The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I've asked on the tele forum, but just seem to get opinions on how it looks. It seems incredible that its on sale for £5k+ here in the UK, and no vids (of anyone playing the thing) anywhere. I'm intrigued to know how it feels and sounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Haven't seen/played it. Tell you what, though, the John Page built instruments I _have_ played are delightful. For years I had access to a bass that he built at Fender that was a recreation of Jaco Pastorius' famous Jazz Bass. Page offered it to Prince. Prince's sound man got it and it ended up with my bass player--sound guy's brother. That bass was/is a "to die for" Fender Custom Shop instrument.

I'd be willing to bet that the Esquire above is a killer.

User Info Menu

Does it only have one pickup? The only one I saw was the standard tele bridge single coil, but no neck pickup!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Esquires only have a bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

Well that answers that.

User Info Menu

Ah yeah I knew that I think the thinline design threw me off and I wasn't thinking Esquire.

User Info Menu

It's an awesome guitar but I think I'd put in a neck pickup. Either a single coil or humbucker. Bridge pickups are to trebly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    ... It seems incredible that its on sale for £5k+ here in the UK, and no vids (of anyone playing the thing) anywhere. I'm intrigued to know how it feels and sounds….
    I've played several of John's guitars and they all feel and sound excellent. They have conventional Fender-sized necks. I think these are luxury goods, targetted directly at affluent Fender brand loyalists who enjoy collecting such instruments, assume that the instruments they buy will always be fabulous, and are willing to spend whatever is required.

Last edited by Hammertone; 08-16-2017 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

+1 Hammertone's assessment

User Info Menu

OTOH, my most recent Tele-style instrument, built entirely by Erik Hansen of Hansen Kustoms, is as good or better than any Fender Custom shop guitar ever built, but has very little value. It will soon be acquiring a matching neck pickup with no regard for its value, as I like neck pickups on my electric guitars.
    Attached Images Attached Images John Page Founders F hole Esquire-sbc-tele-cabronita_9507-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-16-2017 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I like the black and white pickguard color combination. Kinda like a penguin. You know what Zappa said she's just like a penguin in bondage boy!

User Info Menu

I saw the light years ago when I played an Elliot Mechanic Telecaster. I realized that the parts-built "Parts-casters" were actually able to equal or exceed the stuff that came out of Fender.

By that point, I had owned a string of Fenders, from a '57 Esquire and a '65 Stratocaster, to more modern gear.

There was no turning back, for me. As a player, not a collector, it was full speed ahead. I sold my Fenders and now own a Nash Strat and a Tele I made out of parts I acquired from Hammertone. These instruments may never have the collector's value of Fenders, but they play and sound outstanding--_better_ than ... oh, you get it.

User Info Menu

If your a player sound is what counts. Let the collectors/ buyers and sellers worry about value.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I saw the light years ago when I played an Elliot Mechanic Telecaster. I realized that the parts-built "Parts-casters" were actually able to equal or exceed the stuff that came out of Fender.
    …[ ]... I sold my Fenders and now own a Nash Strat and a Tele I made out of parts I acquired from Hammertone. These instruments may never have the collector's value of Fenders, but they play and sound outstanding--_better_ than ... oh, you get it.
    Mechanicland instruments and parts were built for Elliot by Brian Monty, one of the best builders around. He's still building fantastic guitars, some of which I play.

User Info Menu

It's those BIG ballpark necks of Monty/Mechanic that really make the guitars Monty makes sound so good. Acoustically, you can hear the sound of a Mechanicland neck Strat or Tele way up in the neck/headstock. They feel like a good, early 50s Fender and they sound incomparable.

User Info Menu

Did someone say…Ballpark strat?…bwahahahahahaha…Monty-built Mechanicland Ballpark neck on an MJT alder strat body in metallic green.
    Attached Images Attached Images John Page Founders F hole Esquire-strat-monty_mjt-9393-web-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-16-2017 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Man I really like that color. Extra sharp!

User Info Menu

Yes, in fact, I too have sold all my Fender strats and teles and now have just the two in my avatar- which have 43-44mm necks at the nut and are built by Eternal Guitars here in the UK. Another on the way with 45mm nut, 25" scale, ebony f/board, superlight body as the other two, which are chambered and are quite resonant. I agree also that for me, they are better than any Fenders, custom shop or non-custom shop I've yet played.

HOWEVER.....whilst I'm not seriously thinking about buying a JP double F hole esquire, (well, not yet anyway,) I am intrigued by the general spec, chambered body, ebony board with 1 11/16" nut (42.8mm) and acoustic-y 'songwriter' design idea - and I just want to know what they feel/play/sound like - so, has anybody....? Somebody has - surely?

User Info Menu

I've got my eye on a American standard Stratocaster with a rosewood neck. There's a custom shop journeyman 57 rosewood strat also but one is 1500 the other 4500. Heh big difference. The custom does have that nitros lacquer like the Eric Johnson and a chocolate headstock but I don't think that's worth the extra what 3grand!

User Info Menu

I just got one of these last week and absolutely love it. Not for everyone as it's a very specific guitar, but it's perfect for me. Gorgeous, as you can tell from the pics. Incredibly lightweight. And unplugged the thing just rings and rings. Very acoustic, and pretty amazing tone. Plugged in on a clean channel, the lows are really warm, the highs pretty twangy, and a crazy amount of nice sustain. Unlike a regular Esquire, there is no toggle switch so it's just volume and tone, straight up. Again, I just love the thing.

User Info Menu

A t last! Someone who has actually played one better still, owns it!!! Thanks for the comments Foss, I was beginning to think none had actually been sold to players. Any idea of actual weight - I know you said its light - my Eternals are 5.5lbs each, which suits me best.
    Last edited by bananafist; 09-18-2017 at 11:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Just seen that Guitar World in the UK have posted they have one in stock, and there is a video! Ah, but wait......sure enough its being played with lots of distortion, and sounds......exactly like any other decent Esquire with distortion! I despair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    A t last! Someone who has actually played one better still, owns it!!! Thanks for the comments Foss, I was beginning to think none had actually been sold to players. Any idea of actual weight - I know you said its light - my Eternals are 5.5lbs each, which suits me best.
    I haven't weighed mine but they all seem to be a little over or under 5.5 pounds. Feels crazy light when you pick it up.