The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hello musicians,

I look for a fender amp for playing in bebop blues style like grant green, wes montgomery, kenny burrell, barney kessel, etc...
    I play in organ trio in the style of joey defrancesco trio.

Blackfaces are very well but I prefer the old tweed sound.( I love particulary the grant green sound in Green street, but I think, it's an ampeg j12).
    The fender reissues are very expensive, so I searched the clones on the web. The weber amplifiers look very well for their prices.

I am afraid to have a clean headroom too small with the deluxe.
    Do you think the proluxe (deluxe 5e3 with 6v6 and 40w) or the twin (5e8a) is better for me ?

If you have an opinion or an experience with the fender tweed clone, can you share it ?

Thank you. nado.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That link to Weber kits is a 6L6 5E3 clone. I have a Lil Dawg Tweed Deluxe clone that is 6L6 based and 22 watts with a 12" Weber. I picked it up used, and I love it. Not the crystal clear clean that I am used to from my JazzKat, and Acoustic Image amps I have played thru, but very warm and responsive.

Here is a list of makers I know have a good rep building this circuit. I know of these thru users on The Gear Page. There are a couple used on the TGP emporium currently.

Victoria Amps
    Richter
    Clark
    Lil Dawg
    SDG
    Mission
    Ceriatone

I actually own a Ceritone Dumble clone, and it is an amazing amp for the $. Good luck

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nado64
    Hello musicians,

I look for a fender amp for playing in bebop blues style like grant green, wes montgomery, kenny burrell, barney kessel, etc...
    I play in organ trio in the style of joey defrancesco trio.

Blackfaces are very well but I prefer the old tweed sound.( I love particulary the grant green sound in Green street, but I think, it's an ampeg j12).
    The fender reissues are very expensive, so I searched the clones on the web. The weber amplifiers look very well for their prices.

I am afraid to have a clean headroom too small with the deluxe.
    Do you think the proluxe (deluxe 5e3 with 6v6 and 40w) or the twin (5e8a) is better for me ?

If you have an opinion or an experience with the fender tweed clone, can you share it ?

Thank you. nado.

I didn't notice any mention of "REVERB" in any of the schematics.

I did notice a few mistakes in some of the schematics however, e.g. the bias circuit of the bottommost amp. In addition, not all connections are explicitly shown, like the tube heater 6.3 V circuits.

Do you have any engineer friends if the going should get rough? Do you know how to use a digital multimeter?

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    That link to Weber kits is a 6L6 5E3 clone. I have a Lil Dawg Tweed Deluxe clone that is 6L6 based and 22 watts with a 12" Weber. I picked it up used, and I love it. Not the crystal clear clean that I am used to from my JazzKat, and Acoustic Image amps I have played thru, but very warm and responsive.

Here is a list of makers I know have a good rep building this circuit. I know of these thru users on The Gear Page. There are a couple used on the TGP emporium currently.

Victoria Amps
    Richter
    Clark
    Lil Dawg
    SDG
    Mission
    Ceriatone

I actually own a Ceritone Dumble clone, and it is an amazing amp for the $. Good luck
    There's a few Ceriatone Overtone Specials on eBay. Seems Ceriatone is located in Malyasia, an area known for internet chanagins.

However, considering the cost of a Two Rock, Fuchs, Glaswerks etc, something like the Ceriatone might save one $4000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    There's a few Ceriatone Overtone Specials on eBay. Seems Ceriatone is located in Malyasia, an area known for internet chanagins.

However, considering the cost of a Two Rock, Fuchs, Glaswerks etc, something like the Ceriatone might save one $4000.
    Yes, Ceritone is located in Malyasia. I have emailed Nik the owner back and forth several times when he was building mine. Always good customer service, and build time was as promised.

I hang out some on The Gear Page, which is THE site for all things guitar gear. He has a good rep there. The only knock is that US builders can't compete with him price-wise, so there is some animosity regarding that. He has gone a bit overboard on cloning some of his amps to where they look a bit too much like the original cosmetics and naming.

Jazzarian Guest
    Yes, Ceritone is located in Malyasia. I have emailed Nik the owner back and forth several times when he was building mine. Always good customer service, and build time was as promised.

I hang out some on The Gear Page, which is THE site for all things guitar gear. He has a good rep there. The only knock is that US builders can't compete with him price-wise, so there is some animosity regarding that. He has gone a bit overboard on cloning some of his amps to where they look a bit too much like the original cosmetics and naming.
    He built it instead of arriving as a kit? I didn't see that option on the website. What I saw was $700 in parts.

Jazzarian Guest

I see, kits 3 & 4 are assembled, $900 and $950. Add $200 for the cabinet.

Jazzarian Guest

I sent Dr Nick an email asking if they make a rackmount preamp version. I'd really like something along those lines for recording. Something to keep my Boogie Formula Pre company.

User Info Menu

Yes, I know very well electronic so no soucy.
    Reverb is not noticed, because first tweed amps didn't have it.
    For Ceritone, I have readed the ship is very very long (3 months)...

Derek, do you have a demo video or a mp3 online for listening the sound of your amp ?

User Info Menu

I see, kits 3 & 4 are assembled, $900 and $950. Add $200 for the cabinet.
    I had mine assembled by Nik and his crew, and bought the headcab here due to not wanting to pay for that much more shipping. He has a couple of links to stateside cab builders he recommends. I went with Gabkits and am very happy with the ease and quality.

User Info Menu

Yes, I know very well electronic so no soucy.
    Reverb is not noticed, because first tweed amps didn't have it.
    For Ceritone, I have readed the ship is very very long (3 months)...

Derek, do you have a demo video or a mp3 online for listening the sound of your amp ?

You'd think that in this age of technology, I would own gear to do such. Alas, I have my gear money tied up in guitars and amps. You can find clips on youtube and the various builder sites.

User Info Menu

What about the Peavey Classic?

I had one a few years ago, Classic 30, great amp, not sure how it compares to the Fender in tone.

Jazzarian Guest
    You'd think that in this age of technology, I would own gear to do such. Alas, I have my gear money tied up in guitars and amps. You can find clips on youtube and the various builder sites.
    Certainly you must record yourself? Know your way around Cakewalk?

Jazzarian Guest
    I had mine assembled by Nik and his crew, and bought the headcab here due to not wanting to pay for that much more shipping. He has a couple of links to stateside cab builders he recommends. I went with Gabkits and am very happy with the ease and quality.

Dr Nik says he can make a preamp. I wonder if he can include stereo buffered returns and speaker emulation.

That would be a nice package if he kept the price low. Since there's no big transformers and power tubes, that shouldn't be hard.

User Info Menu

Certainly you must record yourself? Know your way around Cakewalk?

Sorry, I have to admit to complete stupidity when it comes to computer recording stuff. Just haven't gotten into it. Last time I recorded anything, it was in a rock band during the late 80's/early 90's, and we recorded to cassette.

Jazzarian Guest
    Sorry, I have to admit to complete stupidity when it comes to computer recording stuff. Just haven't gotten into it. Last time I recorded anything, it was in a rock band during the late 80's/early 90's, and we recorded to cassette.

You seem to be missing out on Band in a Box and digital recording. Not to mention Soundclick, MP3.com etc.

I never knew I'd like being the composer, arranger, performer (many instruments), recording engineer.

Recording a solo 20 times over is still a drag.

User Info Menu

Oh, I have used BIAB and a looper for years, just don't have the recording thing.

User Info Menu

The problem on youtube, there are not demo with an archtop and a fender clone playing a jazz standard.

But it's not a matter if you don't have recording. Your opinion about clones is well.

No one have maked an amp kit ? Is it very long or difficult to make it ? your experiences, please...

Jazzarian Guest
    Oh, I have used BIAB and a looper for years, just don't have the recording thing.
    Digital recording (A/D) devices are incredibly cheap these days. So is recording software (can be had FREE actually). $99 buys a real nice software synth for BIAB.

I try to record 9 to 12 songs per year. I've got 8 so far this year. It's a great excuse for having the equipment in the first place. Nice to have my CD in my cars too, in case I get tired of Rosenwinkel.

User Info Menu

The problem on youtube, there are not demo with an archtop and a fender clone playing a jazz standard.

But it's not a matter if you don't have recording. Your opinion about clones is well.

No one have maked an amp kit ? Is it very long or difficult to make it ? your experiences, please...
    I depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron. I know a couple of guys who have, but they have a background in wiring/electronics. Me, I wouldn't know the first thing about it, and have very little interest in learning, so I am happy to pay for an assembled version.

Jazzarian Guest
    I depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron. I know a couple of guys who have, but they have a background in wiring/electronics. Me, I wouldn't know the first thing about it, and have very little interest in learning, so I am happy to pay for an assembled version.

I'd be hardpressed to top their wiring, from the pictures I've seen. They do a fine job.

Real handwiring. Can a Fuchs Overdrive Special boast the same for 3 times the price?

User Info Menu

Most amp kits are really paint by numbers. Fender (any era) are even easier. Mission amps makes some of the most user-friendly kits. You DO have to know how to solder. You will need a good soldering iron, pliers, cutters, strippers (not the good kind..)
    Now, having said that, kits are great if a)it is really really really REALLY the only option you have or b) you are interested in learning something about the innards of tube amps. You dont have to know anything about tube amps to build one.. just follow the instructions. But if something goes wrong and you are not interested in learning how to fix it you will have to get someone else to fix it for you.

User Info Menu

I'd be hardpressed to top their wiring, from the pictures I've seen. They do a fine job.

Real handwiring. Can a Fuchs Overdrive Special boast the same for 3 times the price?
    Yes, Andy Fuchs is a master. If you are familiar with Jimmy Herring, he uses his amps among others. He also uses higher quality components, but after a bit over a year of gigging once per week, no issues with my Ceriatone.

Jazzarian Guest
    Yes, Andy Fuchs is a master. If you are familiar with Jimmy Herring, he uses his amps among others. He also uses higher quality components, but after a bit over a year of gigging once per week, no issues with my Ceriatone.

My point being, Fuchs uses a PCB rather than handwiring. Actually a hybrid of PCB with external wires connecting the controls, transformer and choke, much like Mesa Boogie and Fender. Considering the PCB, Fuchs tends to be overpriced compared to handwired units.

I'll bet Dr Nik could go more upscale on parts for extra $$.

User Info Menu

The Proluxe is a great idea from the late Ted Weber; a 35-40 watt tweed Deluxe. Very portable, lots more headroom than a 5E3, and pretty easy to build. I have a Mission 5E3 kit that I modded to Proluxe specs and it works really well...