The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 107

User Info Menu

I was at recording session at a friend's house, and I forgot guitar stands, so my guitars where hanging out on the couch in between takes.

Post your guitar group photos!-three-guitars-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My vintage D'Angelicos for this thread....

Attachment 43657
    3 of the most incredible Guitars in the world. Now can you get a better camera, will you please?

JD

User Info Menu

Post your guitar group photos!-img-0714-jpg

L to R on wall: Eastman E6OM-LTD (#61/100); 2006 Gibson L5CES (Hutch inspected/signed); 2015 Gibson ES 175 '59 VOS Reissue; Partscaster (nitro finish, birdseye neck, Biltoft Vintage Vibe P/U's); 2017 Eastman T486. On the floor: Alhambra 9P; 1964 Gibson C1 nylon string; Godin Multiac Nylon Encore.

User Info Menu

I’m not a doctor or a lawyer but I’ve got a couch and some guitars!

Post your guitar group photos!-c30ae283-f5f3-450f-9e46-814d9a031667-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    3 of the most incredible Guitars in the world. Now can you get a better camera, will you please?

JD
    After buying three vintage D'Angelicos, there ain't any money left for a good camera, I'm telling you!

User Info Menu

Attachment 55526Attachment 55525

Delightful thread. Here are a few of mine in regular play rotation.

On the left, the rare Paddock Metropolitan (he built 2 or 3 before he died), fully carved 16” travel archtop—neck unbolts, trapeze/bridge/nut all stow in a carryon case Mr. Paddock also engineered.

The other 3: a Noralia semihollow, an Eastman El Rey 4, and a ‘68 Guild M65. Pay no attention to the Godin bass poking its head into the frame.

User Info Menu

So I took this photo today. 1949 Cutaway and 37 non. Frankly a cutaway is not needed to produce good guitar playing.
    Post your guitar group photos!-9abe427c-08c4-4800-8224-7f79f2db4fc5-jpg

User Info Menu

Mark, can you post a shot of the non cut headstock, looks very unusual. Can't say I've seen a stairstep t.p. w stars engraved either.
    One thing for sure John D. wasn't strict about his ornamentation or even body sizes.
    I had a '37 Excel once that was 16" wide and 2.5" deep.

User Info Menu

I have a few pics of this and yes this was different. When I bought this the orginal owner Robert Lessey ( name on pearl) he wanted a real show piece. He told me at the time he was working with Don Redmond orchestra. It was a big time gig and they wanted all the stops pulled out. He went to John D'angelico at the advice of his friend the well known Bernard Addison, who also had a D'angelico. Both of these players were African Americans and probably the minority of any D'angelico owners and even of other guitarist listed by other manufacturers.

This 37 NY is only the 3rd one listed in the ledger so clearly one of the first. Has a huge nice neck that is incredibly modern feeling to my hands and I can play single line bop all over this puppy with ease. The pickguard is completely orginal and intact without the slightest bit of gassing that sometimes happens. This was in 1937 and I think the bad stuff does not happen until the 1950's. Probably some chemical engineer could explain the situation. It plays 4 bar rhythm almost by itself I hardly have to think...……. a real benefit with my chops..

Finally just for some interesting things. The 1949 is actually about 18 1/4 inches across the body. If I were to make a guitar myself I would copy the body shape of this NY it just sit on the lap really nice. It has a huge bottom end with a tremendous bass that just is so smooth. My late friend Bill Hollenbeck said that his guitar was one of his favorites of all because the bass response, he could tell that the top was not just carved to some number...…….but carved to a " responsive sound." More on that in a different thread if interest.

User Info Menu

Late to the party, bur here we go...
    Attached Images Attached Images Post your guitar group photos!-guitars0818-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    So I took this photo today. 1949 Cutaway and 37 non. Frankly a cutaway is not needed to produce good guitar playing.
    Post your guitar group photos!-9abe427c-08c4-4800-8224-7f79f2db4fc5-jpg
    Deacon Mark, I am in awe..
    A cutaway New Yorker would do it for me. In fact I’d probably agree to not eat pizza for the rest of my life if I could get one. That guitar would sit up perfectly on my lap too, but probably because of the huge boner I’d have everytime I played it.
    Man, what a pair of guitars. My goodness..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

c'mon Joe D...let's not get carried away!!! haha

the siciiian!!

cheers

User Info Menu

yike no pizza really?????

User Info Menu

Post your guitar group photos!-a31841b1-7232-46b0-81eb-0e1c1a11ac35-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The LP went due to it's weight and general clumsiness and not due to it's humbuckers. Despite being a killer guitar I just never seemed to reach for it. I'm in no hurry, but will definately pick up a (lighter) two humbucker solid body up at some point
    If you can find one maybe consider a ES-Les Paul I really dig mine.

User Info Menu

pictures of guitar gear and pizza talk!! and enough real life to make one humble... is this the best forum or what?!!

bens of soho nyc...you'll notice the canopy lists specializing sicillian pizza first..and thats definitely their strong point..old school...crowded morning noon and nite...if you're in soho nyc...(after visiting rudys guitar shop)...it's the place to visit...hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Well, I don't have any pics of all my guitars together, but I do have pictures of my homemade pizza.

Post your guitar group photos!-fb_img_1535331297288-jpgPost your guitar group photos!-fb_img_1535331254069-jpg

Chicago thin crust on the bottom, deep dish (tourist pizza) on the top...

User Info Menu

Jeff, that looks great!
    Legitimate!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, I don't have any pics of all my guitars together, but I do have pictures of my homemade pizza.

Post your guitar group photos!-fb_img_1535331297288-jpgPost your guitar group photos!-fb_img_1535331254069-jpg

Jeff, I lived in Chicagoland for two and a half years. I like the tourist pizza just fine, but being a Philadelphian/New Yorker, thin crust pie was (and is still) my preference. I was always dismayed by the way you folks in the mid-west cut your pizza (party style, in squares). Being an Easterner, I need some crust to hold onto while I eat my pizza with my hands.

I do not trust people who eat pizza with a knife and fork .

User Info Menu

If the Chicago pub style's any good you can hold a middle just fine with no crust.

All killer, no filler.

(I'm an end guy, though, through and through. My kids love corners)

User Info Menu

Jeff,

I am impressed with the photo and unlike some of the guitars the pizza is a bit more affordable. Wow what more could we really need than a great Chicago Pizza and Goose Island IPA. With a nice 175 and a polytone mini brute we can have a great time. Forget the lifestyles of the rich and famous..........good pizza, good beer, and good guitars..........we can be living the dream right!

The Advance

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying this thread. Here's a snapshot in time:
    Post your guitar group photos!-p1100829-jpg

User Info Menu

Now I know I’m feeling pretty salty knowing I’m picking up my hearing aids today, and I know in the spirit of inter coastal brotherhood there’s all this pizza banter.

Mr B, both of your pizzas look very, very tasty. Kudos

BUT I’m throwing the Bullshit Flag on you calling deep dish tourist pizza.
    in my neighbored that’s a 15 yard penalty and a loss of down.
    call your local Lou Malnattis and order the Large Lou’s Classic unsliced, and get back to me.

pppppplease

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 03-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.