The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I thought I would post just to show differences. My Dad's Barker, this was made 03-15-1965 serial number is one before Martin Taylor's, his is 9 mine 8. Barker told me he made maybe 15 guitars before he started serial numbers, I have no reason to doubt it directly but Barker could exaggerate. He said the IRS started asking questions about guitars because no serial numbers how did he track them? Martin played mine years ago when visited the shop he was really anxious to see his guitars sister.Barker Guitars photo and differences-img_0515-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0517-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0518-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0522-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0523-jpg

He built the guitars in Toledo till about 1967-68 moved back to Peoria area. It was during that time he change the body style to have a less pinched waist and bracing went to modified Y. Previous he used only a single transverse bass bar and the 1965 has this bracing. My own on Barker made in 1971 has the new body style and the inlay in pearl. This has the different bracing and I believe Bill was going for a more responsive top at all frequencies, the volume of the single braces guitars tend to be a bit more I think. My 1965 does sound different but has the typical Barker sound that I know from playing and being around so many.

I hope the thread is helpful so those who otherwise do not know. Notice there are quite a few changes. The f-holes, tailpiece, body style, and headstock. Would be curious which the group like for looks only better?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

great pics & info...thanks

cheers

ps-aesthetically, i prefer the pearl inlayed guitar...the body shape, the color, interesting shape of f holes, etc..tho both look very "homespun"
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-28-2017 at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Prefer the one with pinched waist and smaller upper bout. The boxier one probably sounds bigger and bass-ier though.

User Info Menu

Nice photos Mark! The model with the relaxed curves for the ribs was no doubt easier to bend to shape than the other model. I like the body on the curvy one and I prefer the headstock and the position markers locations better on the other model.

Matt, Barker bent his ribs with anhydrous ammonia a woodworkers way that was used by some woodworkers. Toxic stuff had to use masks but it was great. Sometime if interested I tell more about the process. The process involved setting the wood into a closed tube and getting ammonia into the chamber, wood comes out like putty you can do anything with it. Ever hear do if?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Matt, Barker bent his ribs with anhydrous ammonia a woodworkers way that was used by some woodworkers. Toxic stuff had to use masks but it was great. Sometime if interested I tell more about the process. The process involved setting the wood into a closed tube and getting ammonia into the chamber, wood comes out like putty you can do anything with it. Ever hear do if?
    Call me crazy but that sounds like it would make an easy job hazardous and possibly shorten ones lifespan. I always bend on an iron preferably during the winter. I can bend a scroll on a Mando in about the same amount of time it takes to get my electric iron up to the proper temp. I tried a bending machine but I sold it after it sat idle for a couple of years. I avoid anything toxic if at all possible. The ammonia sounds like a good way to go if you are so inclined. My number one rule is safety and number two is keep it simple. I have heard treatment with fabric softener works well for bending difficult to bend wood but I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by Matt Cushman; 07-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Wonderful guitars and both look in fabulous condition.

I like the earlier Barker design, paradoxically for me, there is something so modern about it.

Thank you for posting.

PS What type of case did you Father's Barker originally come with?

Mine is basically near mint my dads is excellent for sure. His came with purple plush case Lifton I think but it does not say lifton anywhere on the case. It is a great case better than those made today nothing can tear on the shell.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info Sir.

User Info Menu

It’s nice to read about Bill Barkers guitars
    I was a student of his up until his death.
    we would often go out to eat at a restaurant(can’t remember the name of it) in sunny land/ ep on the main drag.
    he also told me of his WW2 stories and that his (I think but not sure which side) Left leg was broken in multiple places. He had a limp when he walked. He told me there was a guitar that he built with my name in it (Connie) one of my biggest regrets was not buying it, it’s just got sentimental value but I have wonderful memories to think of ....
    He also told me he built a violen for a cardiologist in Peoria........Anyway that’s my story
    Last edited by Elpatodog; 11-09-2017 at 10:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Elpatodog,

I own the "Connie" Barker. I bought it a few years ago. It has an interesting background. I played it new as the original owner was and is a family friend. The guitar was originally built for Nancy Sinatra but the top was broken when it arrived. I believe another guitar was substituted. Connie wanted the guitar, so she and Bill went to the shop on Central Ave and chiseled off the old top and replaced it. He put the label in then. A couple years later she sold it to an artist in Waterville Ohio. From there I lost track of it for about 47 years. I went to see Connie about 6 months ago and took the Barker with me. Its the first time she has seen her old guitar since she sold it. It was a grand reunion.

User Info Menu

Interesting the 'For Connie' Barker has the more modern headstock (i.e. does not have the window headstock), does it have the single diagonal bracing? Lovely finish on that instrument.

So are you saying that Nancy Sinatra received another W.G. Barker in replacement for the "broken top" guitar? If so I would love to see a picture of Nancy with her W.G. Barker. It would make sense as Al Casey ace guitarist and friend of Lee Hazelwood played a Barker guitar also.

User Info Menu

I thought I would post just to show differences. My Dad's Barker, this was made 03-15-1965 serial number is one before Martin Taylor's, his is 9 mine 8. Barker told me he made maybe 15 guitars before he started serial numbers, I have no reason to doubt it directly but Barker could exaggerate. He said the IRS started asking questions about guitars because no serial numbers how did he track them? Martin played mine years ago when visited the shop he was really anxious to see his guitars sister.Barker Guitars photo and differences-img_0515-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0517-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0518-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0522-jpgBarker Guitars photo and differences-img_0523-jpg

He built the guitars in Toledo till about 1967-68 moved back to Peoria area. It was during that time he change the body style to have a less pinched waist and bracing went to modified Y. Previous he used only a single transverse bass bar and the 1965 has this bracing. My own on Barker made in 1971 has the new body style and the inlay in pearl. This has the different bracing and I believe Bill was going for a more responsive top at all frequencies, the volume of the single braces guitars tend to be a bit more I think. My 1965 does sound different but has the typical Barker sound that I know from playing and being around so many.

I hope the thread is helpful so those who otherwise do not know. Notice there are quite a few changes. The f-holes, tailpiece, body style, and headstock. Would be curious which the group like for looks only better?
    Wonderful pearl inlays on your Dad's W.G. Barker....very nice. I think I prefer the earlier Barker style. It's more of an Epiphone shape and it seems he was a big fan of the old NY Epiphones.

User Info Menu

Amazing!

The older Barker has abalone inlay and the later has mother of pearl.

Cool story directly from Barker about the guitar. Only about 3 Barker guitars have the abalone inlay. Barker said he got real sick making the guitars like a reaction. Went to his doctor and said he was having an allergic reaction to something but hard to nail down the cause.

He told dr he had done nothing different just in shop making guitars. Dr ask him what materials he used. Still no difference but then he mention the dr he keep getting sick when working on inlays. Then said the new abalone he had was outrageously colorful it added so much.

So the doctor said bingo..........abalone dust big culprit for allergies. Barker
    was allergic to abalone dust. So that was the end of the run rest would be mother of pearl. So mine is has a story.

User Info Menu

Mention of anhydrous ammonia reminds me of Billie Sol Estes.

User Info Menu

The older Barker has abalone inlay and the later has mother of pearl.

Cool story directly from Barker about the guitar. Only about 3 Barker guitars have the abalone inlay. Barker said he got real sick making the guitars like a reaction. Went to his doctor and said he was having an allergic reaction to something but hard to nail down the cause.

He told dr he had done nothing different just in shop making guitars. Dr ask him what materials he used. Still no difference but then he mention the dr he keep getting sick when working on inlays. Then said the new abalone he had was outrageously colorful it added so much.

So the doctor said bingo..........abalone dust big culprit for allergies. Barker
    was allergic to abalone dust. So that was the end of the run rest would be mother of pearl. So mine is has a story.
    Thank you for that story.....an interesting tale.