The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 107

User Info Menu

Love that PM100 Lobomov, and like the collection - nice strat and tele present and correct, and the P90 SG is also classic stuff. I wonder if you ever contemplate some sort of solid or semi-acoustic with humbuckers? Not that you necessarily should, I'm just curious!

EDIT - just read that you sold a Les Paul recently, so much for me paying attention - I guess not re the humbuckers guitar in that case.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hard to get in after this, but I try
    Post your guitar group photos!-dsc_0120-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy

EDIT - just read that you sold a Les Paul recently, so much for me paying attention - I guess not re the humbuckers guitar in that case.
    The LP went due to it's weight and general clumsiness and not due to it's humbuckers. Despite being a killer guitar I just never seemed to reach for it. I'm in no hurry, but will definately pick up a (lighter) two humbucker solid body up at some point
    Last edited by Lobomov; 07-02-2017 at 05:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The LP went due to it's weight and general clumsiness and not due to it's humbuckers. Despite being a killer guitar I just never seemed to reach for it. I'm in no hurry, but will definately pick up a (lighter) two humbucker solid body up at some point
    I'm sure there are plenty of suitable candidates to look at, and have fun finding the right one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    My brother and I put our Benedetto's and D'Angelico's together for a group photo several years ago. We let a few of these go since then, but it's a cool picture.
    Keith
    Attachment 43578

so we all know it is not a competition - but nevertheless

surely this must win!

User Info Menu

My small contribution.

Post your guitar group photos!-img_0252-jpg

User Info Menu

I like that here on the Jazzguitar Forum that the guitar collections are smaller than on Thegearpage Forums. It's a bit more about playing the guitar vs just collecting them. Not by much though,LOL!

User Info Menu

I do play all 12 in the photo of my collection fairly regularly - it might be a bit of an excessive number I admit, but also I find being able to switch to a different guitar can help with the old inspiration sometimes. Lovely looking 335 in the pic above I must say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    I do play all 12 in the photo of my collection fairly regularly - it might be a bit of an excessive number I admit, but also I find being able to switch to a different guitar can help with the old inspiration sometimes. Lovely looking 335 in the pic above I must say.
    Btw I just realized that you have a severe shortage of P90s in your collection

User Info Menu

My group is a duo
    Post your guitar group photos!-willguitars1-1-jpg

User Info Menu

My buddy Thor just put his out on display.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    My group is a duo
    Post your guitar group photos!-willguitars1-1-jpg
    Great pair of twins!

I have a (modern ) EXL-1. I'm looking replace the pickup for a warmer sound. What pickup did you replace your stock pick up with? How do you like it?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I like that here on the Jazzguitar Forum that the guitar collections are smaller than on Thegearpage Forums. It's a bit more about playing the guitar vs just collecting them. Not by much though,LOL!
    Yeah...about that...Post your guitar group photos!-20170625_095948_resized-jpgPost your guitar group photos!-20170625_095942_resized-jpgPost your guitar group photos!-20170625_100032_resized-jpgPost your guitar group photos!-20170625_095936_resized-jpg
    I made a display case out of a dining room...

User Info Menu

I've never had a warmer pickup than the az48. It's superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis
    Great pair of twins!

I have a (modern ) EXL-1. I'm looking replace the pickup for a warmer sound. What pickup did you replace your stock pick up with? How do you like it?

Thanks
    My EXL-1 is from 2013 so recent as well. I found the stock pickup to be thin and having a very narrow dynamic range so it sounded very nasally with everything set at neutral and didn't really get much better with tone/eq tweaks.

I replaced it with a Shadow AZ48 and with amp/tone/eq neutral settings the tone is warm rich and with a wide dynamic range . I use Thomastik Infeld Swings for strings. I also use an Empress ParaEq to refine the tone to personal taste. I think it really complements the EXL natural acoustic sound rather than colors it which is what I was after.

hope that helps

Will

User Info Menu

My EXL-1 is from 2013 so recent as well. I found the stock pickup to be thin and having a very narrow dynamic range so it sounded very nasally with everything set at neutral and didn't really get much better with tone/eq tweaks.

I replaced it with a Shadow AZ48 and with amp/tone/eq neutral settings the tone is warm rich and with a wide dynamic range . I use Thomastik Infeld Swings for strings. I also use an Empress ParaEq to refine the tone to personal taste. I think it really complements the EXL natural acoustic sound rather than colors it which is what I was after.

hope that helps

Will
    Will, thank you for the information. It confirms what I suspected. I will have to keep the ParaEq in mind in the future.

One more question: Is the AZ48 available in sidemount or did you have to neck mount with screw holes?

Thanks again,
    Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis
    Will, thank you for the information. It confirms what I suspected. I will have to keep the ParaEq in mind in the future.

One more question: Is the AZ48 available in sidemount or did you have to neck mount with screw holes?

Thanks again,
    Ken
    Not sure if there is a sidemount option cant say I checked. Sure you could make one with a little thin metal and epoxy that would function like the stock attachment. On my EXL it has upper and lower indents on the neck extension that look like they were designed to accommodate a neck mounted floater. Perhaps it was an option or a plan that never saw the light of day. The AZ48 neck mount bracket was approx 6-8 mm wider than the neck/indent width so I put a little " crook " in the upper and lower bracket mount arms to narrow the bracket arm width to fit. I also filled down a little bit on the upper edges of the mounting bracket arms to get a comfortable clearance between the bottom of the pickup and the top of the guitar so it was truly floating even if I leaned on it

Hope that helps

Will

User Info Menu

Not sure if there is a sidemount option cant say I checked. Sure you could make one with a little thin metal and epoxy that would function like the stock attachment. On my EXL it has upper and lower indents on the neck extension that look like they were designed to accommodate a neck mounted floater. Perhaps it was an option or a plan that never saw the light of day. The AZ48 neck mount bracket was approx 6-8 mm wider than the neck/indent width so I put a little " crook " in the upper and lower bracket mount arms to narrow the bracket arm width to fit. I also filled down a little bit on the upper edges of the mounting bracket arms to get a comfortable clearance between the bottom of the pickup and the top of the guitar so it was truly floating even if I leaned on it

Hope that helps

Will
    Now that you mention it, I do see the neck-extension indents, so neck mount should be no problem.
    I'm decent with my hands so I should be able to get the pickup to fit and look acceptable.

Thanks for all of your help.

Ken

User Info Menu

Your welcome - I think it is a fabulous combo . If you go that route let me know how it plays out for you.

Will

User Info Menu

Here's my collection. 2004 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III, 2004 Gibson SG Standard, 2014 Gibson Melody Maker P-90s, 2003 Fender 62 AVRI Stratocaster, 1995 Gibson ES-175, 2004 Fender American Ash (8502) Telecaster, 1980 Fender Vibrolux Reverb:

Post your guitar group photos!-dan_l_guitars-jpg

User Info Menu

That is a very well selected collection you have there. I really like that. Well done sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    That is a very well selected collection you have there. I really like that. Well done sir!
    Thanks Rhythmisking! Very happy with these except I'm still on the hunt for a hollow-body or semi with P-90s.We all know how that goes...

User Info Menu

If I show you then I'd have to kill you all are secret prototypes.

Post your guitar group photos!-guitardone-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd rather be slain by your prowess as a player than as a luthier,LOL!

User Info Menu

A couple of things are clear about this post...

Most of us need larger walls, and or more git stands, some like me need a better flash, and wider angle lenses :-)

I'm eclectic in buying. I play my archtops more but can't keep from passing up a good deal on a semi. Here's my 335 clone blonde wall. I call it "Blondes without boobs", or is that "the boob's blondes"

Post your guitar group photos!-blondes_f-jpg