The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

So i know this has been covered in Jorges original thread "polytone in a pedal" but since theres been some confusion and several builders/versions i sincerely hope it is ok with yet another thread on the subject.
    A couple gentlemen from the forum aquired my unit, id prefer to keep the feedback/impressions seperate as they are not identical.

The core circuits are more or less the same, i took the liberty to add a couple features to make it as versatile as possible not only to replicate the Polytone character but also as a general usefull "jazz" eq when used in front of other amplifiers.

1.It runs on 9V DC (standard/Boss type negative center pin), internal bipolar/split rail supply for more headroom.

2.Main circuit is a stock polytone pre amp, i added a gain control (= master volume to control the overall output), by its nature its a true pre amp and with the gain/master dimed it can, depending on your setup, push a lower wattage tube amp into clipping.
    3.I kept the org brite switch but left out the dark setting.
    4. Mid control is tweaked (thanks Chris) to cut/boost in the lower mids as opposed to the stock polytone (with mids control) circuits nasal higher mids.
    5. I added a active variable highpass filter (jorges sublime idea from the get go in 2015), it starts cutting sub 80Hz and and then up to a little over ca. 300hz - UPDATE 26/5-2020 - the filter range on all current versions post V1.0 (with the EDGE control, read below please) is 40-140Hz - The High Pass filter on the LARGE unit is seperate from the main circuit so it is useable by its own in if the main pre amp is bypassed, on the SMALL the high pass filter is engaged along with the pedal on/off.
    6. UPDATE 26/5-2020 - This additional circuitry is discontinued and ONLY PRESENT ON EARLY VERSIONS of the Brute Eq. ill leave the info here since theese occasionally show for sale used - The edge control, another add on also functional as a stand alone when the main circuit is bypassed, its a very simple circuit (based on a vintage fender 12AX7 high imp. input) that adds non clipping clean 2 order harmonics, very subtle but it adds a little clarity, punch and dynamics.
    Cheers.
    V.1 (discontinued) with EGDE control.
    Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-brute-eq-polytone-wallpaper-kopi-jpg

Current Versions (2018 and present/forward).

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-brutes-std-alloy-blk-oldschool-jpg

Last edited by jazzmus; 05-26-2020 at 03:47 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

jazzmus,

You have a great pedal design. Heck, the active high pass filter is invaluable. Think of the countless times we all have wanted to tame low frequencies on Fender tweed Deluxes.

User Info Menu

Mine arrived this morning -it looks amazing and feels great. Can't wait to hear it and experiment with.

jazzmus loves what he does and is great to deal with.

User Info Menu

I'm SO happy to see "my idea" going this far. To see several builders and many more clients, satisfied. Long live the "Brute EQ"!

User Info Menu

Hear, hear! Love mine already (as you can tell from my comments in the old thread). And tweaking the mid control to cut/boost in the lower mids as opposed to the higher mids is a great idea (think good Polytone versus bad Polytone)...

User Info Menu

Available in the UK?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Available in the UK?
    Rob: I'm sure Jazzmus can ship one across the North Sea to Edinburgh, if you're interested. (And while you're still part of the EU, no customs...)

Thank you for the kind words guys, i wholeheartedly appreciate it!

Rob, yes of cause, pm or email me for details, one unit just made its way to NZ, the Brute eq is danish so you need nearly just reach out the window and grap it. Cheers.
    Last edited by jazzmus; 07-11-2017 at 09:04 AM.

User Info Menu

This looks like a great piece of kit; the extra features make a great deal of sense. Great to see this development happening..

I already have an 80s polytone baby brute, but even I am tempted!!

I can say that the maker definitely knows what he is doing and is great to correspond with.

User Info Menu

I put the Brute Eq in front of a henriksen head (everything flat) for the first time, and it just worked. So easy to use and controllable. The magic is definitely there. I'm a very happy chappy, Jazzmus has done a brilliant job.

User Info Menu

Based on my first impressions, yes it will most definitely. It's a completely different beast now.

I found that it completely balanced output, took away a boominess problem. It also removed a lot of very sensitive finger/string/fret interaction noise- a kind of very open, unmasked metallic quality that was off-putting. Overall it became warm and inviting and made me want to go places.

User Info Menu

Another happy customer !!

Ordered one last wednesday, et voila, it s here safe and sound on a lovely monday morning.
    Did a quick test with it : i m using an Ibanez AF155 archtop and a Boss Katana 100 amp.

Just fantastic, now i have my own portable Polytone.

All the strings are now balanced, like woolyhair said, no more boominess on the bass strings.
    The highpass filter works like a charm reducing some unwanted noises.
    The Edge control brings a nice clean and sharper sound to the mix.
    Overall sound just warm, clean, jazzy...

Just the first impressions.

And JazzMus is just a pleasure to deal with.

Thank you Ras !

User Info Menu

Mine arrived today -- I ordered it with the "dirtier" 4558 IC with a view to adding some colour to some very clean amps. I have only had a couple of hours to play with it today. I put it in the effects loop of a Clarus series II with a few different open- and closed-back cabinets, using a laminate hollowbody with a Biltoft CC and a Tele with a Lollar CC. I was concerned about noise from the single coils, but it wasn't a problem. I'll try it with other amps and guitars over the days to come.

Many years ago my main amp was a MiniBrute head. Loved the tone but gave it up as underpowered for the big bands I mostly played in back then, switching to the Clarus (series I at first). I have always found the Clarii slightly sterile-sounding and over the years tried a number of tube preamps to warm them up a bit, but was never completely happy with the result. My first impression of the Brute EQ pedal is that it does what I have been searching for in this respect. A bit of warmth, some sparkle, a touch of grit.

The Clarus has a built-in variable hi-pass filter but I found that I prefer the one in the pedal. I wasn't impressed with the pedal in front of the Clarus, but it worked like a dream in the effects loop. Next trial will be putting it in front of a powered speaker (as a surrogate for a PA).

Ras was a pleasure to deal with and took my self-inflicted international delivery issues in stride. Nice work, and you can get it!

User Info Menu

Mine just arrived. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm not sure which is an input and which an output (I don't use pedals...). Any advice?

Also, I think I need a power unit. What should I use? Can batteries be fitted?

Also, what does F/C7 and D/C7 signify?

And HPF?

Rob The Clueless (when it comes to technology!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Next trial will be putting it in front of a powered speaker (as a surrogate for a PA).

I would be interested to know if the pedal worked in front of a PA or powered speaker, let us know your findings please.

Mine just arrived. I haven't tried it yet, as I'm not sure which is an input and which an output (I don't use pedals...). Any advice?

Also, I think I need a power unit. What should I use? Can batteries be fitted?

And HPF?

Rob The Clueless (when it comes to technology!)
    Rob, i just e-mail'd you, ill Update the first post asap with the info, others have asked so you are not alone.
    Batteries are not an option, its a environmtal thing.
    The letters/weird chords are in the original Polytone P logo on the amps, i used them decoratively to, along with the name and fat B, clearly indicate the content.
    HPF is short for High pass filter.
    Last edited by jazzmus; 07-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Viewed from above, the input will be the one on the right. You can plug in your instrument there.

The output will be the socket on the left - so you can connect a cable from there to the where you would usually plug your guitar into your amp.

However, you might want to take a look at the back of your amp to see whether you have an FX-loop, with SEND (output) and RETURN (input).

If so, I'd recommend going that route - connecting a cable from SEND to the pedal input, and another cable from the pedal's output to RETURN. Then plug your guitar into the amp as you usually might. (I now do the same with a looper.)

I think it alludes to polychords & Polytone.

And HPF?
    'High Pass Filter' - allows high frequencies, but tames 'boomy' lows.

I'd definitely get a dedicated power adaptor for the pedal. (I somehow doubt whether you'll ever decide to use multiple pedals, but that can bring problems of unwanted noise in the form of buzzing/hum.)

But you'll also need cables - if you go via the FX-loop, you can get short ones called 'patch cables'.

Hope this helps, Rob - enjoy!
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-26-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Just one other question (for now!). What's the difference between going from the pedal into the usual guitar input, as opposed to the Send/Return method? I know I'd find out quickly by trying it out, but I don't have a power unit at present.

User Info Menu

Okay, we actually found a Boss 9v power supply in the house, so I've tried the pedal out. I can say it is most definitely an improvement over going straight into my Henriksen 12" JazzAmp! I'll be using it permanently attached. There is no Send/Return, so I'm going straight into the guitar input. It didn't take long at all to dial in some good sounds. I'd say it definitely warmed up the Henriksen. It's a high-quality item, for sure.

User Info Menu

Just one other question (for now!). What's the difference between going from the pedal into the usual guitar input, as opposed to the Send/Return method? I know I'd find out quickly by trying it out, but I don't have a power unit at present.
    I'm not competent to give a technical answer, but I'd like to offer my opinion.

I notice a different presence of the effect via fx-loop - in terms of the 'right' dosage (of warmth, grit, and almost 'valve-like' qualities). Nothing 'harsh' about it - it just helps make the amplified guitar sound fabulous. Vocals, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    I would be interested to know if the pedal worked in front of a PA or powered speaker, let us know your findings please.
    I tried it in front of a Schertler Pub with a couple of instruments and was not impressed, I think because of the full range speaker. Haven't had the opportunity to test a PA yet.

On the other hand I am really pleased with it in the effects loop of a Clarus, most recently with an (active) RMC-equipped nylon string (Kirk Sand) into a 15" open-backed Evans cabinet. I had wondered whether the combination of the two preamps would be a disadvantage, but not so. Far and away the cleanest, sweetest sound I have ever been able to get from this excellent guitar.

User Info Menu

The FX loop puts the pedals in between the pre amp and the power amp of Your amplifier.

I have never had such an modern vehicle so I have not experience on its effect to the sounds.

I suggest the One Spot power supply. Long and heavy cable, it survives some gigging too.

User Info Menu

Love the design of the Brute EQ - and if it sounds even half as good as it looks, my new JazzTone 'Polytone in a Pedal' (which sounds great) is going on my little pedalboard (for purposes of exploratory play at home).

(The inference being that the Brute EQ will get used on gigs.)
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-27-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Clarity

Hi guys, since this thread is still generating occasional requests, here is a update.
    The circuit is unchanged except some minor pcb changes for ease of assembly.
    Current finish - etched/countersunk black graphics on polished alloy.

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-brute-eq-top-lille-jpg

Also i just finished a slimmer version (122x66mm).
    Jazzed up the controls layout, left out the otherwise added edge circuit and filter switch to keep it simpler.

Polytone Pre Amp Pedal - Brute EQ-img_1202-1-jpg

I have parts to build the first/bigger version anytime and if theres is interest in the V.2 it will be ca. mid may towards early june before i can build/finish them.
    Cheers.

User Info Menu

Is there a version with DI out that would allow for a direct out to a PA? (or can it be customized this way?)