The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

Philippe Bosset Strings-image-jpg

Now officially and happily endorsing Philippe Bosset strings, especially the Soft Brass set for acoustic archtop guitars. Best I've tried. They threw in a few tin-plated trebles for me to try.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Very sexy bro..

I think you guys on the other side of the "pond" have the best choices for strings and at the best prices too.

I am glad for you. And a little jealous too..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Why jealous, Joe? Here they are in the US, and at a great price too:

Phillipe Bosset Acoustique 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings 13-56

User Info Menu

If 80/20 is not your thing, I highly recommend their phosphor bronze set:

Philippe Bosset Acoustique Phos Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings 13-56 : Strings By Mail

...other sizes available.

User Info Menu

Rob,

I'm getting a couple sets to try, found Phillipe Bosset at Strings by Mail so I
    will take the plunge.

Thanks for the recommendation.

User Info Menu

Let's face it. The best strings in the world are all made in Europe. We pay a high price for them in the USA. I think that is where the jealousy lies. IMO American made strings are junk.

Many years ago America made fine round core strings. That is no longer the case.

User Info Menu

Well, Vinny, we in Europe pay nearly twice what you do for guitars. That really hurts. Given the option of cheap quality strings or cheap quality guitars...I'd opt for the guitars! But, yes, we do make nice strings here.

User Info Menu

Has anybody tried Curt Mangan Strings (curtmangan.com)? It's a small company in Colorado who sells mostly direct or through mom and pop music stores. I've used them for years and they're the best strings I've ever tried. They last probably three times longer than any other brand I've used, and even when they wear out the tone from them is still usable. They make strings in many materials - Monel, stainless steel, nickel wound and pure nickel, both round and flatwound, and also with both hex and round core. They source their materials exclusively from U. S. manufacturers. Just curious to know if anyone uses them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, Vinny, we in Europe pay nearly twice what you do for guitars. That really hurts. Given the option of cheap quality strings or cheap quality guitars...I'd opt for the guitars! But, yes, we do make nice strings here.
    Solid point ya got there Rob. I've got comeback for that one.

JD

User Info Menu

the biggest area of difference between usa and european string makers..especially as pertains to jazz players... is that only the europeans make a non stainless steel flatwound...thomastik and pyramids are vintage style- pure nickel..and rotosound makes a monel flat set

huge difference! in cost..tone...feel, and longevity

stateside every string company insists on stainless steel flats...material cost$ no doubt the issue, but you'd think some enterprising usa company would offer some pure nickel flats... especially with thomastiks increasing popularity with the jazz and roots rockabilly crowd...they've been blowing it for years already

cheers

User Info Menu

I'm currently in a new string experimenting stage. I'll have to try these out next on my old '34 L7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000
    Has anybody tried Curt Mangan Strings (curtmangan.com)? It's a small company in Colorado who sells mostly direct or through mom and pop music stores. I've used them for years and they're the best strings I've ever tried.
    I started using them this year and really like them. Great on my acoustic archtop guitars.

User Info Menu

i 've also heard that curt mangan makes quite the string.

i also thought "nsd" was in reference to socks, and i'd see some sweet new footwear. disappointing.

but since i'm in the string market again, what makes these different or better than what's available in the states? especially for acoustic flat top and arch top guitars?

User Info Menu

They ARE available in the States. What makes them better? You won't know till you try. I'm not being facetious, as you have to try them on your guitar with your technique. I imagine if you have an acoustic archtop with a floater rather than an inset humbucker, they will really help bring out the acoustic character of your instrument. They made my D'Aquisto sparkle like no other string. So, they are better for me when I play this instrument.

Sorry about the socks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    IMO American made strings are junk.
    I don't think EUROPEANS quite agree with you, as American-made strings (for electric and acoustic guitar, that is) still generate the majority of bulk sales. In Europe. Fun fact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    I don't think EUROPEANS quite agree with you, as American-made strings (for electric and acoustic guitar, that is) still generate the majority of bulk sales. In Europe. Fun fact.
    That's interesting and I'm not really surprised to hear it. I would say that since I started playing guitar in the sixties virtually every set of strings I have bought has been American. I had no idea that European brands were so revered across the pond. I don't often experiment since I find D'Addario Chrome flatwounds to be the perfect string for me. Out of curiosity I bought a couple of sets of TI Jazz Swings recently which was a most uncomfortable and expensive experience. I know they are highly recommended by many but they don't work for me. I don't know of any other European brand that might compare favourably with the feel, tone, durability and price of Chromes but I would be happy to hear recommendations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stoneground
    I don't know of any other European brand that might compare favourably with the feel, tone, durability and price of Chromes but I would be happy to hear recommendations.
    Well, I can vouch for the following made-in-Italy: Galli strings:

JF Jazz Flat Elettrica : JF1252 med light

These are the ones I replaced the D'Adds with: Hex core, extremely low finger noise, not coated but nonetheless last an eternity and a half without being too hard on the frets.

That's what I'd try next: Dogal strings. Round core, made in Italy

EXPRESSIVE JAZZ STRINGS - Dogal

My choice would be the R40D set. 12-52

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-22-2017 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

If anyone wants to continue a thread about American v European strings, could they please create another thread with that heading. My intention was share my news about my endorsement of the Philippe Bosset strings. We've drifted somewhat from that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    If anyone wants to continue a thread about American v European strings, could they please create another thread with that heading. My intention was share my news about my endorsement of the Philippe Bosset strings. We've drifted somewhat from that.
    Agree Rob, got off track a bit. Congrats on your endorsement deal with Phillipe Bosset strings. I plan to try them out.

(UPDATE: I just ordered a set from Strings By Mail. Lookin' forward to giving them a go.)
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 06-22-2017 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

oh, yes, congratulations are most certainly in order. how did that come about? did they find themselves unable to resist your rugged, black and white masculinity?

and if anyone one were to care about the acoustic sound of an archtop it would be you, i suppose. but do the strings play well with floating pickups? have you experimented with inset humbuckers and flat tops also, by chance?

(i plan to stock up on strings once the 4th of july sales come around so i'm doing my homework now)

User Info Menu

Thanks. I did write to them, saying I'd tried about a dozen brands, and found theirs the best for acoustic archtop. The 80/20 strings do not get picked up as well as the phosphor bronze strings (which they also make), so I got Aaron Armstrong (Kent's son) to make me a Benedetto-style floater specifically tuned to picking up 80/20 strings, and it works beautifully. That said, I hardly ever play through an amp...but if I need to, I know I'm going to get a good sound.

For inset humbuckers, I would opt for the phosphor bronze variety. I haven't used them on a flattop yet, but have a small-bodied Taylor which might enjoy them. I might try them on that soon.

User Info Menu

Congrats Rob- I can't seem to find any info regarding tension of the 80/20 or PB sets . Anyone seen any info? . I'm currently using DR Rare strings which claim to be comparatively low tension for a given diameter.

cheers

Will

1951 Gibson Super 300

User Info Menu

I don't know either. You could drop them an email. They are very sociable, and speak English.

User Info Menu

Rob and Crew...

Just got my Phillipe Bosset Bronze 80/20 1356 strings, was sooooo excited!!

Started stringing my Magnolia, and knew I was in trouble right away....

... they are too short for my 17" guitars.

3rd and 4th strings are the culprits.

These gorgeous strings are 36" long and my Trenier is 35.75", the sweet L7C is 35.25"

(I measured (thrice)*** from tailstop to D-post)...

Good news is they should work nicely on my 16" guitar(s) which measured at 33.5" ***

For reference, the usual bronze 80/20 strings I buy (John Perarse) are ~42" long ***
    They even work on my massive 18" Emperor

For your 18" that is incoming, I suggest you continue to buy strings in 10' lengths!!