The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 190

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Aren't some of you concerned about selling your guitars at a much lower price that you paid due to the current market?
    Speaking for myself, nope. When I go, the kids can do what they wish with them. Any value will be a net gain for them. Not only did they not go without, the guitars afforded certain experiences that would otherwise have been luxuries. I have gotten my money's worth many times over with the instruments, they owe me nothing. Art is about life enrichment, which has no price tag, IMHO. Not that making a buck or ten would be bad, just a bonus.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I will enjoy my guitars now, when I am gone the wife or kids can sell them.
    I play more now retired then I did working as a session Guitarist. It is more fun playing for the love of music

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I've got about 20 guitars at the moment. There's a few things that seem to keep my collection that large. First, I'm in San Diego and it seems all the great guitar stores were killed by the Internet. I have about 6-7 that I wouldn't touch, but the others I sell is I want something new. I guess I buy guitars just to try them out for a while because I can no longer spend a day in the music store.

Second, I love to tinker. I've always liked having two of the same model so I can switch pickups, compare string brands, try flats vs. rounds, different cap values, etc.

User Info Menu

I am 68 retired, the kids are grown. Me and the wife time is now.
    I still average playing 3 hours most days. Even though I play for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Perhaps we should form an " OCD" archtop acquisition club,
    maybe titled the " Coconuts" , with firm resolve, I reduced the
    herd from 11 down to 4, mysteriously, that quantity has
    increased to 7. I think they multiply if left alone. in the
    closet. Does anyone else experience this problem?
    A friend here is now in a straitjacket preventing the fingers
    uncontrollably reaching the "buy button " on the iPad.

User Info Menu

Aren't some of you concerned about selling your guitars at a much lower price that you paid due to the current market?
    No

User Info Menu

I too have a collector gene. I try to direct it at cheaper things though. I have more than one guitar but not really a collection. Some years ago I was into old fountain pens and have quite a collection, but they were not expensive like musical instruments are. Lately I found my old slide rule in a drawer, got fascinated by it once more, and bought 7-8 old sliderules of various kinds on eBay - but they were very cheap too. I hope I can continue to let out the excess steam from my "collector dopamin" in such a controlled way. If I began collecting guitars, it could easily get out of control. Besides, my son would hate me for leaving him with a guitar collection he has no interest in and which would be hard for him to sell when I'm gone. It's much easier to drop the fountain pens and the slide rules in a garbage bin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    No
    For me, it is just unacceptable to sell the guitars that I have purchased and only get 50% or so of the value. I may have to change my thinking before it is all said and done, but I would rather give a guitar away to some charity or music school than take that economic hit.

Because of this, the guitars have accumulated over the years as I tried to cover all the various sonic territories. My musical taste is very wide and I am passionate about at least three genres of music equally, hence my having 7 different guitars.

User Info Menu

I am certainly addicted to owning a variety of guitars, but I am not a collector by nature. Unfortunately I still own 35 stringed instruments, so some might argue that assertion. I stand by my principles though - which is that I'm a voraciously curious musician who has ended up keeping a lot of stuff that he's tried out.

As the clock ticks and I begin descending the far side of life's mountain (slowly... don't worry), I am more interested in the musical improvements and focus I can achieve if I don't have a huge assortment of guitars. To quench my thirst for variety, I "need" maybe 7-8 guitars. Increase that to 10 so I can own two of my favorite types. Okay, maybe an even dozen and we'll be good.

Sadly, I am finding that I love playing nylon stringed guitars more than anything, which essentially makes 90% of my collection a musical distraction. So we'll see where this all goes.

User Info Menu

For me, it is just unacceptable to sell the guitars that I have purchased and only get 50% or so of the value. I may have to change my thinking before it is all said and done, but I would rather give a guitar away to some charity or music school than take that economic hit.

Because of this, the guitars have accumulated over the years as I tried to cover all the various sonic territories. My musical taste is very wide and I am passionate about at least three genres of music equally, hence my having 7 different guitars.
    I am not alone in having no concern of the resale value of guitars purchased
    once acquired and being satisfied with a new or used instrument it's resale
    value is of little consequence,those of us who are fortunate to be able to buy
    a top of the range instrument usually want to keep it for a good period of time.
    The joy is in owning it, perhaps something we could not afford in our youth.
    Sometimes the reverse is true and the cherished instrument can accrue in its
    value. Just my 2p

User Info Menu

Reading this thread many of the posts sound like someone talking to their psychiatrist or in the confession box with a priest. A few I can see probably have an addendum on their Will telling their wife... that gun safe in the den is actually filled with guitars, be kind to them.

Never had this problem. Not judging though - totally appreciate the art, engineering and science of guitars.
    But I learned from bicycle road racing: My biggest obstacle to going fast and climbing hills isn't the bike, it's me.
    Getting a new guitar wouldn't make me play any better.
    I've got enough on my hands with just one guitar.
    (well, actually two guitars: an Ibanez jazz box and a dreadnaught acoustic ...and a Steinberger electric travel guitar ...and the Aria semi-hollow in the basement. dammit!)

User Info Menu

I suspect for some people the addiction is in the process of acquisition more than the object itself.
    The fun is in the ride after all not always at the destination...
    While some are definitely collectors and tend to keep their instrument as investments, some others are definitely compulsive flippers.
    Last edited by vinlander; 06-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Actually I kept good guitars for many years. My DAQNY 31 years, Guild AA 35 years, Byrdland 32 years. Something happened to me around 2004. That is when I really began Mr.Toad's wild ride. Still though when I acquire something good I keep it unless I run out of room and have to have something. My wife (the house nazi) allows me 1 closet for guitar storage. It's max capacity is 11 full size archtops which is where I am at. At this point one would need to go for one to come in. I tried a outside of the closet ploy and almost got sent to the Russian front.

User Info Menu

I blame our history as a hunter-gatherer species. Nothing quite as satisfying, on a primal level, as the hunt for a guitar. And the gatherers among us will be well prepared for survival after the guitar-apocalypse when guitars, strings, picks, straps and tubes are the only currency.

(only somewhat kidding, these behaviors might not be addiction as much as expressions of our evolutionary adaptations in a time & place where we rarely have to fight for food and survival)
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 06-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I am not a collector or a hoarder but I am impulsive. I see a beautiful guitar and I pull the trigger 1st and ask questions later. I have 11 guitars and play them all but want to get down to 5. Trouble is which 6 do I off. Every time I play one I say this is my favorite. I started this post really to justify my own insanity. Trouble is I really enjoy my guitar madness except when they all need new strings.
    I didn't join this forum with the knowledge that acquiring multiple guitars held any potential for developing a guitar addiction. After acquiring 20 guitars I realized I'd become addicted. Each new guitar acquisition gave me no relief, for like you Vinny, days later I was on the hunt - again.

It's helped me to stay away from the forum for a bit - I've not purchased a guitar in 6 months. I've sold off the majority and I'm down to 5 - 3 acoustics, 1 electric, and a nylon string classical.

Congrat's on the new L5 Vinny!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Truth be told, I'd be happy with just 4... a tele, a solid body with humbuckers (I have a Godin for that), a dreadnought acoustic, and a nylon string acoustic.
    What ! No jazz box .... Huh ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I didn't join this forum with the knowledge that acquiring multiple guitars held any potential for developing a guitar addiction. After acquiring 20 guitars I realized I'd become addicted. Each new guitar acquisition gave me no relief, for like you Vinny, days later I was on the hunt - again.

It's helped me to stay away from the forum for a bit - I've not purchased a guitar in 6 months. I've sold off the majority and I'm down to 5 - 3 acoustics, 1 electric, and a nylon string classical.

Congrat's on the new L5 Vinny!
    Nice to hear from you 2bop. I, for one, do miss you around here. I have not bought a guitar in 2017 and I come here daily. It can be done. It ain't easy though....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Nice to hear from you 2bop. I, for one, do miss you around here. I have not bought a guitar in 2017 and I come here daily. It can be done. It ain't easy though....
    Yeah, 2B or not 2B, that is the question.
    Me, I prefer 2B. We need more of you buddy. And oh by the way, your L4CES still haunts me to this day. I've already blown out 2 hamstrings kicking myself in the ass over that one..

Joe D

User Info Menu

I am not really a collector. I have 14 guitars and 6 more that are being built. I do not keep any guitars that I do not play. If I haven't played a guitar for 16 to 18 months it goes up for sale.
    PS. I do the same thing with pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I think some that is regional. On West Coast you'll hear them say they are a Reed player and mean they play and probably own all the main reeds and maybe a double reed too. East Coast they tend to pick a main horn like tenor, then probably have alto and maybe soprano since those are called for a lot. it's a hassle because they hear think a pitch and finger go to a fingering, but when they switch from main sax what they hear and fingered note is different. So having multiple reeds can be a pain.

You may not see the differences, but to a horn player there are lots of differences in horns, mouthpieces, and reeds. There are student grade horns, pro level, and like guitars vintage horns. I remember back in school hanging with horn players and them talking about mod's done to horns and then wearing out pads, air leaks, and mechanical problems. Whole lot going on for horn players too.
    I played in the east for 35 years, during which time, excluding high school, I worked with just a few horn players, always either tenors or rarely, trumpets. I don't think I even knew anyone personally who played alto or clarinet; however, one of my favorite guys to work with here plays tenor, alto, soprano, clarinet, and flute with equal, and excellent skill. When I had a small group last decade he was my first-choice horn player and no matter what he chose to play at a gig, he tore it up. He subs in my big band, on either tenor or alto depending on what we need and always sounds great. Thing is, he's a snowbird from the Jersey Shore, lived there all his life and gigged constantly in NJ and NYC. Still does from May to October.

As for the second part, I guess I needed to put in a few more smiley faces. Remember, I know a guy with sixty trumpets :-)

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    But that's what I was saying in terms of horn players. Most own at least one of each reed. It's not like owning 12 of the same. You might have someone who owns two tenors. Or two flutes, but not often. That's more like us owning an acoustic, electric, uke, Lute, baritone guitar, tenor guitar, 12 string, banjo, mandolin, nylon, zither, viola, violin, gambon.

One of our sax players owns six Selmer Mark VI's. He has a long bow, short bow, medium bow and some other variants--he's told me, but I don't remember. Good thing it's not a Mark XX.

One common misconception I hear from guitar players who don't hang with horns is that somehow we're more equipment obsessed. The guys in our front line are constantly debating reeds, setups, repair guys, models, and minutia. Last night while waiting for the downbeat two of them were debating the F# key (on the sax, not the one with a key signature) and whether it was good thing or not. Meanwhile, none of them ever notice the beautiful curl on my tangerineburst L-5CES Signature.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Well I've always hung out with horn players more than guitar players. I don't play with guitar players that much. But I've ALWAYS played with a lot of horn players. Most certainly are gear obsessed. But I don't know too many who own many multiples of the same horn. As I said, of the guys I know two or three tops of the SAME axe. But these working musicians just don't have that kind of money. But they definitely have clarinets, bass clarinet, soprano, sopranino, alto, tenor, bari, oboe, English horn. Etc. but you know, everybody is different. Always exceptions.

User Info Menu

The thing about guitars, IMO, is that you can tell a 175 from an L-5 from 40 feet away. A Selmer or a Conn, or a Strad or an Amati? Not so much. Electrified guitars are comparatively young instruments and have yet to reach a stable general form. And given the disconnect between form and function made possible by said electrification, and the commercial possibilities of visual distinctiveness, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Here's to variety, and the pursuit of happiness!

User Info Menu

I don't need all the guitars I have. Compared to many guitar players, I don't have many guitars.
    A good archtop acoustic, solid body, and archtop electric are really all I'd ever need for the situations I encounter and for the music I like.

Part of it is working out what types of instrument work for me; I used to scoff at Telecasters for example, it wasn't until I tried one I realized how good a guitar they are. Similarly I bought a Greco ES-175 copy of which I hardly play, the humbucker/laminate sound just isn't for me; I prefer my Gretsch G400 Synchromatic with the floating CC pickup by far.

So I'll probably sell the Greco.

What I really want next is a good carved top acoustic- thinking an Epi Triumph, they still are reasonably priced. Gibson L7s etc. are just too far out of my price range, and from what I've heard the Epi might be the better bet for what I play (big band rhythm).

I also have an old Hofner Senator that I really like, however it never gets played- but I know that if I got rid of it I would miss it straight away.

Ergggh!

User Info Menu

Consumerism. Thanks to the Internet and all the other media, you know, shiny pictures, seductive videos, the "elusive tone we're all chasing" and "this is the guitar that will raise me to stardom". Currently I have three electric guitars, and one acoustic, my first one. Two of the electrics are already in the local ads. A new stage in my life where I feel that less objects that I'm tied to, the better. I heard Mike Stern once talking about how he practiced in his basement apartment, and talking about his guitar, he said something like: Well I like other guitars too, jazz boxes and all, but I had this, and I said to myself, well this is what I have and this is what I am going to play.