The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 141

User Info Menu

Does anyone use a Fender Vibrolux Reverb?

Seems like the main difference compared to a Fender Deluxe Reverb is the 2-10s?

Wattage wise, they both varied over the years, correct?

Fender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-fender-vibrolux-reverb-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-26-2017 at 12:33 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great amp. The big difference is power for more headroom. Deluxe is 15 watts. Vibrolux is 40 watts.

User Info Menu

I used a '66 forever until I began playing in organ bands and needed a Twin.
    for the longest time they were the 'forgotten Fender' in their line and you could get them dirt cheap.
    then people finally realized they're probably the most versatile Fender combo amp and prices skyrocketted.
    they're my favorite Fender as far as tone goes.

the pre 70's models were 35 watts, then a bump to 40.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Great amp. The big difference is power for more headroom. Deluxe is 15 watts. Vibrolux is 40 watts.
    I thought the Deluxe was more like 20-22 watts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I thought the Deluxe was more like 20-22 watts?
    they are

User Info Menu

the VR uses a pair of 6L6GC power tubes, more headroom
    6V6GT's in a DR, more breakup.

User Info Menu

They and the Pro Reverb (same amp, two 12s) are the best Fender amps of the post-Tweed era. I have giggled with each. Phenomenal. No better amp for a Gibson than a Vibrolux Reverb, IMO.

User Info Menu

I have one that I bought years ago. It's fine, for a Fender amp. I'm not a Fender fan, though. I got a great deal on it, and I really didn't know what I wanted back then, other than cheap. Mine could probably use some new speakers to improve the sound, but I haven't bothered. It's too big, too heavy, and produces too much heat to be an everyday amp for me. But if you're looking for a Fender amp, it's probably about as good as you'll find.

User Info Menu

I don't have a VR. Always wanted one, as it seemed like the perfect balance of power and size, with a pretty edge and drive sound when turned up. Ended up getting an Allen Encore head. It's David Allen's tribute to the VR. 35 watts, a not too big output transformer, 6L6s. Has a few other tricks too -- master volume, a "Raw" knob allowing you to dial out the tonestack, a two knob reverb and truly beautiful tube bias trem. My favorite amp to date. Everything I looked for in a VR, and a bit more.
    MD

User Info Menu

Great amps. I have a 1980, at that time Fender changed the panel to black face cosmetics but it has the silver face specs. I dropped in a 63
    jensen C10q gold label speaker, the other is an Eminence patriot.

Fender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-img_3358-jpgFender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-img_3352-jpg

User Info Menu

I own a 74' Pro Reverb that I sent to David Allen to modify to blackface specs e.g. eliminate the master volume and add his "Raw Switch" which I hardly ever use. Also replaced the original Utah speakers with Webers. It was on the fritz for a couple of years but recently replaced the Output transformer and it is a wonderful sounding amp. That said, I wouldn't want to carry it very far.

User Info Menu

VR's are great amps. Just the right balance providing lots of headroom but still not too heavy. Also, they have a bright switch, that I like to turn off, making the amp a little warmer than a DR. Just the other day, I found an old receipt for my first VR. It was a mid 1960's BFVR that I bought used in the early 1970's for $100! I also had a '64 for a while after that. The '64 was my favorite. Unfortunately, I let those two go along the way and I really regret it now. I recently acquired a 1973 SFVR which is excellent too. They are more affordable than the BF versions and still great hand-wired amps.
    Keith

Fender Vibrolux Silverface Reverb-image-jpg

User Info Menu

I have both of them in modern reissues and they are great. Actually my VR is embeded in a Fender SuperSonic 60W model. In addition, I have a recent Fender Deluxe reissue.

The SuperSonic, although less renowned than othet amps to jazz players, is interesting because it gives you basically 2 clean channels, a VR and a Bassman, plus a double deck saturation channel for your inner J. Scofield (or M. Stern, or whatever...). I used to switch between the VR and Bassman channels depending on the guitars I played with.

Main problem with the SuperSonic is its weight. Seen my cervicalgy problems, I have decided to stop carrying it all around and I have acquired a FDR.

As said above, VR has more headroom but also more cutting high ends than what I get with the FDR. Both are perfectly suited to a great jazz sound but I have a slight preference for the FDR, sound wise.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I own a 74' Pro Reverb that I sent to David Allen to modify to blackface specs e.g. eliminate the master volume and add his "Raw Switch" which I hardly ever use. Also replaced the original Utah speakers with Webers. It was on the fritz for a couple of years but recently replaced the Output transformer and it is a wonderful sounding amp. That said, I wouldn't want to carry it very far.
    Rob, how do you like the Webers over the Utahs? Reason I ask is that I just picked up (like an hour ago) a 1965 Pro Reverb with original Utahs that could probably use either a replacement or recone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    I have both of them in modern reissues and they are great. Actually my VR is embeded in a Fender SuperSonic 60W model. In addition, I have a recent Fender Deluxe reissue.

The SuperSonic, although less renowned than othet amps to jazz players, is interesting because it gives you basically 2 clean channels, a VR and a Bassman, plus a double deck saturation channel for your inner J. Scofield (or M. Stern, or whatever...). I used to switch between the VR and Bassman channels depending on the guitars I played with.

Main problem with the SuperSonic is its weight. Seen my cervicalgy problems, I have decided to stop carrying it all around and I have acquired a FDR.

As said above, VR has more headroom but also more cutting high ends than what I get with the FDR. Both are perfectly suited to a great jazz sound but I have a slight preference for the FDR, sound wise.

Cheers.
    Hi Fred:
    Which Deluxe Reverb are you using? Is it the '65 blackface re-issue or the 68 silveface custom with the bassman tone stack? I understand that the original blackface deluxe reverb's as well as the reissue are hardwired to "bright" and people often clip the bright cap to warm them up. The new '68 custom, on the other hand, seems very warm to me on the custom channel.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmi3
    Rob, how do you like the Webers over the Utahs? Reason I ask is that I just picked up (like an hour ago) a 1965 Pro Reverb with original Utahs that could probably use either a replacement or recone.

To be honest, it has been about 10 years since I replaced the Utah's which were just tired. The Weber model I used was the 12 150 Vintage light dope model (50 watt). They sound great. At the time it was a good buy for the money. I kept the Utahs in case I sell the amp but I'm pretty happy with the Webers. I don't use this amp anymore at levels above 3-4. I control the volume with the guitar. Very clean, lush round warm tone, great reverb.
    Last edited by rob taft; 07-28-2017 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Hi Fred:
    Which Deluxe Reverb are you using? Is it the '65 blackface re-issue or the 68 silveface custom with the bassman tone stack? I understand that the original blackface deluxe reverb's as well as the reissue are hardwired to "bright" and people often clip the bright cap to warm them up. The new '68 custom, on the other hand, seems very warm to me on the custom channel.
    Keith
    Hi FloatingPU,
    Mine is '65 blackface reissue. No modding. No excessive brightness to my ears.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

is the Vibrolux's tone similar to the twin reverb one?

User Info Menu

I think the power section of the Twin Reverb and Dual Showman are unique compared to all the other Fender amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Hi FloatingPU,
    Mine is '65 blackface reissue. No modding. No excessive brightness to my ears.

Cheers.
    I am interested in taking a closer look at one of the new Deluxe Reverbs. It would be nice to have something just a little smaller/lighter than the VR for playing in smaller venues. I tried the '68 Custom and I really liked it but I haven't tried the '65 reissue yet. I prefer the BF cosmetics so maybe I'll test drive one.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca
    is the Vibrolux's tone similar to the twin reverb one?
    I'd say it's a cross between a Deluxe Reverb and a Fender Tweed once it's driven. So the best of both world's.

User Info Menu

The VR is a great amp if you don't mind the weight. I've often thought about getting one and putting a single 12" speaker in it.

User Info Menu

vibrolux weight must be similar to an hot rod which I'm able to manage: I'm looking for an alternative to my twin reverb. 40W should be enough for me...

User Info Menu

Well the VR is nowhere near as heavy as a Twin but mine is heavier than my Deluxe (1x12).

User Info Menu

VR heavier than DR. Lighter than Pro Reverb or Super Reverb.

I like the two tens with the L5 or 175.