Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Hey that's very pretty.
    Thank you, Woody Sound !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Joe, great piece and great playing ! Did you add some stuff or is it 100% Johnny Smith's arrangement ?
    Sounds a bit medieval and it reminds me of some miniatures by Darius Milhaud.
    Makes me wanna learn it !
    Hi Xuoham, Thank you sir.
    That is Johnny's arrangement entirely. There are several nice tricks in it. Not particularly difficult just a lot of odd stuff to remember.
    Thanks again buddy!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Well, it seems to work, at least to my hands and ears.

Sample sound from my NTX700. Not the coolest jazz, but a XMas demo (!), eh !
    Well, at least you'll have an idea about the sound.
    Beautiful just beautiful!
    JD

There is a 900 (maple body) available to try locally. On a a guitar that is so oriented as an amplified guitar, would the more expensive rosewood 1200 really be any different?

User Info Menu

There is a 900 (maple body) available to try locally. On a a guitar that is so oriented as an amplified guitar, would the more expensive rosewood 1200 really be any different?
    I suspect that amplified the wood type doesn't make much difference, but I haven't compared them. I liked my 700 enough amplified to take it home. It was on sale at a great price. I'd say try out the 900 and see if it grabs you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Xuoham, Thank you sir.
    That is Johnny's arrangement entirely. There are several nice tricks in it. Not particularly difficult just a lot of odd stuff to remember.
    Thanks again buddy!
    Joe D
    Hey Joe, thank you for the kind words !

Who besides you would play Claude Debussy on this forum ?!
    Great taste!
    I have to hear more Johnny Smith ... got a bit discouraged to learn any by
    those (beautiful) finger stretches on Moonlight in Vermont.

Btw, i'm french and i heard this many times as a kid. I just didn't click right away that it
    was Debussy, just not on the piano. Embarassment ... lol
    And i thought it sounded like "La Cheminée du Roi René" by Darius Milhaud ! (you're fired ! )

User Info Menu

Thanks buddy!
    You know when you buy a new P.C., there is music downloaded onto it sometimes. That tune was one of the downloaded tunes. In Debussy form too. I listened to it a bunch of times and loved the melody. Then I heard Johnny do it so I jumped on it.

It blows me away that now in my musical life, I play pieces by DeBussy, Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Mercer, Van Huesen and Charmichael - a lot of them made special by Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. When I am tired of all the arrangements I play and I am ready to forget them, my plan is learn Rhapsody in Blue on the Guitar. I am still a ways off. But that's in my bucket. That tune is so complex, it will push everything else I know right out of the back of my head.
    Thanks again. JD

Woody, I sold my 900 to Goldenwave77 here on this site. You may want to reach out to him and see how he is getting along with it. A while back he told me he really likes it.

JD

Hey Joe, thank you for the kind words !

Who besides you would play Claude Debussy on this forum ?!
    Great taste!
    I have to hear more Johnny Smith ... got a bit discouraged to learn any by
    those (beautiful) finger stretches on Moonlight in Vermont.

Btw, i'm french and i heard this many times as a kid. I just didn't click right away that it
    was Debussy, just not on the piano. Embarassment ... lol
    And i thought it sounded like "La Cheminée du Roi René" by Darius Milhaud ! (you're fired ! )

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Here are some details on widening the string spacing at the nut of an NTX.
    Nut width and string spacing on Yamaha NTX guitars. Classical Guitar Articles. Classical Guitars PLUS.
    The original string spacing at the nut cramped my left hand. After replacing the nut my NTX-700 has become the guitar I pick up the most when I want to play solo in the living room. The pickup and EQ system is excellent. The guitar is designed to sound its best plugged in, so I usually do even at home.
    They say they widened the string spacing to 40mm. Is that center of the 2 outer slots, or the outside string edgse? Makes a difference when talking MMs. (Sorry if this is a standard thing I 'm not aware of.)
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

They say they widened the string spacing to 40mm. Is that center of the 2 outer slots, or the outside string edgse? Makes a difference when talking MMs. (Sorry if this is a standard thing I 'm not aware of.)
    I’d guess that’s a center of slot measurement. My tech took my instrument to about 40.5mm center to center.

User Info Menu

my 2cents : I've owned a 1200 ntx and share the opinion that is it a very playable, functional guitar for stage work - played acoustically it is bland, uninspiring and nothing special. However, I have since replaced it with a CORDOBA "Fusion 12" model which has a Fishman pickup/mic combo installed and the amplified sound is nicer , to my ears at least and judging from the positive comments of fellow musicians and listeners. It's cheaper, too ;-) When I practice at home or if I need a really good "classical" tone for a recording I use a handmade nylonstring by a master luthier - no compromises.