The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I saw mention of the Digitech Trio Band Creator Pedal
    Digitech Trio Pedal-digitech-trio-jpg
    in a thread here a few months ago. I initially dismissed it, but eventually ordered it as an alternative to a looper when practicing. I am glad that I did. It is quicker than noodling with the phone or the computer using BIAB to produce a vamp/song to practice with. You can get an upright bass line and a drum line to react to, easy peasy.

Clearly, the pedal wants to do Pop/Country/Rock/Blues more than jazz, but you can overcome that without issue. The main thing is this: don't play jazz when you are laying down the line for the "drummer" and "bassist" to follow. Play root chords with a prominent major or minor third when establishing the "song." Now, stomp the switch, establish the tempo/genre/style and play as you would ordinarily.

Short of having a couple of musicians around to practice with all the time, this is a convenient way for you to keep your chops up. Just blowing over this pedal for 30-minutes twice today I was able to knock the cobwebs out of my mind.

I'll keep this one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I find it a little unpredictable but that's probably because I'm very inconsistent. I bought one and liked it enough that I wanted to use it with my looper pedal but it's a difficult the sink so I actually took the trio plus. Never looked back… Very happy with mine

User Info Menu

Aw man.....

You have me gassing for this thing again after I successfully fought it off.

I went straight to YouTube and guess what? The manufacturers have one with a loop pedal incorporated into it! $270.00 but wow!

User Info Menu

That one stores 12 different songs and comes with an 8-gig SD card. No need for a footswitch, either (separate, that is) because it seamlessly builds up the A/B/C/D section of a song, unlike the one I have. Cool pedal.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm. Anybody linking up and jamming online? If gamers can why not jazzers..... This is a tempting wadget but it reminds me I'm off the beaten path.

User Info Menu

Yeah, when jazzbow posted the original thread, I developed a bad case of gottahaveititis. Fortunately my chronic procrastination and genetic thrift and general shortness of bread kept me from the brink. I rarely order online, but I am sorely tempted. My looper has not been gathering dust, but the box I'm storing it in is. Perhaps this new model is what I think I need.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 07-09-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Unless memory fails me, the original price for the Digitech Band Creator was around $180.00 US Dollars. Now they are around 140.00, with Guitar Center selling one for $89.00, somehow.

Now this new Digitech Trio + is around 260.00 and if you get the cables and footswitch package, it goes up over 300.00.

My loop pedal has been gathering dust, like Citizenk74's, but somehow, my warped mind is convinced that if I buy this, I will use it.

Oh the things we can convince ourselves of....

User Info Menu

The cheap suggestion that works for me is to play along with the local radio jazz station. You're on your toes, don't have the charts and have no idea about the set list. What could be more fun? Will resist.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    The cheap suggestion that works for me is to play along with the local radio jazz station. You're on your toes, don't have the charts and have no idea about the set list. What could be more fun? Will resist.....

I love this - and it's a good way of hearing music you may not have heard before. I discovered one of my favourite albums this way, "Far East Suite" by Duke Ellington.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    Yeah, one of my favourite pastimes too. I tend to use lounge beats and BBC 6 Radio stations too. A great way to get your head around chord progressions and rhythms.

I like the idea of the trio + with looper and I like the idea of someone else buying it for me! Ha ha ha.

I have enough with iReal pro to worry about buying more tech. I went through my sheet music collection recently and found I had amassed stuff I didn't need. I don't need other stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Aw man.....

You have me gassing for this thing again after I successfully fought it off.

I went straight to YouTube and guess what? The manufacturers have one with a loop pedal incorporated into it! $270.00 but wow!

Aha! My only misgiving about the earlier version is it has no "latin" setting. This one does. I practice a lot of bossa stuff, so I might just take the $plunge$ now.

User Info Menu

I've got to work on saying inexpensive instead of cheap, I've noticed that phrasing can affect your dating....

The trio concept dates from the days of the home organ auto accompaniment feature. I'm wondering if anybody is offering a software version that can be attached to a DAW. Of course that won't fit in a guitar case.

Is this the next development for solo looper style gigs?

User Info Menu

Say, the original version _does_ Latin stuff. If you put the Genre knob on Jazz you can record a Latin song. Then twiddle the Genre button until the bassist plays a One...Three-and line and the drummer does a snare reverse stick rim knock/and brush thing. It works very well for Latin songs. I have used this to work on some Jobim stuff so that I could demo it for my son.

User Info Menu

Aww man.. I gotta get me one of the these.

Is it complicated to learn?

I think I need one.

JD

User Info Menu

JD,

I read exactly nothing. I watched a YouTube video, ordered one, opened the box and started using mine. Easy!

Just make sure you are in tune because the bassist is tuned to A440.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405

I think I need one.

JD
    Which one are you looking at? Do you want the Trio or the Trio Plus?

Man, there are some guys on this forum who could work some magic with that thing. Imagine Destinytot with the Trio Plus. It would be like him playing with a band since he can sing!

User Info Menu

I have had a Trio for a couple of months. Unfortunately I have been too busy to play with it. Gotta make more time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Say, the original version _does_ Latin stuff. If you put the Genre knob on Jazz you can record a Latin song. Then twiddle the Genre button until the bassist plays a One...Three-and line and the drummer does a snare reverse stick rim knock/and brush thing. It works very well for Latin songs. I have used this to work on some Jobim stuff so that I could demo it for my son.

Great tip, thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405

I think I need one.

JD
    Joe, I'm glad this came up I just remembered that I.ve got the Trio+ in the cupboard
    and an RV6 Boss ReverbI had forgotten about. Time to start juggling methinks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Joe, I'm glad this came up I just remembered that I.ve got the Trio+ in the cupboard
    and an RV6 Boss ReverbI had forgotten about. Time to start juggling methinks
    silverfoxx, I am going to go and look in my cupboard!

Those are two pretty well-respected pedals. You will be making some beautiful music.

User Info Menu

Question to Trio/Trio+ owners:

It seems that the Trio/Trio+ is going go sound only as good as the sound system it is run into. Most of the videos is which they sound good have them running out to a PA system, while the guitar goes to the amp of choice.

Is this a true assumption on my part? Thanks.

(By the way, I am in the market this year for a nice PA system, somewhere on the order of 300 watts, and I am thinking that this Trio pedal could go pretty well with it.)

User Info Menu

silverfoxx, I am going to go and look in my cupboard!

Those are two pretty well-respected pedals. You will be making some beautiful music.
    AlsoRan

Thank you for this post, I had genuinely forgotten about the pedals the demo will certainly
    generate interest.

Lammie200

You are so right, time is of the essence, there are not enough hours in the day.

User Info Menu

I can find time to practice. I just need to budget it correctly to play with toys and record. That has been difficult.

User Info Menu

Question to Trio/Trio+ owners:

It seems that the Trio/Trio+ is going go sound only as good as the sound system it is run into. Most of the videos is which they sound good have them running out to a PA system, while the guitar goes to the amp of choice.

Is this a true assumption on my part? Thanks.

(By the way, I am in the market this year for a nice PA system, somewhere on the order of 300 watts, and I am thinking that this Trio pedal could go pretty well with it.)
    I'm only using it at home but definitely having it run into my headphone amp with the speaker emulator is not the best solution. Fortunately has a dedicated rhythm section out that I can run into a free port on my scarlet interface

User Info Menu

So far, I have only run the pedal into my Polytone MiniBrute IV. I am just using the amp out jack. Actually, everything sounds pretty derned good. I know that If I split and run the guitar from the amp out and the bass/drums from the mixer out (into one of my PAs) it will sound better, but I'm just practicing songs. I'm getting my money's worth right now.