The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    It does seem to be the case that sunburst has been more common, but natural and blonde guitars have been around for a long time, and many on this forum prefer them.
    Probably because it takes more consistent (more costly) figured a/o blemish-free woods for blondes. Especially when you consider that a burst is more work to do, and highly skilled at that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    ...Especially when you consider that a burst is more work to do, and highly skilled at that.
    Maybe not so skilled considering the pics that I posted above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200

User Info Menu

JPF, don't get sunburst coz it looks janky.

Natural looks anaemic.

Burgundy is cool, go for burgundy...

Considering an Epiphone ES-175 - Got myself a Natural-es175_pr_wr_all-jpg
    It has a voice that would make a wolverine purr....

Considering an Epiphone ES-175 - Got myself a Natural-ronburgundy-jpg
    I immediately regret this descision

User Info Menu

Put on a blindfold and buy the guitar that plays and sounds the best. If you don't like the color of the better guitar wear sunglasses all the time and tell people you're a Howard Robert fan.

User Info Menu

yeah, wine red was the best color by some distance. followed by black, natural and burst in this case, for reasons partially illustrated above. at a lower price point, its easier to take a risk with the finish, and the first two just flat out looked better, so there. it wasn't all just because they weren't super quotidian.

mind you, i am a long time wine red partisan, but it won fair and square.

but yes, put things in your hands and get the best sounding one, if possible.

i like those too, but also that "shaved" red or solud red gloss

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePassFan
    I've had well in excess of 200 guitars over the years. One night I counted them up (the ones I could remember) and I think I got to 219. That was a few years ago and I've bought a good 30-35 since. Ironically, I only keep around 15-25 guitars at any given time though.
    You have a past of 219 guitars that can you remember, and then you ask here what color should you buy?

Gimme a freaking break! What I think is that you're completely and absolutely full of it, to the point that I don't even believe you play at all.

Have a nice day, while you count to your actual 25 guitars... then you wake up!
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-23-2017 at 04:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    You have a past of 219 guitars that can you remember, and then you ask here what color should you buy?

Gimme a freaking break! What I think is that you're completely and absolutely full of it, to the point that I don't even believe you play at all.

Have a nice day, while you count to you actual 25 guitars... then you wake up!
    Haha. Well. You're most entitled to that opinion, Sir. I know due to the extent of instruments I've had through my hands.. some may find it extremely difficult to believe. I know there are people out there that have had five or six guitars in a lifetime. Years ago, a luthier (who played professionally.. generally country picking) I used to use, had one guitar.. a beautiful Telecaster made entirely by himself (well he did have an acoustic too, obviously.. but that's an entirely different story).

But that said, all I can do is tell the truth about myself.. and that's the truth, I give you my word, I've had well over 200 guitars (but that, obviously being zero indication of talent..) whether you choose to believe it or not. I assure you I am not full of it and I understand what you're saying and your skeptical thoughts 100%.. However, rest assured.. I've nothing to gain from telling anyone I've had 200 guitars if I haven't. Maybe there are just some strange people out there? Haha. I'm the first one to hold my hands up. I have had a hell of alot of guitars. I've more respect for the forum than to come on here and talk a load of nonsense. What way people interpret it is out of my hands. The amount of guitars I've had is actually the subject of comedy amongst some of my fellow musicians.

I know one young man (much more talented than myself, I might add) who played a piece of junk korean Epiphone Les Paul half his life (that's all he's ever had), I actually gave it a refret last year (and let me tell you it needed one!) Anyways, yes, it all adds up. I think I have sort of a hoarding disorder to be honest.. it manifests itself in different forms.. guitars being one of the better ones, I have to walk into my room sideways to get into bed for there are that many guitar cases laying on the floor. I just never have enough guitars. I know it may seem odd to a player who's had 5-6 in a lifetime but there are people out there who have had alot, me being one of them. They're my passion. The way I see it is it's better than spending my money on drink or drugs. At least I have something to show for it. It's my true passion.

As for my playing, I don't see myself as much of a player at all.. nor am I saying I am.. sure I can rip out some decent electric blues but there are people out there a million times better than me. I'm almost 30.. at this stage I know what i am.. I'm "okay".. average at best. I'm most definitely not a guitar genius. I've seen some people on here who post YouTube videos and I'm literally blown away by their talent.. but jazz isn't exactly my discipline. It's a whole new world to me, in a way.

Have a nice day also. Thank you for your comment. I appreciate all input. Good or bad. I'm actually going to do a headcount today, you've put the notion on me. I'll tell you exactly how many guitars I have at the moment! I sort of "buy and sell" at them also.. I do have ten or twelve I would never part with. The rest just come and go. But generally I've usually around the 20+ mark. Alot of the guitars I have aren't really worth alot of money. They're mostly cheapies (with a few notable exceptions). I just find them interesting. I picked up an old "jazz" solid body from 1963 a few years ago you folks might actually find it interesting. It was made by a company called Musima in (East) Germany I believe marketed at the jazz market in the early 60s. I'll post pictures of it if anyone would like to see it. But seeing the quality of guitars on here I'd doubt anyone would dig my old pieces of junk. Haha.

Kindest regards,

JPF
    Last edited by JoePassFan; 06-23-2017 at 07:40 AM.

User Info Menu

If I were to get an Epi 175 I would buy the 295 in walnut, take off the bigsby and mount a normal wide bevel pickguard...... but I prefer P90s plus I am weird and overly sensitive to image....Considering an Epiphone ES-175 - Got myself a Natural

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    If I were to get an Epi 175 I would buy the 295 in walnut, take off the bigsby and mount a normal wide bevel pickguard...... but I prefer P90s plus I am weird and overly sensitive to image....Considering an Epiphone ES-175 - Got myself a Natural

Can you still get those new? I thought they were discontinued. I actually think like yourself! I would buy a metallic gold one in a heartbeat, long before an ES-175, simply because it fits the bill and I love Scotty Moore. Always have done. But nowhere seemed to have them in stock any more so I just assumed they were discontinued. There's another beautiful copy of an ES-295 in gold by a more obscure manufacturer (the name escapes me.. never had one) I was recommended also. It looks very nice. Very elegant. Nice f holes. It has a clear pick guard though.. at least the one I looked at. It isn't overly expensive. Around the £8-1000 mark. Not much more than the little Epi really. I'll try and find the name of them on Google. But they aren't that common.. at least where I'm from anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sir. Greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JoePassFan; 06-23-2017 at 05:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh I don't know if they are still in production or not! Would be a real shame if they are discontinued!

Is not Peerless that also makes an ES-295 copy?

User Info Menu

Yes, it's Peerless:

User Info Menu

Yes, you're 100% correct. I just checked.. a Peerless Gigmaster SC? I've really no experience of Peerless. Although I did have a Peavey Rockingham with a Bigsby once. I think the early ones.. like mine.. were made by Peerless (open to correction). I sold it to a travelling musician. He was blown away by it.. he didn't speak too highly of Gretsch. He had one or two previously and sold them (I assume they were probably high end ones.. maybe ten times the price of the Rockingham!) and he said he liked the Rockingham much better. Now this man could play! He was playing George Benson and Wes Montgomery stuff on it note for note immediately! It kind of sparked my interest in Jazz all the more. I regret parting with that guitar. I set it up to play like a dream, had a set of flatwound 12s on it, fiddled with the humbuckers until i got it sounding sweet and fitted a good roller bridge. I wish I'd never hade sold it as I play a bit of Rockabilly too and it was ideal for that. To make it all the worse I basically gave it away! Thinking back, I got a pityful price for it.

I don't really have that many guitars with P90s at the moment Off the top of my head, just a Les Paul Gold-Top, another cheapie "Vintage" (That's the brand.. not sure if you get them in the States) Les Paul Gold-Top (the P90s are Wilkinsons.. and stacked I believe) and a little Epiphone Wildkat (which I love). It suits me perfect. Essentially it's about the size of a Les Paul, just with dog-ears, f-holes and a Bigsby. Cool headstock and a nice antique natural top. I think the Wildkat is a great little bargain as a budget Rockabilly machine. Not forgetting, alot of the old guys used P90s. I think of Brian Setzer and his big ol' Gretsch with humbuckers as a relatively new thing. Alot of the Rockabilly crowd are more about their pomps and brothel creeper than the music where I come from.

That Peerless is a beauty. I think I might pick one of those up too. I'll do a bit of research on them first. As for the Epi.. it seems to still be in their production category. I just can't find any for sale anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help and kindness. It means alot to me. You're a gentleman (or woman).
    Last edited by JoePassFan; 06-23-2017 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePassFan
    all I can do is tell the truth about myself.. and that's the truth, I give you my word
    Before I go any further, I assume you're familiar with the phrase "Everything you say can and will be used against you".

Second... I hope you're aware that everything you wrote is easily searchable and it can't be deleted... so now... are you completely sure you don't want to come clean...?

That's going to be the only chance given. So... are you SURE you don't have anything to tell us, before is too late? I already know you're british and living in the London area.

Well...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Before I go any further, I assume you're familiar with the phrase "Everything you say can and will be used against you".

Second... I hope you're aware that everything you wrote is easily searchable and it can't be deleted... so now... are you completely sure you don't want to come clean...?

That's going to be the only chance given. So... are you SURE you don't have anything to tell us, before is too late? I already know you're british and living in the London area.

Well...?
    I genuinely don't know what to make of this.. if you're even serious or joking me as I'm a newbie. It seems bizarre to me. I've nothing to "come clean" about? I've had over 200 guitars through the years and I'm an average blues guitarist.. what's the big deal about that? It can't be proved or unproved.. it's just a fact. Why would that get to anyone? I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of members on guitar forums in the same situation..

Yes, I'm am indeed British (half Italian actually, my Mother was from Salerno). I'm originally from Yorkshire but I currently live and work in London. I don't see why that's an issue or of any interest either.. I just don't understand what you mean or why you have an problem with my few threads and introduction posts. Or why they're such a big issue to you. I haven't said anything derogatory or offensive to you and I have no need to delete or amend anything either as well.. if I did, I'd be telling lies..

I'm somewhat puzzled by all this to be honest. Whilst I'll not make any assumptions, it seems to me like I have irritated or frustrated you in some way just by posting on here. You seem very opposed to me (for whatever reason, I've no idea) I obviously didn't mean to cause you any anger if that is the case.. but how you perceive the few posts I made is entirely out of my control, so I can't apologise for it either.

If I genuinely bother you to that extent just by posting a few threads asking a few basic questions. Why not just add me to your ignore list? Like I'm going to do with you right now. Not that I've anything against you.. not in the slightest. I just don't find your posts very welcoming. I just came on her to converse with fellow musicians and learn more about Jazz. I didn't join up to compete in petty squabbles or provide counselling for people with anger issues. I get enough of that at work. I really think you should have more respect for the forum. This is not how it was intended to be used.

Holding on to anger is like holding a hot coal expecting the other person to get burnt.
    Last edited by JoePassFan; 06-23-2017 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Tough crowd today. I would still stay away from an Epi ES 175 SB finish. If there was a way to make a sunburst finish look cheap they found it, IMHO.

User Info Menu

LtKojak is to be approached with the 20-80 rule: take only 20% of what he writes seriously :-)

The veteran forum members know that by now! (And appreciate his humour! Well, I do!)

User Info Menu

I have a sunburst, and the pattern on the back doesn't bother me at all. The neck is real skinny though, which I find less than ideal. The amplified tone is good enough for me to live with the skinny neck.

User Info Menu

Changing the pickups/guard on the walnut 295 is a great idea. I am not into the Epiphone 175s but I'll tell you what, if they made a walnut one I would buy it. I love walnut finish archtops/semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

If it's any help that there Peerless SC is a damn fine guitar with a better feel than the 2012 Gibson ES 175 I pitched it against at the time.

As for everything else mentioned so far, hmm................ Burgundy all the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Highly skilled robotic arm.

User Info Menu

I own two Gibson 175's, one blonde and one burst. That is how I solved that question.

But why play an Epi when you can play a Gibson? Life is short. Play the best guitar that you can, while you can.