The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I got a little jazz yesterday and like the tone – yet I doubt it will cut in a gig. It seemed rather quiet. I'm talking about the small coffee house gig with acoustic bass and a light handed drummer. Used to use a fender blues junior for that until now and thought I could lighten my load and have a little "jazzier" tone.
    I have a 30 day return policy but no gigs during that period as we are going on holiday (stupid me). Anybody used that amp in gigs with a drummer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It will gig. It does better if you tilt it or raise it up off the floor. I've used mine in blues jams in bars, and it was louder than the guys with bigger amps. The drummer is usually pretty loud, unsurprisingly. I've never had the volume knob above 50%, nor the guitar volume much above 50%.

User Info Menu

Why not just crank it up to see what it can do?

One thing to check out is that on the Little Jazz, the mid control is very powerful.
    It plays a lot louder with some mid boost, and volume goes way down when you scoop the mids.

I've never pushed the volume on mine, as I seldom play loud.
    I think it's a great sounding amp, and it seems fairly capable of hanging with a small not-too-loud combo.
    Personally, I use mine in a duo setting, but I usually grab a bigger amp for trio or quartet . . .

User Info Menu

I cranked it up a little bit yesterday – unfortunately the tone falls apart. It distorts and there's a really nasty buzz when playing the tone Eb. It will go back.

User Info Menu

Possibly something loose somewhere is causing the buzzing. Mine doesn't buzz at all, nor does it distort, when turned up as loud as I can stand.

User Info Menu

Look the new dvmark micro jazz....has 50 watts...its a good power for gig!

DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz 50W Guitar Amplifier Head | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Where you position affects things dramatically, simply placing on a chair better than on the floor, they are louder than you think. Adequate i guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by caue amaral
    Look the new dvmark micro jazz....has 50 watts...its a good power for gig!

DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz 50W Guitar Amplifier Head | Guitar Center

this uses exactly the same amp power section as both the DV Little Jazz combo,and the DV Jazz 12

User Info Menu

I have both the Little Jazz and the Micro50. I run the Micro50 through a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER cabinet. The Little Jazz is louder. For the same volume, I can put the Little Jazz at about 25% volume, but the Micro50 is at 50%. The Little Jazz gets really, really loud for an 8" speaker.

User Info Menu

And, imho, (both of these I've tried with my Gibson ES 175), sound congested and muddy compared to the Quilter 101 reverb.

I sent the DV Marks back within days.

But, to each his own.......

User Info Menu

And I sent the Quilter back within days. Yes, to each his own.

User Info Menu

DV Mark jazz 12...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    DV Mark jazz 12...?
    Yes, I may try that. I bought the little jazz as a "second" which means someone ordered it an rejected it. I had the impression the speaker was broken. Sent it back, got my money back, no problem.

User Info Menu

Hi

I’m Looking for small amp for gig. Usually play in restaurants and in front of audience ~100+.

Play jazz standards, bebop, Latin and fews fusion - bass, drum, 2 horns and singers

Thought of buying dv mark little jazz.

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronen
    Hi

I’m Looking for small amp for gig. Usually play in restaurants and in front of audience ~100+.

Play jazz standards, bebop, Latin and fews fusion - bass, drum, 2 horns and singers

Thought of buying dv mark little jazz.

Thoughts?
    get a Henriksen. ....

User Info Menu

Before starting my own speaker business, I used the Little Jazz in an outfit with three blowers. 100+ audience may be too much for it, but most venues today have decent PA systems allowing mic'ing. As the maker of TOOB ultra-light cabs I'm as partial as can be, but with a TOOB 12J and a DV Mark Micro 50 or Quilter 101R you get a seriously loud 12" rig still weighing just 11-13 lbs. Over 150 made, in use by pros in 14 countries.

User Info Menu

The Henriksen may be a little better, never had one so I can't say for sure, but it's three times the price, and not three times as good or as loud. The Little Jazz gets very loud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The Henriksen may be a little better, never had one so I can't say for sure, but it's three times the price, and not three times as good or as loud. The Little Jazz gets very loud.
    I know there is much Henriksen love in the world. But I've had an older Henriksen head running into a Redstone 112 speaker (ported, closed back) for quite a while. Seems to be built for mids which for me is not a good thing. There is a lot of subjective with amps. Maybe just as much as our varying taste in guitars. Maybe more because context (solo, combo, drummer, et al) matters so much.

Would like to find something in the sub-20 pound range that sounds like a Fender Deluxe Reverb and can keep up in a trio setting.