The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried this before?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see no point in trying this. If the strings are dull, they should have been replaced. No use in save a penny loose a dime.

User Info Menu

the best & easiset way to clean your strings is with isopropyl alcohol pads...that removes the grime..but there's no way to repair the kinks, notches and gaps that physically affect the wraps....

keep'em clean but change'm often

Bring your strings back to life-alcohol_pads_2_ply_medium-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

^
    this.
    I keep a small bottle of iso in the gig bag and wipe them down w/that.
    removes some of the grime and corrosion.

User Info Menu

wm-
    try the pads...cheap..available..super convenient... and you can keep a few in your case w/o the danger of spilling..they last years unopened..and you really only need one to clean up your strings nicely..so a box (cheap) will last a long time...even if you have 10 guitars!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I use the isopropyl wipes or a little on a paper towel. Works great, especially on flats.
    Also a great way to get some extra life out of your windshield wipers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    wm-
    try the pads...cheap..available..super convenient... and you can keep a few in your case w/o the danger of spilling..they last years unopened..and you really only need one to clean up your strings nicely..so a box (cheap) will last a long time...even if you have 10 guitars!! haha

cheers
    do the pads squeak loudly when wiping down the strings?
    a problem w/a rag and alcohol.

User Info Menu

yep..the squeakier, the cleaner..haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Sorry I can't stream that video at work, but I agree with the isopropyl. I had some TI strings with mild oxidation/tarnish after just a couple of weeks and cleaned them with alcohol wipes, then applied mineral oil (Fast Fret). That seemed to do the trick, and now they've been fine for a couple of months.

I *rarely* change strings, but if the strings have bad tarnish (i.e., rust) or sound flat, nothing will fix them.

I have read here and there about people who take the strings off and boil them, but that's more trouble than it's worth. Once strings get kinked at the post it's a royal pain to take them off and put them back on, and kinda dangerous with the sharp ends flicking around.

User Info Menu

Couldn't stand the video more than 30 seconds ! Poor guy !

On the same kind of question, does anybody here has a trick to keep my car's tyres alive after 50 000 km ?

Seriously, when you think about it, what's the cost of a string set when you've played it for some (weeks, months, years) ?

User Info Menu

339-
    detour...keep your tires at the recommended air pressure spec..anytime you travel too high or low of that psi spec..you are diminishing tread life

of course that doesn't factor in a well placed nail!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I must be in the minority. I change strings about every 2-3 weeks. Because of the ever escalating price of TI strings, I now change the treble strings every 2-3 weeks and the bass string on the second treble change. This is on a guitar I play every day for 2-3 hours. I don't have a tarnish problem I have a denting (less so), losing intonation problem before I ever have a tarnish problem.

And unfortunately, I clicked on that Youtube video so now that Grove character shows up in my recommended videos. Yes I have seen him before. If one had to argue the downside of YouTube and the WWW, one could use him as an example.

User Info Menu

Those pads are a great idea!!! I usually use windex and a folded paper towel (which also works great).

But I don't do it often- only when strings are "old" due to "time"- not PLAY time, just time hanging on the wall. On the guitars I play the most, the strings stay clean because I play them. When the strings won't stay in tune anymore, I change them.

But I'll put a new set of strings on a guitar I might not touch for weeks. In that case, depending on the season, the strings will corrode a bit without even being touched, probably due to humidity. I won't change those strings, I'll clean them- because they have little or no "miles" on them.

It's weird, way back in my early days (16-25 yrs old), I would corrode strings at an alarming rate, must have been my chemistry.... which must have changed, because I haven't had that problem in a long while.

User Info Menu

When I'm living in the bass world I will use the OLD school method of boiling the strings. Take em off coil them up and drop into some boiling water for a few minutes. Remove wipe down and let cool down. Cleans them and the heat brings some life back to them.

I would say in general helps to wipe your strings down after the gig to get the finger oil off that is causing the problem.

User Info Menu

Ugh, why would I want perfectly good strings to sound "new" again?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ugh, why would I want perfectly good strings to sound "new" again?
    Oh man, couldn't agree more with this!!!! Brand new strings S-U-C-K !!!! Have to be broken in.

I only do the windex trick when they are rough enough that you notice it when sliding, but not old enough to change lol. But broken-in strings are WHERE IT'S AT!

New strings before every gig??? NO WAY!!

User Info Menu

"broken in" is different than grimey!!...

keep'em clean...

just the tension and oxidation breaks in a string..leftover grime is not needed...and will make the "broken in" tone you like, disappear that much quicker

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    It's weird, way back in my early days (16-25 yrs old), I would corrode strings at an alarming rate, must have been my chemistry.... which must have changed, because I haven't had that problem in a long while.
    I thought I was the only one! (or I was nuts)

When I was younger I'd play strings for an hour and they'd turn grey. Doesn't seem to happen like that anymore.

I'm sure it means my youth is gone...

User Info Menu

I hate new strings..... I don't like how they sound. I replace strings only when they don't properly intonate anymore. So that means replacing the high e and b every 3-4 months or so. The rest of my strings have been on there forever.......

So I guess this is waisted on me, LOL Bring your strings back to life

User Info Menu

There seems to be some confusion. Clean strings do not equal new strings. Cleaning doesn't unstretch strings. I keep my broken-in strings clean because I don't like new strings. That's the whole point. If they get too grimey and crusty, then you have to replace them...that's what we're trying to avoid.

User Info Menu

I got partially through the video and it reminded me that I had a couple of zits to pop and clean with alcohol before bed so I didn't get to see the whole thing. What did I miss?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have a guitar that I haven't changed the strings on since Jan 2015. I wipe down regularly with a string cleaner spray. Still sound absolutely fine and the tuning and intonation is stable. I want them to sound worse so I can justify changing them. A lot of my other guitars have strings that are 2+ years old as well -- no problems. I found since I ditched the pick and play fingerstyle I tend not to break strings either.