Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 115

User Info Menu

Just got a brand new blonde 2017 ES175 VOS for $2700. They have a new ES345 gold hardware $1700. Smoking deals on new 335's too just like last year. You will need to watch the site daily. They come and go fast.
    You will see them sell out and then a new batch will show up.

Yes I am not a big 1959 VOS fan but for less than 1/2 price I can become one :-).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's CME?
    My CD "Bare Handed" is available as a download at Bandcamp.com
    http://jimsoloway.bandcamp.com/album/bare-handed

Chicago Music Exchange

User Info Menu

I couldn't find them on their site. Are they just in-store? I still tingle with delight over my VOS ES175 that I got for $1999 from them. A truly wonderful guitar I've enjoyed playing ever single time I've picked it up.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

David Azizinamini emailed me Lawson. I bought online. They are probably sold out at the moment. More to come.
    Right now the blondes are cheaper than the sunburst. Go figure. You can always call David and he will hold one for you. CME and Wildwood are 2 great music stores.

User Info Menu

Vin,
    Cool. I think the trick here is to accept that this is something different. It's not going to be like your other masterpieces, because it's not meant to be like the others. You like vintage stuff a little and you like "new" alot so this is the best of both worlds.
    Its a 175. What more can anyone say.
    Are you gonna keep the VOS treatment on it? Or are you going to take it off so it looks like a 175 when it was bought new in 1959?
    Enjoy it bro. I'm happy for you.
    Joe D

The fake nicotine VOS treatment will have to be removed. It takes a couple hours and some elbow grease.
    The other ones I had it was the first thing I did. That funky stuff even smells like a old ashtray.
    They use a rough polishing compound to dull them too. When you buff them out they look and smell nice.
    Still those skinny frets though. I only bought it because I can always sell it for $2500 down the road. A $200 loss
    is just a nice dinner out.
    One positive thing. If it ain't good CME takes it back no problem and no shipping costs to you.
    The last 59 I got was not a good one. It went back. Those 2 2016 regulars though were sweet.

BTW those 2016's that they only made for 1 year have a hybrid sound. They don't sound like a 90's 175 or a VOS 1959. They sound like a cross between the 2. Not dark or bright. Very middy. Nice but different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    A $200 loss
    That's a nice dinner!
    ES-175VOSsp..SadowskySemi..Ibanez S6521Q w/GK3..DV Mark LJ..Dispatch Master V2..Atomic CLR..BossGP10..Line6.G10
    https://soundcloud.com/user852059642/tracks

User Info Menu

Didn't someone here recently buy the same guitar in the higher 3's, after which someone mentioned the previous CME sale? And now here's a new sale days after that comment? Freaky

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland View Post
    That's a nice dinner!
    I think it's for 10 people

User Info Menu

A $200 loss

That's a lot of Taco Bell, son.
    MG

A classy dinner for 2 in Ca. with a bottle of wine and dessert is $200 easy. My family went out for a nice dinner last Christmas Eve. The bill was $1800. Luckily my millionaire brother in law picked up the check on that one.
    Ca. Bay Area if you are not making 6 figures a year you are in poverty. A 2 bedroom 1 bath house way over a million.
    Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment $3-4K a month.
    I live in a small 3 bedroom 2 bath house. 1300 sq ft. I could sell it in 1 day for $1.4 million.
    A home like Joe D has in NJ would sell for 5-6 mill here.
    Google, Apple, Yahoo, YouTube, Hewlett-Packard, Amazon, Genentech, Silicon Valley, etc......all right here.
    Not to mention 20 minutes to the beach, 5 minutes to the bay, 25 minutes to San Francisco, 15 minutes to Redwood forests and no cold winters. Crazy expensive though.
    Marco has a home is SF and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is a gorgeous beach town. I can tell you his houses are worth some very serious scratch. He made some wise moves in his younger days now he lives his dream.
    I still work very long hours to be able to survive here but me and my wife love the Bay Area. We don't like hot or cold.
    December and January you do need a long sleeve flannel shirt.
    I finally found a 5 star Italian restaurant here. Something I always missed about the east coast....back to Guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    That's a lot of Taco Bell, son.
    The EPA better not find out ...

User Info Menu

A classy dinner for 2 in Ca. with a bottle of wine and dessert is $200 easy. My family went out for a nice dinner last Christmas Eve. The bill was $1800. Luckily my millionaire brother in law picked up the check on that one.
    Ca. Bay Area if you are not making 6 figures a year you are in poverty. A 2 bedroom 1 bath house way over a million.
    Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment $3-4K a month.
    I live in a small 3 bedroom 2 bath house. 1300 sq ft. I could sell it in 1 day for $1.4 million.
    A home like Joe D has in NJ would sell for 5-6 mill here.
    Google, Apple, Yahoo, YouTube, Hewlett-Packard, Amazon, Genentech, Silicon Valley, etc......all right here.
    Not to mention 20 minutes to the beach, 5 minutes to the bay, 25 minutes to San Francisco, 15 minutes to Redwood forests and no cold winters. Crazy expensive though.
    Marco has a home is SF and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is a gorgeous beach town. I can tell you his houses are worth some very serious scratch. He made some wise moves in his younger days now he lives his dream.
    I still work very long hours to be able to survive here but me and my wife love the Bay Area. We don't like hot or cold.
    December and January you do need a long sleeve flannel shirt.
    I finally found a 5 star Italian restaurant here. Something I always missed about the east coast....back to Guitars.
    Vinny paints a picture that leaves out some pertinent facts. Yes, Bay Area housing is crazy expensive for those coming today, but for those of us who bought years ago, our property taxes are kept reasonable by Prop 13 and with the mellow climate, our utility bills are not crazy high (especially for those of us smart enough to go solar).

Sure, there are a plethora of restaurants where $100 a head is common, but produce at the market is cheap since much of it is grown nearby and there are amazing Asian and Mexican restaurants where one can dine on the cheap and enjoy some top notch food.

That said, traffic is reaching the point where the quality of life here is a far cry from what it once was, and the far left politics that control the region have meant that those who work hard (like Vinny) are largely ignored, while the lazy and unproductive are coddled.

For me, the good still outweighs the bad. On any given day, I can be found riding one of my Harley-Davidson motorcycles on scenic Highway One going from one of my homes to the other where I might go hiking in the Redwoods or be out playing jazz on one of my classic archtops. It is a tough life, but someone's gotta do it.

User Info Menu

With out sounding too political, remember the trees you are hugging were there before the Harleys fellas The trick is being responsible for each of us owning the mess we leave for others (wealthy and Poor) If you are fortunate enough to have a good quality life, you owe to not only your hard work and talent but fortunate circumstances that many people never will have.
    I'm not a religious guy, but I do like the part of "Do on to others"

I feel very fortunate to be able to be a professional musician for my entire life and still survive. That is of course because I'm married,LOL!

User Info Menu

Hey guys, for $2 Million... the horse-farm next to me just sold for that.

325 acres of forest and pasture, a historic house, barns, stalls, haying operation equipment, out-buildings, foreman's house, water systems, fences... all in a small-town, rural ambience but with Cincinnati, OH and Louisville KY close enough, and Lexington, KY just 20 minutes away.

When I hear folks talking about California, I remember how lucky I am to live in Kentucky!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post

When I hear folks talking about California, I remember how lucky I am to live in Kentucky!
    I hear that. I grew up in Louisville and Chicago. I currently live in the Bay Area in California, and it's as bad as vinny says. I'm fortunate to have a gig that keeps me afloat, but I see myself moving back in Chicago when the opportunity arises. Maybe those CME offers are the opportunity I'm waiting for.

User Info Menu

To a guy in Kentucky, I'm Mr. Unlucky,
    And I'm known throughout England and France ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    With out sounding too political, remember the trees you are hugging were there before the Harleys fellas The trick is being responsible for each of us owning the mess we leave for others (wealthy and Poor) If you are fortunate enough to have a good quality life, you owe to not only your hard work and talent but fortunate circumstances that many people never will have.
    I'm not a religious guy, but I do like the part of "Do on to others"

I feel very fortunate to be able to be a professional musician for my entire life and still survive. That is of course because I'm married,LOL!
    Count me among the tree huggers. Did I mention that I like to hike among the redwood trees?

My truck used to have both an NRA sticker and a sticker from the Sierra Club. Folks from both sides of the political spectrum thought that incongruous. It made perfect sense to me. I am pretty sure that Teddy Roosevelt would agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster View Post
    To a guy in Kentucky, I'm Mr. Unlucky,
    And I'm known throughout England and France ...
    Sounds like a Randy Newman song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    those who work hard (like Vinny) are largely ignored, while the lazy and unproductive are coddled.
    i'm on my way!

cme isn't a bad store. in my one and only experience, they shipped quickly and securely and i got myself a little holiday discount via reverb.com on something new that wasn't discounted anywhere else on earth. quick to return an email before and after the sale. the guild customer service i found lacking, however.

User Info Menu

Just so everyone understands I'm not trying to be right in my viewpoint and others are free to express theirs. There's way too much "Me vs. Them" going on these days in our society. And I above all being originally from Long Island ,N.Y. am extremely opinionated for sure,LOL!
    I think we all need to quit shouting and work together for everyones benefit, not just the few who have the control at any specific point in time. And while we can debate merits on both sides, ultimately no human is better than another from birth. Just better off because of circumstances. For those including me who enjoy a better life be thankful, and try to find common ground (humanity) in others first and foremost!

User Info Menu

Just so everyone understands I'm not trying to be right in my viewpoint and others are free to express theirs. There's way too much "Me vs. Them" going on these days in our society. And I above all being originally from Long Island ,N.Y. am extremely opinionated for sure,LOL!
    I think we all need to quit shouting and work together for everyones benefit, not just the few who have the control at any specific point in time. And while we can debate merits on both sides, ultimately no human is better than another from birth. Just better off because of circumstances. For those including me who enjoy a better life be thankful, and try to find common ground (humanity) in others first and foremost!
    Cheers to finding common ground! And perhaps here at the jazz guitar forum, we all might agree that if an old tree is to be cut, the best and highest use would be to create a fine guitar.

User Info Menu

Vinny paints a picture that leaves out some pertinent facts. Yes, Bay Area housing is crazy expensive for those coming today, but for those of us who bought years ago, our property taxes are kept reasonable by Prop 13 and with the mellow climate, our utility bills are not crazy high (especially for those of us smart enough to go solar).

Sure, there are a plethora of restaurants where $100 a head is common, but produce at the market is cheap since much of it is grown nearby and there are amazing Asian and Mexican restaurants where one can dine on the cheap and enjoy some top notch food.

That said, traffic is reaching the point where the quality of life here is a far cry from what it once was, and the far left politics that control the region have meant that those who work hard (like Vinny) are largely ignored, while the lazy and unproductive are coddled.

For me, the good still outweighs the bad. On any given day, I can be found riding one of my Harley-Davidson motorcycles on scenic Highway One going from one of my homes to the other where I might go hiking in the Redwoods or be out playing jazz on one of my classic archtops. It is a tough life, but someone's gotta do it.
    Prop 13?! Weren't you like 15 when that passed in 1978?

Darn, I knew I should have purchased that San Francisco home for $100k instead of moving to Seattle! The upside is with no state tax or prop 13 I've owned 10 homes, some really nice, and freely moving at will. There's always an upside

User Info Menu

There's way too much "Me vs. Them" going on these days in our society.
    I agree - And it's "their" fault!

User Info Menu

Count me among the tree huggers. Did I mention that I like to hike among the redwood trees?

My truck used to have both an NRA sticker and a sticker from the Sierra Club. Folks from both sides of the political spectrum thought that incongruous. It made perfect sense to me. I am pretty sure that Teddy Roosevelt would agree.
    There is a very interesting, and very very small, organization that used to be called "Republicans for Environmental Protection" but now goes by "ConservAmerica." Advances policies for safeguarding the environment from conservative political principles.

Home - ConservAmerica
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

I still believe we are living in a world where wrong is right. Killing a unborn child is perfectly fine but cutting a limb off a tree is a horrible tragedy. The spotted owl can no longer sit on that limb.
    Everyone loves to worship the Creation but is is very hard to find someone that worships the Creator. In fact a lot of people don't even believe there is one anymore. And yes I do believe we have a duty to take good care of the earth just like taking good care of your family. That's a given duty and a moral responsibility but chaining yourself to a tree so it won't get trimmed.....give me a break.
    One man's morality is another man's "judgement." Freedom means exactly that. Born and raised in California, not far from SF, I moved to the NW when Cal began to turn right politically. What many don't understand is how the same group think that fights for the unborn can with the same group think deliberately start wars based upon lies, killing and maiming millions.

The NW fought that "spotted owl" fight nearly 40 years ago, and survived. California will too. All is well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    One man's morality is another man's "judgement." Freedom means exactly that. Born and raised in California, not far from SF, I moved to the NW when Cal began to turn right politically. What many don't understand is how the same group think that fights for the unborn can with the same group think deliberately start wars based upon lies, killing and maiming millions.

The NW fought that "spotted owl" fight nearly 40 years ago, and survived. California will too. All is well.
    I'm impressed that these exchanges have been strongly worded, yet somehow not toxic or uncivil. You guys are superb. Passionate, but principled.

I hope some of that rubs off on me!
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Dear friends, please leave your political and religious positions out of this forum. Disagreements in both areas have caused more disasters than anything else on this beautiful planet...
    the jazz gear: Eastman AR403/VintageVibe CC pu · Ibanez AM50 · Brunetti SingleMan 35 · T-Rex Replica · Exotic EP Booster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluefonia View Post
    Dear friends, please leave your political and religious positions out of this forum. Disagreements in both areas have caused more disasters than anything else on this beautiful planet...
    Smart recommendation. For the record, I didn't mean to encourage the discussion of political opinion by mentioning my disdain for California. My disdain is not based on any political conviction of mine.

User Info Menu

Quite right. I will say, this thread has been very civil. Now if we start talking about the merits (or lack thereof) of Gibson guitars....watch out!

Blue you are so right. I have very deep religious convictions. I don't believe in killing of any kind though accused that pro life people are OK with killing and starting wars. That comment was a revelation for me that this is not the place for me to spend my time any more. That is being unequally yoked which makes me very uncomfortable and yes it is a disaster waiting to happen. I want no part of causing any of that type of hostility around here.

May you all be blessed with wonderful lives and may your guitar skills improve till your life's end.
    It's been a fun ride, a roller coaster at times but still fun. Keep making though happy sounds.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 08-07-2017 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm impressed that these exchanges have been strongly worded, yet somehow not toxic or uncivil. You guys are superb. Passionate, but principled.

I hope some of that rubs off on me!
    It's very easy. As with guitars, one can share ones favorite's without taking it personally whilst others share there's. It's no different than ones favorite ice cream. I prefer black walnut, chocolate, and vanilla, but can appreciate that raspberry mable was created for someone else.

User Info Menu

Blue you are so right. I have very deep religious convictions. I don't believe in killing of any kind though accused that pro life people are OK with killing and starting wars. That comment was a revelation for me that this is not the place for me to spend my time any more. That is being unequally yoked which makes me very uncomfortable and yes it is a disaster waiting to happen. I want no part of causing any of that type of hostility around here.

May you all be blessed with wonderful lives and may your guitar skills improve till your life's end.
    It's been a fun ride, a roller coaster at times but still fun. Keep making though happy sounds.
    Vinny,

This IS the place for you and would be a way less interesting place without you. 2B's comment was perhaps overbroad (Senator Rand Paul is both pro-life and anti-war, and he is not alone in that regard) and I doubt it was intended to make you uncomfortable, just as I doubt your comments about killing the unborn was designed to make him feel bad.

Besides, you still owe us a NGD on the incoming 175

User Info Menu

Vin,
    you don't cause hostility around here. You bring great topics and perspective.
    Believe me bro I've tried leaving the forum once. I never left. Yeah we have better ways to spend our time, but we always come back here. We love it here. It fills a void that nothing else can plug. We love jazz guitars and we have to talk about them and there is no where else to do it.
    So take a (very small) break if needed and come back soon. Sometimes a short time out is necessary.
    Bad natured, mean people are banned from the forum. Great people like you always have a place here.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

I think since we all appreciate the Jazz Guitar and the music it brings with it ,shows us all to be a bit more discerning and politically astute than our other guitar forum bretheran. Now that that's finally settled who insulted Vinny's Gibsons,LOL?

User Info Menu

vinnyv1k: Don't leave the forum. This only shows an aspect of how sensitive subjects like politics and religion can be and why these should be marked "Handle with care" - just like a box of nitroglycerine .

In my view this forum is one of the most civilized places on the internet. Overall nobody is trying to be the "I know it all wise guy", everybody is very helpfull and the tone of voice is very friendly and respectful. My suggestion about leaving out political and religious subjects was not directed at anybody in specific, but only to express my humble hopes for keeping this forum a nice place to visit.

Now if we start talking about the merits (or lack thereof) of Gibson guitars....watch out!
    :-D

By the way: Did anybody get any of the CME deals?
    Last edited by bluefonia; 08-08-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    the jazz gear: Eastman AR403/VintageVibe CC pu · Ibanez AM50 · Brunetti SingleMan 35 · T-Rex Replica · Exotic EP Booster

User Info Menu

Bluefonia,
    Vinny knew you meant well.
    Joe D

vinnyv1k: Don't leave the forum. This only shows an aspect of how sensitive subjects like politics and religion can be and why these should be marked "Handle with care" - just like a box of nitroglycerine .

In my view this forum is one of the most civilized places on the internet. Overall nobody is trying to be the "I know it all wise guy", everybody is very helpfull and the tone of voice is very friendly and respectful. My suggestion about leaving out political and religious subjects was not directed at anybody in specific, but only to express my humble hopes for keeping this forum a nice place to visit.

:-D

By the way: Did anybody get any of the CME deals?

User Info Menu

Stick around Vinny! Please,We love you.

Truth be known my emotions are on my sleeve right now as I am losing my mom and caring for her daily. She has always been my best friend.

I do realize me being a conservative Christian makes me a bit of a social misfit in a lot of ways. There is no gray with me. Only black and white. I need to be more careful with my opinions. Everyone has a right to live there life there way.

I could never permanently leave this site. Right now I have too much on my plate. I certainly would never want to post something that I would regret later because my emotions are running hot. My fuse is a bit short right now is all.
    I respect all of you very much. You're family to me.

Talk soon and love you guys.......V

User Info Menu

You can check out, but you can never leave...
    - Tom

User Info Menu

Handle your business, Vinnie. We'll leave the lights on and the door open. Your beliefs don't matter to me. Your class does.

User Info Menu

I don't know if I missed it cuz it was obscured by all the political and economic crap in the above thread but I couldn't find a link to the CME anywhere in this whole thread. If you're giving advice on a great place to shop, it would be nice to offer a link. Here it is:

Chicago Music Exchange | Chicago Guitar, Amp, Effect & Drum Dealer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
    Handle your business, Vinnie. We'll leave the lights on and the door open. Your beliefs don't matter to me. Your class does.
    Thump, that was really nice buddy.
    Vinnys Mom did a magnificent job raising him. She did it mainly on her own.
    I wish Vinny gets to enjoy time with his favorite girl for many more years to come.

Joe D

User Info Menu

The last few posts really exemplify the caring , respect and friendships that make this forum special. Vinny we wish you peace, comfort and quality time with your Mom. This forum goes much deeper than jazz, guitars and gadgets - its become a hangout where we share our ideas , passions and lifes experiences ....very special indeed.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Actually the discussion, though off-topic (we'd resolved the topic and were just hanging out talking) was perfectly civil until somebody slammed us for talking about a little politics. It was the self-appointed topic sheriff who introduced the note of confrontation and incivility. Before that, we were all doing just fine, thank you very much.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Thump, that was really nice buddy.
    Vinnys Mom did a magnificent job raising him. She did it mainly on her own.
    I wish Vinny gets to enjoy time with his favorite girl for many more years to come.

Joe D
    All I know is that while he ain't shy, he's not rude -- someone clearly did right by him, and though I'm not very close to anyone here at all, I wish nothing but the best, especially for those who've been as kind as he has.

And there's enough shrink in guitarin' already, if he doesn't come back in three or four days, I say we hustle up a posse and drag his ass back.

User Info Menu

I moved to Vail, CO after college and, man did it seem expensive. My wife and I lived in Vail for many years and managed to deal with the expense. One year we both got offers of great jobs in San Jose (sometime in the mid 80s). We heard all about the high prices of everything, but we thought "We live in Vail, CO, how bad could it be in Silicon Valley?" Boy were we find out in a big hurry!
    We lived there as long as we could until the cost, the traffic, the pollution, etc. got just too bad (and this was over 20 years ago!). We moved back to Vail and have been way happy ever since (and stopped complaining about the cost of everything).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf View Post
    I moved to Vail, CO after college and, man did it seem expensive. My wife and I lived in Vail for many years and managed to deal with the expense. One year we both got offers of great jobs in San Jose (sometime in the mid 80s). We heard all about the high prices of everything, but we thought "We live in Vail, CO, how bad could it be in Silicon Valley?" Boy were we find out in a big hurry!
    We lived there as long as we could until the cost, the traffic, the pollution, etc. got just too bad (and this was over 20 years ago!). We moved back to Vail and have been way happy ever since (and stopped complaining about the cost of everything).
    When I first moved to San Francisco in 1976, Silicon Valley (The Santa Clara Valley) was an agricultural valley. I remember when US 101 was a 2 lane road going through prune yards and the like. Today that valley is traffic clogged, has bad air quite often and the cost of housing there has become astronomical. Silicon valley has spilled out throughout the Bay Area and there is no doubt in my mind that things were better in years past. That said, San Francisco is still a world class city and places like Napa, Santa Cruz, Carmel are all still outstanding in their own ways (though all were far better in years past). But, if you did not buy in here years ago, as I did, this is no place to consider living unless you hit the lottery.

User Info Menu

Actually the discussion, though off-topic (we'd resolved the topic and were just hanging out talking) was perfectly civil until somebody slammed us for talking about a little politics. It was the self-appointed topic sheriff who introduced the note of confrontation and incivility. Before that, we were all doing just fine, thank you very much.
    Would that someone be me?