request for Bossa Nova next?

Sure, this isn't exactly a bossa nova but it's in the general ballpark. I'll do a more traditional bossa soon. Thanks so much for listening and commenting...

This is an original of mine called "The L Word". Lead sheet on my blog if you're interested...

User Info Menu

haha, thanks. Frankly, the older I get the more I realize that the guitar is just a beast who tolerates me and would probably eat me if I wasn't careful...
    I remember reading somewhere when someone asked Wes Montgomery how often he practiced and his reply was "not much, I just throw a slab of meat in the guitar case every now and then".

User Info Menu

I really like the subtle singing vibrato you are using...in addition to the Playing.

The Guitar sounds like it has an Ebony Fingerboard..glassy sustain but looks like Rosewood..

It is a great Guitar for playing 'Heads'- a great singing Tone...Modern..

If you listen to yourself ...you won't want to send the Guitar back....

'L word' is really cool...even the fast lines are happy and melodic- excellent Music !
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-12-2017 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I like that single pickup model. Is it a prototype or one-off? Also, what do we know about the electronics?
    The specs for the jazz deep state one-piece neck, but the photos show a 5 piece neck. I hate when specs are inaccurate. A little attention to detail is always reassuring. I like to know that the nut width is exactly what is stated, for instance.
    Is yours a one piece neck? Is the single pickup an option?
    Also curious what you are playing through.
    I wish these were more widespread so that we could get a better sense of their consistency regarding specs, neck profile, finish, etc. It would be great to try one in person.
    It certainly sounds good in your hands!
    Please keep us posted as you find out more!

you're looking at a different model. The hawk standard specs are accurate. They make a single and dual pickup version.

HAWK-STD | ??????????

It uses their standard paf style pickup. I don't know the model number. 1 11/16 nut width, single piece mahogany neck.

Playing through fractal ax8 direct into the board.

Maybe Eiichi will post in the thread. I mentioned it to me but I think he doesn't want to turn the board into a marketplace for his guitars...

Quote Originally Posted by TN Pat
    I like that single pickup model. Is it a prototype or one-off? Also, what do we know about the electronics?
    The specs for the jazz deep state one-piece neck, but the photos show a 5 piece neck. I hate when specs are inaccurate. A little attention to detail is always reassuring. I like to know that the nut width is exactly what is stated, for instance.
    I wish these were more widespread so that we could get a better sense of their consistency regarding specs, neck profile, finish, etc. It would be great to try one in person.

User Info Menu

TN Pat, the photos are representative of the guitars.

The single pickup model is an option. P90s, single or duo, are options, too. Sho Hara-san of Deviser Seventy-seven Guitars says that they are preparing the next batch in December/January so get your order in.

also , someone else mentioned it looked like ebony fingerboard but it's indian rosewood as you can see by the closeup on the link i posted.

User Info Menu

The specs are consistent with the posted ones. The neck profile on the Seventy Seven guitars are all full size grip,not a slim neck at all,very comfortable. The pickup is their ALNICO 2 which as you can hear in Jacks videos sounds wonderful. The build quality is superior and fit and finish is second to none. Deviser will build you a custom order version also. Bob

User Info Menu

Appreciate the comments regarding my questions.
    Would anybody who has compared the Jazz version to the Standard (deep models) care to compare/contrast regarding tone, etc?
    I wonder how much of an upcharge the Jazz would bring, and the current pricing for single humbucker plain dot neck versions. (I have converted yen to get an idea, but would like to hear what it would run me at present, shipping included, here in the States).
    Also, do these come with a case?
    Thanks.

Thanks Top of the Arch for posting!

Personally, I have not heard the jazz model but I'd love to hear the one with the spruce top. In my experience, the maple neck / ebony fingerboard gives you a chirpy / velvety attack. A lot of folks claim you can't hear the differences between neck material but I feel like their is a noticeable difference. I wouldn't say one is worse the the other. It's all in your preferences. And of course, you can tame down the attack by adjusting the tone control but IMO, you can't get the chirp from the mahogany neck guitars.

User Info Menu

Appreciate the comments regarding my questions.
    Would anybody who has compared the Jazz version to the Standard (deep models) care to compare/contrast regarding tone, etc?
    I wonder how much of an upcharge the Jazz would bring, and the current pricing for single humbucker plain dot neck versions. (I have converted yen to get an idea, but would like to hear what it would run me at present, shipping included, here in the States).
    Also, do these come with a case?
    Thanks.
    Yes, they ship with a hard case. PM me for price quotes and other info if you like. Thanks. Bob
    Last edited by Top of the Arch!; 09-13-2017 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

thanks, i've made some changes in my playing over the last 4-5 months
    I like the changes, sounds great, not that you didn't sound great before. It strikes me that you are playing with a more lyrical, contemplative and melodic take on things, less flash. But of course the chops and flash are just waiting whenever you need to make a statement with them!
    Would you care to go into a bit of detail about 1) what made you decide to make changes to your established style and 2) how/what did you change in your practice routine to effect such change in just a few months?
    Thanks for posting either way.
    p.s. When you played MOAOL I picked up a bit of Bill Frisell vibe. Not just the vibrato but the overall FEEL of the presentation.

Thanks. I actually did a video recently where I discuss why I changed my technique.

User Info Menu

Has anyone seen the very similar Tan Tan that was apparently a run done for a shop a few years back? That looks sharp too, and has the plain one piece neck, simple unbound headstock w/ crown, a single P90, and split parallelogram inlays. I like the tailpiece, too.
    Speaking of which, are any of the many tailpieces available preferable to others, or is that mostly an aesthetic consideration? (Are some sturdier, more prone to rattle, etc)?
    I generally really like a good P90, although I think a humbucker route might be more practical if I choose to experiment later.
    And what are your thoughts on the variety of bridges used among these similar models? The one on the Jazz looks like it would be easier to compensate. I like the looks of the plain old wooden one on the Tan Tan.

I've not seen the tan tan. The only other clones I've seen and in pix only are the archtop tribute ones. I kind of wondered whether they were manufactured by the same parent company (deviser) as the seventy sevens. Never played one though. i can't imagine a copy being closer to a '60s 175 than the seventy seven though...

Regarding tailpiece, i think it's just personal preference. I have no issue with the one on the 77. I had an '89 Gibson Herb Ellis that had an issue where the cutouts for the string ball ends was too wide and I had to use little pieces of Low E string through each ball end to keep them from slipping through. Talk about lack of quality, lol. The quality control on the deviser is so really incredible. Every one I've played has had a perfect neck.

Regarding bridges, i'm a fan of the tuneamatic bridge. I just like the way they sound, the attack and the intonation. I've had ebony bridges on carved archtops and liked them but I just like the tuneamatic better. Did I read somewhere that the seventy sevens come with an ebony and tuneamatic?

User Info Menu

Googled the Tan-Tan. Yeah...my wallet kinda wishes I hadn't.

These seem really cool...Japanese guitars don't give up nothing to nobody, in my opinion, the quality is generally very high. Japanese Ibanez guitars are, as one example, on par with or better than anything "made in America"

Regarding the tailpiece, it's plain jane and looks cheap...but it's one of the best, most logical designs for a tailpiece. The "fancy" tailpiece on my Heritage is a pain in the ass to change strings with, but this tailpiece (like the one on my Godin) is a breeze.

is tantan made by deviser/seventy seven? One search I did showed a "seventy seven tantan" guitar...

User Info Menu

is tantan made by deviser/seventy seven? One search I did showed a "seventy seven tantan" guitar...
    Yes, custom-made for Tan-Tan Gakki. Tan-Tan Gakki specified them and 77 Guitars made them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Yes, custom-made for Tan-Tan Gakki. Tan-Tan Gakki specified them and 77 Guitars made them.
    so is archtop tribute also made by deviser?

User Info Menu

Archtop Tribute is a Terada build. Seventy Sevens are Deviser built. Bob

User Info Menu

Archtop Tribute is exclusive to Walkin Japan, specified by and designed in consultation with Masaki Nishimura-san of Walkin. It is not a Deviser brand. Deviser Seventy-seven Guitars are made in Aska, Japan with lower lines made in The Phillippines.

Deviser owns or distributes other Japanese brands such as Momose, Bacchus, Headway, STR, Seventy-seven Guitars. It is an example of a keiretsu.