The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I am getting something that has happened on my other guitars but a whole lot more on my new Gibson ES-175 - a lot of sympathetic ringing from the tailpiece. I'm not sure why it is happening so much on this guitar.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a product or a home solution that doesn't look awful that would mute them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've used tape usually the string(s) with a couple winds of cellophane or masking tape and squeeze it tight ro stop them from vibrating. If just one string you can try various things like detuning a bit and stretching it and retune it sometimes will change the character of the string.

User Info Menu

the string tension can pull the tailpiece higher off the body with time.. reduces the tailpiece to bridge string angle...so buzzes and weird overtones occur...a well cut piece of foam inserted under strings by the tailpiece works wonders

cheers

User Info Menu

Wedge a 1/2" rubber grommet between each pair of strings. They look OK and are low cost.

User Info Menu

I use a thin piece of leather/suede. Like a piece of leather fringe. Weave it thru the strings. Get a color that compliments the guitar (or one that is less noticeable).

User Info Menu

I did the same with a strip of felt. I used just enough to kill the metallic "ting" but to keep the slight reverb effect of sympathetic vibrations.

User Info Menu

I just fold a polish cloth into a small square and insert under the strings at the bridge.

User Info Menu

A piece of ribbon from my bride's sewing stash.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I've been using black velcro, cut to the right size for a long time, still like this solution.

How to Mute Tailpiece Strings?-753816f8ec2737e3de925a60fb2316cb-jpg
    How to Mute Tailpiece Strings?-trio-jpg

User Info Menu

+1 on the Velcro idea.

User Info Menu

I've used Velcro, and I've used a strip of rubber cut from a vacuum cleaner belt, scrunchies, and other stuff. The grommets work, if you can find them at a reasonable price, which I couldn't. I've also used many of these ideas on the strings behind the nut, and even on the strings themselves between the first fret and the nut. They all work, more or less, but all are a PITA in some situations. My final solution was to just ignore everything and play the guitar as it is. For me, that works the best. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Foam earplugs work well both for the headstock and the tailpiece areas. I've also used felt, cork, and leather. Any thing cheap, removable, and non-reactive wrt finish.

User Info Menu

Only had the problem a couple of times.

I've cut the plastic insulation off thin electrical wire and put that over the offending string near the tailpiece.
    Very discrete and works well.

On the B string in this photo.

Last edited by Burrellesque; 06-20-2017 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've used Velcro, and I've used a strip of rubber cut from a vacuum cleaner belt, scrunchies, and other stuff. The grommets work, if you can find them at a reasonable price, which I couldn't. I've also used many of these ideas on the strings behind the nut, and even on the strings themselves between the first fret and the nut. They all work, more or less, but all are a PITA in some situations. My final solution was to just ignore everything and play the guitar as it is. For me, that works the best. YMMV.
    Well, I can tell you a single piece/strip of leather, felt, or rubber is certainly not a "PITA". Takes all of 10 seconds. Re-stringing a Bigsby, now THAT'S a PITA....

User Info Menu

Any piece of cord, shoe lace etc....

How to Mute Tailpiece Strings?-guitarlace-jpg

User Info Menu

you only need once across the strings, lol. But hey- if you enjoy crocheting, go for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    you only need once across the strings, lol. But hey- if you enjoy crocheting, go for it!
    I know, I know, but you got to do it with some style... (actually I don't do it anymore as I don't ever hear a difference through the amp)

User Info Menu

Lot's of good suggestions here but I have a question for the OP.

I don't mean to sound snarky but I'm genuinely curious to learn why you feel that it's a problem.
    I mean, does it come through the amp or is there something else going on?

I ask because I have a hollow body guitar with a trapeze tailpiece and had noticed the same thing.
    After some time examining the phenomenon and trying different muting methods (gaff tape, string, etc. which all worked just fine to mute those strings) I came to the conclusion that it actually wasn't a real problem and have simply left it alone.
    In my case I couldn't hear it through the amp and if anything, I felt it was nevertheless somehow part of the resonant character of the instrument. This is just my subjective opinion but the guitar seemed to loose something when those strings were muted. It lost some of that hollow-body-ness if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm just wondering more about what your experience is.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

It didn't come through the amp but when I practice, it is at night for at least three hours of not more and I don't want to wake up my daughter or disturb my neighbors. I wouldn't mind sympathetic ringing from notes that are in tune but the two that ring loudly on the 175 are slightly out of tune and it really bugs me. Playing it out I don't notice it but during practice it interferes with the overtones I am hearing from the notes I am playing - the worst one rings an octave higher minus a few cents.

Thanks for all of the advice - it is interesting to see the various solutions. For now, I have a string cleaner that I never use that clamps a pice of fabric down on the strings between two pieces of plastic and I have clamped it down there to stop the ringing. I am going to take the guitar in for fret work and find a more permanent solution after getting it back.

User Info Menu

The reason why i mute these unwanted ringing sounds is simple. They are disturbing me. They usually don't match the sound produced by the fretted notes and it just irritates me to hear it. I usually don't play loud, even when amplified, so they are an audible distraction in my ears.

Years ago i saw Tal Farlow on a gig using a piece of foam material under the tailpiece, obviously for the same reason. So i guess for some of us it really IS disturbing.

User Info Menu

You could use a strip of felt from a craft store. Hey! You could try different colors. Red, green, blue, etc. Red probably dampens the strings the best, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote

Years ago i saw Tal Farlow on a gig using a piece of foam material under the tailpiece...

exactly!!..(as i wrote ^) a thin precisely cut piece of foam along the underside of the tailpiece...right under where the strings attach is the perfect solution...ie stops the overtones and is semi-hidden

tal knew!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I used this method too for a few years, but it disturbed me, when changing strings on my blonde L5 i had to discover that the area under the foam stayed in the original color, while the rest of the top got darker and darker. This had happened also on the sunburst L5 before, but not as disturbing. After i started using the velcro method, the lighter area darkened continuously and now i don't notice any difference anymore.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 06-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.

User Info Menu

We can see a piece of foam or folded flannel on the stolen prototype here:

User Info Menu

Foam and probably velcro outgas and rot. Nonadhesive felt seems safer.