The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Anyone try of these? (Or any in this series, the 700, 900, 1200...) I'm looking to reduce a couple of electric nylons down to one. But I am wary about the tone on a 14 fret nylon. And what is the neck like? I am looking for a thinner crossover neck, rather than the big flat 2" classical neck. And less importantly, is the binding wood or plastic? I can't tell from pictures. TIA.

Yamaha NTX900FM nylon opinions?-yamahantx900-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You might want to consider the Martin nylon cross over. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    you might want to consider the martin nylon cross over. Just a thought.
    000c ?
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-14-2017 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, that is the one that I have. I guess that I was lucky because I got it for $1000 USD from someone that never played it. All solid woods and nicer electronics integration than the Yamahas IMHO. 1-7/8" nut width, richlite fingerboard, 26.44" scale length. I can see that Martin now lists it at $2,499 and talks about sustainable woods. It is the same one that I have, but was listed for about $2,000 and they weren't mentioning sustainable woods when I got mine a few years back. I went through Ebay which is not for everyone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Yeah, that is the one that I have. I guess that I was lucky because I got it for $1000 USD from someone that never played it.
    You sure were!

User Info Menu

Woody Sound,
    i had one and I miss it. If you buy one, there is an absolutely mandatory modification you will have to make that will transform the guitar into an EXCELLENT player. These guitars come with absurdly narrow string spacing. Have a new nut and bridge saddle made for it and you will add 3/16" of necessary string spacing. I don't have large hands and this guitar was unplayable in its stock configuration.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Woody Sound,
    i had one and I miss it. If you buy one, there is an absolutely mandatory modification you will have to make that will transform the guitar into an EXCELLENT player. These guitars come with absurdly narrow string spacing. Have a new nut and bridge saddle made for it and you will add 3/16" of necessary string spacing. I don't have large hands and this guitar was unplayable in its stock configuration.

Joe D
    Who's twiddling their toes in the back?

User Info Menu

I've got an NTX700, changed the string spacing at the nut, and really enjoy it plugged in. Unamplified, it's not as satisfying as a true classical, but I didn't expect it to be. If you search this forum for "NTX" you'll find some good discussions.

User Info Menu

I have an NTX700 also, it is probably the guitar i did the most jobs with (hotels, etc ..) for five years now.
    So reliable ...

Very comfortable neck (1.889"/48mm nut, unlike the bigger, more classical NTX900), slightly radiused, nice sober esthetics, and a pickup that is NOT an undersaddle horror, but a pair of contact pickups, which means that if you tap the body (or make it squeak ^ ^) it will be picked up.
    Contrary to KirkP, i changed the strings spacing at the bridge, to a more acoustic guitar like 55mm, roughly.
    IIRC i think it was more something like 52mm.

As said above, a fairly OK acoustic sound but nothing really sexy.
    On the other hand, i never had a feedback problem.
    Solid spruce top, mahogany (nato?) body and neck.

Tuner, efficient enough treble/mid/bass eq, and a balance between the two pickups.

A working man's guitar, when you have to be smooth and mellow and where (unfortunately) a nice warm electric jazz guitar is not accepted, for whatever reason it is.

I love mine and would definitely buy one again if it were to disappear.
    Reasonable used price, like 350 bucks here in Japan.

User Info Menu

Oh, and regarding the OP's question about binding, yes it is wood, and this guitar is actually very pretty and elegant, much nicer in real life than on the photos.

And the neck definitely can be called a crossover neck, imo.

Woody Sound,

Joe D
    VERY nice Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Contrary to KirkP, i changed the strings spacing at the bridge, to a more acoustic guitar like 55mm, roughly.
    IIRC i think it was more something like 52mm.
    How the heck did you do that? Fill the holes and drill new ones?

Very comfortable neck (1.889"/48mm nut, unlike the bigger, more classical NTX900), slightly radiused,
    I thought all the NTX line has the same neck?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    VERY nice Joe!
    Thanks WoodySound!

User Info Menu

Woody Sound,

Joe D
    Joe, great piece and great playing ! Did you add some stuff or is it 100% Johnny Smith's arrangement ?
    Sounds a bit medieval and it reminds me of some miniatures by Darius Milhaud.
    Makes me wanna learn it !

User Info Menu

How the heck did you do that? Fill the holes and drill new ones?
    Ah ! Yes, , i forgot to write that i mage small notches on the saddle.

Filling the holes with tainted epoxy and drill new ones sure would have been classier, lol.

User Info Menu

Ah ! Yes, , i forgot to write that i mage small notches on the saddle.

Filling the holes with tainted epoxy and drill new ones sure would have been classier, lol.
    I've never heard of notching the saddle to widen the string spacing on a nylon string. Seems like the notching hack could result in some playability or tone issues.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I thought all the NTX line has the same neck?
    I also think all NTX models have the same neck dimensions. It's the NCX line that has the classical neck.
    NX Series - Overview - Yamaha - United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I've never heard of notching the saddle to widen the string spacing on a nylon string. Seems like the notching hack could result in some playability or tone issues.
    Well, it seems to work, at least to my hands and ears.

Sample sound from my NTX700. Not the coolest jazz, but a XMas demo (!), eh !
    Well, at least you'll have an idea about the sound.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by xuoham; 06-16-2017 at 12:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I also think all NTX models have the same neck dimensions. It's the NCX line that has the classical neck.
    NX Series - Overview - Yamaha - United States
    Ooops, yes sorry for the misinformation ! I recently tried a friends NCX 900, that's why ! (fired...)
    Last edited by xuoham; 06-16-2017 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Here are some details on widening the string spacing at the nut of an NTX.
    Nut width and string spacing on Yamaha NTX guitars. Classical Guitar Articles. Classical Guitars PLUS.
    The original string spacing at the nut cramped my left hand. After replacing the nut my NTX-700 has become the guitar I pick up the most when I want to play solo in the living room. The pickup and EQ system is excellent. The guitar is designed to sound its best plugged in, so I usually do even at home.
    Last edited by KirkP; 06-16-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Well, it seems to work, at least to my hands and ears.

Sample sound from my NTX700. Not the coolest jazz, but a XMas demo (!), eh !
    Well, at least you'll have an idea about the sound.
    Hey that's very pretty.

User Info Menu

I own the NTX 1200R and it is a great guitar amplified. I also modified the nut based on the website KirkP posted. Made a world of difference with regard to playability. I also changed out the saddle with a bone saddle but didn't notice much if any difference over the stock saddle. There is at least one my NTX (I purchased it back in 2010) a huge amount of space on the stock fret board to increase the string spacing. In my opinion it is one of the best sounding amplified nylon string guitars. Without amplification it is lifeless but I expected that. If I'm going that route I would use a different guitar.

User Info Menu

I own a Yamaha APX-5NA which I bought about 10 years ago primarily to play bossa novas. I am primarily a Jazz player and I always play with a pick. I love this guitar. Even though I don't play it a lot, every time I play it, I can't put it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I've owned a 2005 Yamaha APX-10NA since buying it new and really enjoy it, especially amplified. Great for the electric player, not as competent on the much wider nut pure classical instruments.

If the NTX series is the APX replacements, I bet they are a great bang-for-buck nylon string guitar.