The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 70

User Info Menu

Very nice Joe. The playing, and the timing of your releasing the video. Thank you for keeping your word to Patrick. And for letting us be a part of it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

AG,
    After learning that song, I am ashamed to admit, learning the rest of Giant Steps is officially off the table. Sorry bro.
    Thanks for posting. I miss our offline talks. You are a classy knowledgeable guy.
    JD

User Info Menu

I know what you mean about some tunes doing a memory wipe.

I'm learning a bunch of Jimmy Raney solos, and every time I learn a new one, the old one seems to evaporate. I am trying to review and re-learn the old ones.

I worry that maybe it's just me getting old!

User Info Menu

Bro....this was your pinnacle recording. It's going to be a tough act to follow. YouTube has just been blessed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Bro....this was your pinnacle recording. It's going to be a tough act to follow. YouTube has just been blessed.

no worries vinny...joe D's got more where that came from!! no doubt!!

i listened to it a bunch too...sooo nice

but we can always get better if we keep pushing...strive on fellows

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I know what you mean about some tunes doing a memory wipe.

I'm learning a bunch of Jimmy Raney solos, and every time I learn a new one, the old one seems to evaporate. I am trying to review and re-learn the old ones.

I worry that maybe it's just me getting old!
    yeah you and me both!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Vinny,
    your kindness to me over the years has made a lot of this possible. I hope one day I'll learn to "dig in" a little more and really make you happy! Thanks brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    no worries vinny...joe D's got more where that came from!! no doubt!!
    i listened to it a bunch too...sooo nice
    but we can always get better if we keep pushing...strive on fellows
    cheers
    neatomic, luckily there is always room for improvement. I have to relax more on camera. That's the difference between a pro and a regular like me. My playing always comes down a notch on camera, doing someone else's stuff. Probably a phenomenon I'll never quite figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    So beautiful.
    Thanks buddy. The first time I heard this song it was performed Donna Summer back in the early 80's. She had a great voice. But then I heard Johnny Hartmann sing it and it blew me away.
    Joe Pass accompanied Ella on this and I didn't like it very much. I remember telling Patrick that and he thought I was nuts.
    Patrick was quite a guy. I was supposed to spend the day with him, the day he passed away. But he asked me to meet him at Ronaldo's shop early in the morning instead of the time we planned which was around 1pm. We were taking Ronaldo out for a nice lunch and I was dropping off BooBoo. But a couple of days before, Ronaldo told Patrick that "Pete" "a Frampton" was picking up a guitar at the shop early in the morning. So the night before Patrick changed the time to the morning. I told him I couldn't make it in the morning (I had to work..).
    the rest is history..

User Info Menu

joe D

just to clarify..was in no way critiquing your beautiful performance...just assuring v, as you said...always room for improvement!! (thankfully!)...on every level, and for us all...takes hard but loving work...but always possible.

the more you love the instrument, and the music,the more you want to keep striving ...

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-26-2017 at 06:43 PM.

User Info Menu

One of my favourite songs and played so beautifully. Thank you Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    One of my favourite songs and played so beautifully. Thank you Joe.
    Entresz,
    Thank you very much!

I like the acoustic sound, but I might re-record this with the 165. I don't have a sound proof room and I hear the sound of my central air kicking on in the end. Also the volume is pretty low in this recording. But it really does capture the sound of the Johnny Smith guitar quite well. I had the Mic about 2 foot away and I had the gain turned up a lot. I did this to eliminate the boominess and to lessen the sound of my fingers and pick hitting my pickguard.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe, I sat listening, all the time mesmerized by your gifted playing!

Thank you bro, Mr. P would have so enjoyed your recording too...Cigars all around on that one!

User Info Menu

I agree--Pass would have approved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Joe, I sat listening, all the time mesmerized by your gifted playing!
    Thank you bro, Mr. P would have so enjoyed your recording too...Cigars all around on that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I agree--Pass would have approved.
    2b, early on, you and Patrick took me in over here. I'll never forget that. Some gentleman named Roderick too.
    You guys treated me like I was here for a while. When I think of you, I think of Patrick. When I think of Greentone I think of Wintermoon. It's amazing.
    It hasn't been the same without Patrick. In some ways good and in someways bad. He was an interesting dude who knew his stuff about guitars. When you went upstairs to the green striped room, he had at least 20 guitar standsin front of his desk, each one with a special guitar on it. He loved being surrounded with guitars. It was awesome.

thanks guys, I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    2b, early on, you and Patrick took me in over here. I'll never forget that. Some gentleman named Roderick too.
    You guys treated me like I was here for a while. When I think of you, I think of Patrick. When I think of Greentone I think of Wintermoon. It's amazing.
    It hasn't been the same without Patrick. In some ways good and in someways bad. He was an interesting dude who knew his stuff about guitars. When you went upstairs to the green striped room, he had at least 20 guitar standsin front of his desk, each one with a special guitar on it. He loved being surrounded with guitars. It was awesome.

thanks guys, I appreciate it.
    Actually that last, "loved being surrounded with guitars" strikes a chord with me. Someone asked me why I had 3 L5ces "type" guitars, 3-4 or so L4c/ES175 "type" guitars, and more. I answered that some people spend their money on beautiful art to hang on their walls. Others pay a ton to put fine wines in a cellar. Still others spend a lot of money for season tickets for their favorite team. These are all fine, of course.

But me.. I like surrounding myself with personally chosen, beloved guitars and books. The nice thing is, you can use them and use them, over and over again, and they never "empty out." Wine bottles go empty (sigh), games end. But musical instruments and books never stop giving.

I think Patrick made a good choice.

User Info Menu

Great point Lawson.
    Thats how I feel about it too.
    Right now, I'm not in a position to surround myself with guitars but I will in due time. I got 3 on my radar. An L5 is definite.
    ENJOY!!!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Great point Lawson.
    Thats how I feel about it too.
    Right now, I'm not in a position to surround myself with guitars but I will in due time. I got 3 on my radar. An L5 is definite.
    ENJOY!!!
    Joe D
    My L5ces, despite its cosmetic flaws, is in the "No Regrets" category! I just love this lovely instrument. It feels, plays, and sounds exactly like we dream an L5ces will. That it has some cosmetic flaws just means it feels, plays, and sounds BETTER than it looks! And it looks pretty dad-gum sexy
    . Gibson Johnny Smith - Lush Life-l5-introduction-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Its one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Amazing
    Last edited by Max405; 08-29-2017 at 05:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Gibson should offer that sunburst on all Archtop models. Blows away VSB.

User Info Menu

thanks guys, I appreciate it
    Funny that you'd mention that home office and not the bathroom with the rich wood treatment around its fireplace.

But you're right, two years and a wake up and it seems a part of this forum died with him. It's going to take the passage of more time. What a storyteller that Marine was!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Funny that you'd mention that home office and not the bathroom with the rich wood treatment around its fireplace.

But you're right, two years and a wake up and it seems a part of this forum died with him. It's going to take the passage of more time. What a storyteller that Marine was!
    Yeah the bathroom with the fireplace was quite the novelty. How often do you see that?
    I think part of the problem with having too many guitars is it's difficult for the owners to REALLY appreciate the individual pieces. If the setups, specs and construction are the same then why have 20 guitars? That's why the variety is good. But as I've said in the past, it takes me a couple of days to conform from my GJS to my Tal, and they are kind of similar. After playing my GJS for 2 weeks straight I tried my 165 last night and my playing was no where near what I thought was acceptable. The strings were in the wrong place, the guitar didn't sit in the groove like it was for the 2 weeks prior. Too many guitars can be a burden to the player who demands precision in their playing. When I get my next L5, it will allow me to bounce back and forth between it and my Tal with less of an adjustment period.. And I will bond into it. The iconic L5 is iconic for a reason.. I aim to discover those reasons.

User Info Menu

Yeah the bathroom with the fireplace was quite the novelty. How often do you see that?
    I think part of the problem with having too many guitars is it's difficult for the owners to REALLY appreciate the individual pieces. If the setups, specs and construction are the same then why have 20 guitars? That's why the variety is good. But as I've said in the past, it takes me a couple of days to conform from my GJS to my Tal, and they are kind of similar. After playing my GJS for 2 weeks straight I tried my 165 last night and my playing was no where near what I thought was acceptable. The strings were in the wrong place, the guitar didn't sit in the groove like it was for the 2 weeks prior. Too many guitars can be a burden to the player who demands precision in their playing. When I get my next L5, it will allow me to bounce back and forth between it and my Tal with less of an adjustment period.. And I will bond into it. The iconic L5 is iconic for a reason.. I aim to discover those reasons.
    And that, my friend, will be the shot heart round the world. I can't wait to see and hear you connect with the right L5ces!

User Info Menu

I just thought some of you might like to hear this.
    Same song, played on my Gibson Es165 Herb Ellis. I much prefer the sound of an electric guitar over an acoustic recording any day.
    I think one of the greatest inventions was the pickup. Gibson makes some good ones. I should recorded this on the Johnny, the The Es165 was all I had with me when I recorded this.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    The Es165 has great projection, you have surpassed yourself
    the guitar has such a clean, clear, sound. You don't let the
    grass grow underfoot. Another superb performance may I
    be the first to congratulate you, very well done indeed. A
    very nice start to the day, its 8.30am here.

SF

User Info Menu

1:30 am here. I like the 165 tone better. More Joe Pass like sounding. I like the darker tone. That's just my ears though. Of course both versions absolutely stellar. That 165 is a keeper for sure.

I prefer a electric acoustic sound more than a acoustic electric sound. Really nice bro.
    I have listened to all your video's and the laminates always seem to record better sound wise. I thought the recorded tone of the solid formed sounded awesome too with the Tal sounding the best.
    Looking forward to when the L5 is in your nest. Funny how plywood can sound better at times.

You just keep getting better and better bro......my man !

User Info Menu

Joe - your tone is fittingly "lush" and "lively" - fine, fine, fine!

User Info Menu

I just had a chance to listen to this and you did a great job. Sounds really nice. Thanks for sharing it here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro