I wanted to pop back in with some opinions after spending some time with the new (to me) 175. Even though the video comparison shows that they are all similar, I do think that the 175 has something that the others don't in the sound. The three guitars in that test cost me 2000, 1600 and 700 respectively (although the lawsuit guise I have seen for less but they are rare and hard to find so I jumped on it) but 175s from the mid 2000s seem to be going for over 3000 and PM100s seem to be over 2000 so is the 175 really worth more than the others? The PM100 is one of the best playing guitars I have ever tried - just a really good and really fast neck and in real life, not on a recording, it sounds very close to the 175. And it has the killer high fret access. The D'Agostino lawsuit is a fraction of the cost of a 175 and it gets close but in real life it does not sound the same as the 175 but gets a totally useable jazz guitar laminate sound.

The 175 in real life sounds meatier, is still a very good player and is iconic (for what that's worth). If I had to choose only one of the three guitars I would choose the PM100, though I'm glad I don't have to choose because I like the 175 equally. Is it worth it though? For a good deal, definitely if it is a good one. For full price? If you will use it and it will inspire you then yes. A 165 instead is more appealing if a 175 can't be found for a deal but for me I actually want the bridge pickup since the PM100s doesn't have one and I will use it - not for straight ahead jazz and not often but that will be one reason I bring hat to a gig over the PM100 sometime in the future.

Really though, for a budget decision I think the original question is hard to answer still. Yes other guitars will get close but if you want a 175 sound, are you happy with close enough? If so then by all means save some money, get a great player and play it. If you will pine for the real thing though and listen to recordings of 175s wishing you could get that sound then I think it is worth getting because it sucks to hear a sound you want in your head and not be able to get it. And of course a lot of that is mental - "if I only had x guitar I would be able to do what I want". That is true to some extent but it is also a dangerous thing to chase too much when the end result is about making good music and having a satisfying and creative musical life with your instrument(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro