The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33
    Wow, guys, what a number of likes and mostly positive feedback! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I wonder...put a rhythm section underneath that and maybe all of our opinions modulate. What once seemed a tad too bright might start to sound like it's necessary to cut through...
    I believe this is essential! I'll do a recording with a backing track when I return from my vacation! The guitar shows its strengths when it's played with a band.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    You know, I am constantly amazed by how much Pat Martino seems to have influenced everyone's ears. His guitar is _dark_, for sure. Guys like Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, etc., DON'T sound dark, however. Their jazz tones sound surprisingly bright when you listen critically to them. jzjazz's tone is right in there, IMO. Sure sounds like jazz guitar, to me.
    Exactly - I'm amazed that you didn't mention Grant Greeen....

You know, before I started to listen seriously to jazz guitar, the "dark" and "muffled" sound was in my head as the proverbial jazz guitar sound but I had to realize that it's just not true.

User Info Menu

John Pizarelli also has a nicely balanced sound, and a bit on the bright side -- and it works. A little more on the blues side, Duke Robillard also gets a bit of twang happening through some pretty jazzy changes.

User Info Menu

Very nice tone and playing. One of several classic tones, and I would keep that tone in my arsenal.

Might be fun to leave the amp as set (or maybe drop the bass a tiny bit) and then roll off the guitar tone to that sweet spot around 2 or 3, right where the "muffling" begins to lift, then record it again. But that's not criticism, just mad science

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Very nice!! 175 + Princeton = jazz guitar sound 1.0, arguably.

It's always good to pass along a guitar to a player who knows what to do with it
    I've been playing my 80s Gibson 175 but my Princeton reverb amp's power chord broke (so I've been using a non tube smaller Fender amp).

I'm going to have to get that fixed now based on the post here.

Funny but two weeks ago I mentioned to a friend I was going to buy a new amp because I was doing a gig. He asked why?!?, just get your Princeton amp fixed. OK, I'm hearing this clearly now.

User Info Menu

Very Nice! Tasteful playing and great tone. Myself I find the tone just fine. I'm not a fan of the dark muffled tone. Clarity with warmth and some sustain. I love Pat Martino's playing (I probably own every thing he has put out) but when it comes to his tone, he lost me after El Hombre.

User Info Menu

+1 SUPER fan of Martino the player; not a fan of the pillow in front of his amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    +1 SUPER fan of Martino the player; not a fan of the pillow in front of his amp.

I had the same feeling about Adam Rogers and when I heard him in John Patitucci's band, it was all mud and was like a muffled fart, no definition. So glad that he seems to of moved into a sound with more definition. Hearing Martino last week he didn't seem to be as dark as in the the past, but still dark. Pat's percussive picking does help with note definition.