The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

More info and photos to follow....

I think they look good together

SaveSave
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 09-02-2017 at 07:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, they look perfect. What a combination. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    Nice, given your handle, are you going to get a Dearmond for the L7 like Burrell's 60's D'angelico setup? That would give you roughly the same gear as Burrell for both the 50's and 60's. Then you just need to get a Super 400 with humbuckers and you'll have the full set.
    Yes I think a Rhythm Chief is probably on the cards, but I'm really enjoying the L-7 just as is. Restrung it earlier and sorted the intonation.... very happy

SaveSave

User Info Menu

In my experience things from 1961 tend to have persistent back and neck issues, and that's after all the hair falls out!
    That's a pair that would beat a full house, enjoy.

User Info Menu

all you need ... well, you don't *really* need the cutaways and bridge pickup:

'60s Gibson L-7C-wp_20170616_001-jpg

User Info Menu

Those early 60's L-7's are superb guitars. Congrats. And IMO, nothing beats a vintage DeArmond on an acoustic archtop.

User Info Menu

I love L7C's! That is a really one too.

My L7c was a tremendously good guitar. I wish I still had it. I would have put medium Jumbo frets on it and then it probably would have been my favorite guitar.

Lots of luck. Thanks for sharing.

Joe D.

SaveSave
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 09-02-2017 at 07:10 AM.

SaveSave
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 09-02-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Pretty sure tuners aren't original. The nut is pretty crazy, will sort that out soon I think.

Not sure about the pickguard? Don't think its Gibson or original.

I think it had some overspray many years ago, but I don't think it's been refinished. It's very dark on back and sides compared to some I've seen. Back has nice figure in the right light though.

A fair bit of checking. Not a scratch, chip or dent anywhere.
    Sounds and plays beautifully!
    Last edited by Burrellesque; 09-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar. It looks like an "acorn" nut on the pickguard bracket. Gibson didn't use acorns, so that appears to be a replacement. Not a big deal, but I would try to search out an old Gibson bracket if it was mine.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Pickguardian sells the correct bracket with proper nut for a very reasonable price: Gibson-Style ES-335/175 Complete Bracket Assembly | Pickguardian

User Info Menu

The pickguard is definitely after-market. Gibson used a 3-ply pickguard for their L-7C's. Again, Pickguardian is probably the best place to get a replacement. Reasonable prices, and he makes the pickguard to the specific measurements of your guitar.

-Travis

I have an Allparts pickguard here that I will use for the DeArmond 1100 mount and pots. Probably will need to be notched out slightly so I don't mind doing that to a repro.

I will check out Pickguardian for bracket. Are their pickguards of better quality than the Allparts versions?

User Info Menu

Tony at Pickguardian is making me a pickguard for my L-7C right now. He had me take measurements of the side hole on the neck in order to get the pickguard to sit properly. Also, the mass-produced ones are not always the correct bevel - Tony makes an accurate 30 degree bevel on his pickguards.

Think I will look at getting a more correct L-7C pickguard from Pickguardian down the track. This Allparts one should be fine for mounting pickup, jack and controls on.

User Info Menu

I just pulled the trigger on this guitar last night:

Gibson L-7C 1967 Sunburst with Original Hardshell Case | Reverb

A little backstory. I started a combo last year with my wife on upright bass playing gypsy jazz, trad jazz and Prohibition era swing. I bought a Gibson L4-C for that group about a year ago and I like it, but the neck is bigger than I'm comfortable with. Years ago I had a Gibson ES-125TDC that I really loved. The neck had been broken and replaced with a Gibson blank so it looked correct but no serial number. I'm guessing that neck must have been from the late 60s because it was incredibly thin and so easy to play.

I've always been a sucker for thin necks, but it's really hard to find an archtop with one so I'm taking a huge chance on this guitar. But I've wanted an all solid carved archie with a thin neck and this is the first one I've found that seems to fit the bill. If I like it I'll post my L-4 for sale here. I put a lot of money into last year, it's a real player.

I'll get the L-7 next Tuesday and will post my impressions (and maybe a video) soon after. Fun.

User Info Menu

That's certainly a sweet looking instrument, and the neck looks sufficiently narrow. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

I saw that one during my recent Reverb travels, and it looks great! But I’m especially impressed that your wife plays upright bass. Now that’s something I would be thrilled about! Good luck with the guitar. Look forward to hearing about it.

User Info Menu

Looks great, I hope you love it! I've got an old one with a DeArmond rhythm chief, it plays great and sounds amazing!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the beautiful new Gibson, I too have an L7C acoustic that now has a floating pickup, and can definitely say it will sound great.
    Imperial tuners in nickel look good, I do think an endpin jack would have been better than making a hole in the side, and the strap button placement would not be first choice. But overall it's a winnner and I hope you post more on it after it arrives.

I don't think I've ever seen an L7 with bound f-holes, anyone know "when" Gibson did that?

John

User Info Menu

Very nice! I notice it has bound f holes. That is a nice touch which is not normally found on an L7. I hope the guitar is everything you are looking for. L7’s are great guitars. I have one and I love it.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    I don't think I've ever seen an L7 with bound f-holes, anyone know "when" Gibson did that?
    Gibson did not bind L-7 f-holes.
    This either a special order request, a mistake or a modification.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the well wishes guys, you folks never miss a detail do you? So I agree the strap button is in an odd place, I know a guy who does amazing woodwork at very reasonable rates. I'll call him if I decide to have it moved to the back where I'd prefer it. The Grover Imperial tuners are fun, not my preference, I like the original Kluson keys better but I'll probably just leave it.

As for the bound F-holes I'll try to get some close-ups when it arrives. That's supposed to be one of the differences between the L5 and the L7, we'll probably never know how that got there but it is an interesting detail.

I'm still a little anxious until I have this baby in my hands, but you guys are definitely making me feel more confident about the purchase. Thanks!

PS My wife and I went to Frank Vignola's gypsy jazz camp last summer (awesome experience, worth every penny). Just before one of the evening performances I was walking past a group of my fellow students and heard one fellow announce, "that's the smartest guy here, he married a bass player!" I got a good chuckle from that.

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful L-7. Bet the binding/f-holes was a special request. Gibson did stuff like that with some frequency through the 1960s.