The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 141

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    VR's are great amps. Just the right balance providing lots of headroom but still not too heavy. Also, they have a bright switch, that I like to turn off, making the amp a little warmer than a DR. Just the other day, I found an old receipt for my first VR. It was a mid 1960's BFVR that I bought used in the early 1970's for $100! I also had a '64 for a while after that. The '64 was my favorite. Unfortunately, I let those two go along the way and I really regret it now. I recently acquired a 1973 SFVR which is excellent too. They are more affordable than the BF versions and still great hand-wired amps.
    Keith
    Last night I used my '73 SFVR on the gig with my L5CES. This time of year we play outside on the patio at a fairly busy restaurant, which seems to be a good venue for an open back amp like the VR. I was very happy with my sound. The amp was clean and clear, with lots of headroom and that wonderful Fender reverb. Nice warm tone, not too bright. These are great amps. Using this amp again lately has made me think a lot about the '64 BFVR that I had in the past. If I ever get the chance to buy a decent BFVR again, I'll be buying it. In the meantime, I'm very happy with the SF version.
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the 90s I gigged in a six piece band...bass, drums, guitar, piano, sax, trumpet...using a BFVR. PERFECT amp.

User Info Menu

Does the silverface and/or blackface Vibrolux Reverb amps have anough clean headroom for medium-loud level jazz? Would it hang with a B3 player or is that pushing it?

I am not talking about the "Custom Vibrolux" model that is currently in production. I mean the old 2x10, 40 watt silverface or blackface models.

** EDIT **
    I just pulled the trigger on a silverface Bandmaster to put into a 2x10 combo cab.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 08-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I would say yes. I've got a Pro Reverb . . same wattage but 12" speakers. I can hang with a B3 pretty easily in a jazz setting. If you are considering buying one . . . you should look first at the Vibroverb. Same wattage but one 15" speaker. Harder to get the 15" to break up and the tone from a 15" is more in line with the fatter and warmer jazz tone you are probably seeking. The reissue Vibroverbs are pretty damn good.

User Info Menu

Bernstein uses one so it must be enough

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I would say yes. I've got a Pro Reverb . . same wattage but 12" speakers. I can hang with a B3 pretty easily in a jazz setting. If you are considering buying one . . . you should look first at the Vibroverb. Same wattage but one 15" speaker. Harder to get the 15" to break up and the tone from a 15" is more in line with the fatter and warmer jazz tone you are probably seeking. The reissue Vibroverbs are pretty damn good.
    Ah, good thought, I wasn't aware of the Vibroverb. Looks like it's heavier though than the Vibrolux though and one big reason I'm looking at the Vibrolux is it's combination of size/power compared to say a Twin Reverb or a Pro Reverb (which are much heavier). Though it seems like a Twin Reverb would be the most affordable option...just so damn heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Bernstein uses one so it must be enough
    Cool, didn't know he used one. I found out a local guitarist I enjoy (and took lessons from) also uses on in an B3 organ trio.

User Info Menu

Yes. Vibrolux is one of those nice all rounder Fender amps that can do loud clean and jangly/bluesy distortion.

User Info Menu

Wait, in reagrds to the Vibroverb, there's also a Fender Vibroverb '63 Reissue which is about the same size and setup as the Vibrolux (2x10 combo). So it seems either the silverface Vibrolux or Fender Vibroverb '63 Reissue could fit for me in terms of size, power and price.

User Info Menu

The Vibroverb reissue is the same size and weight as the Vibrolux. It has a single 15" pup. GREAT amp for jazz!!!

User Info Menu

A Vibrolux should be fine with a B3 player. Another thought... the hard to find, but cheaper one 15" blackface Pro without reverb. It's essentially a Vibroverb for much, much less money. Fender only made them briefly though.

User Info Menu

I would prefer 1x15 to 2x10. I usually dont like 10 speakers but them I think about Bernstein tone... (one of the best out there IMO)

I think almost all amps can be voiced to have all the clean headroom you need. With 40w and 2x10 if you get early breakup, any good tech will give easily fix that.

User Info Menu

I appreciate the responses and info, thank you.

I've been checking out ampwares.com for weight/wattage specs and also checking out the current going prices.

I'm now thinking about a Fender Bandmaster head (silverface or blackface). They seem reasonable priced and then I get eventually get a 2x10, 1x15 or 2x12 cab for it. Anyone have any experience/opinion on a Bandmaster for jazz and clean headroom? I suspect it would fit the bill.

User Info Menu

There are large trannies in the Bandmaster and a solid state rectifier, so it'll have a greater clean headroom than even a Pro.

User Info Menu

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a silverface 1971 Bandmaster head (non-reverb). I'm planning on getting a 2x10 combo cabinet to put it into. For speakers I'm planing on Eminence Copperheads, as they have a Fender tone and are supposed to be loud/efficient.

I came close to a Vibroverb Reissue (the 2x10 reissue from the early 90s) but it didn't work out.

I think the Bandmaster should work well when I need more volume than my Princeton Reverb Reissue has. I have a PRRI with an efficient 12" speaker that works well in most of my playing situations.

User Info Menu

I use a '73 Vibrolux Reverb - it's perfect.
    But you'll definitely get more clean headroom with the Bandmaster. Bigger output transformer and SS rectifier. Put a 5751 or 12AY7 in V2 (assuming you use the vibrato channel). Copperheads are great speakers too. I think you'll be happy.
    I personally love 10"s for jazz - much more articulate/punchy than a 15".

User Info Menu

Glad to hear! I have an old jan/ge 5751 ready to put in the v2 channel!

The only thing I won't have is built-in reverb...but I think I'll be ok without it. Or I get a reverb pedal if I need it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timski
    But you'll definitely get more clean headroom with the Bandmaster. Bigger output transformer and SS rectifier. Put a 5751 or 12AY7 in V2 (assuming you use the vibrato channel). Copperheads are great speakers too. I think you'll be happy.
    ABSOLUTELY +1

Love my '67 Vibrolux!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timski
    I've got everything together for the Bandmaster! I put a JAN/GE 5751 in v2 like you mentioned as well. I had to get the vibrato fixed, but it's otherwise in excellent condition.

User Info Menu

The vibrolux is a great amp! I actually play a "Vibroclone," which is a Silverface Super Rever, modified to blackface specs, NOS tubes, Mercury Magnetics Transformers, and it was rehoused into a 1x15 cab with a nice JBL. Essentially is it a Vibroverb. The Vibrolux, Vibroverb, Super Reverb, and Pro Reverb are all the same circuit just different configurations (2x10, 1x15, 4X10, and 2x12) respectively.

User Info Menu

About 18 months ago we got some new neighbors. They are a very nice couple who have involvement in music through karaoke—people in their club told me that she’s their “Queen.” In the past they both played guitar, but quit for a long time. They love my big band and have attended several concerts. They also like to throw house parties and invite us to each one. At their latest one the wife dragged me into their garage to show me the guitar she bought. It was a low-end import solid of no interest to me, but what caught my eye was the attached amp—a Fender silverface Vibrolux Reverb from the early ’70’s.

The wife said she’s the original owner and they don’t think it’s ever been serviced or even had a tube changed. I went through a list of what it might need to bring it up to date and it’s nothing they want to deal with. There was a time in my life I’d do it for them, but that time is long gone—I not only don’t have the time nor inclination, but don’t even have a suitable work space anymore. They’d like me to sell it for them, preferably as is. Outside of my first view of it, I have not looked it over in depth, so I have no idea what operational condition it’s in. Before I offer it for sale I’ll check it out as fully as I can.

There are a number of these listed on reverb.com for a range of prices. I suspect it could sit there awhile, so I’d hope to sell it through a guitar forum. Is this is an amp that appeals to jazz guitar players?

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Could be a great find. Especially with original tubes! You'd need a 3 prong ac cord and probably new filter caps (the electrolytics) . The smaller Fender amps were the last to be messed with circuit wise, that one may be an older circuit. You can't go wrong really at a good price, it would be flippable I'd think if you wanted to sell it.

There are guys here up on this stuff. I've done some minor mods and repairs. Worked a bit on my Silverface Twin Reverb. If it hasn't been turned on in a long time you may want to turn it on slow with a .. arghh forget the name of the device but it applies power little by little.. I made one back in the day using a lamp fixture, a variac maybe..distant memory.

Or just bring it to a good amp tech.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 73Fender; 01-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.

User Info Menu

It appeals to all sorts of players. One of Fender's greatest amps IMO. A just right sized OT for the power, makes for one of the warmer blackface/silverface models.

User Info Menu

Back in the day VR's were kind of the black sheep of Fender combo amps, you could get them for a song.
    About 20 yrs ago that changed and they've been the most popular along w/ Deluxe and Princeton reverbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    If it hasn't been turned on in a long time you may want to turn it on slow with a .. arghh forget the name of the device but it applies power little by little.. I made one back in the day using a lamp fixture, a variac maybe..distant memory.
    Yes—variac. A light bulb current limiter can work in a pinch:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping to get the amp to my house and check it out next week. The owners have been using it, so no need for a variac or series lightbulb!

Danny W.