The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 86

User Info Menu

Yeah, rolling the tone back helps or adjusting the highs on the amp. The highs on the Mustang can be very pronounced with some of the amp models and it isn't an issue on the Bud, or the Polytone or any other amps I have really. The fret issues were odd because the fretwork below the 12th fret was impeccable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ha, after returning my Epi Broadway I bought the 151 SRR --(also known as "lipstick red") will pick up at GC tomorrow!

I have a PM2 and after talking with Ibanez, they too say the neck has a bit more body than the PM2.

I ran out of patience returning the EPI's due to QC issues...... so off the Ibanez again with the great quality they maintain....at least in my experience.....

looking forward to this one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Yeah, rolling the tone back helps or adjusting the highs on the amp. The highs on the Mustang can be very pronounced with some of the amp models and it isn't an issue on the Bud, or the Polytone or any other amps I have really. The fret issues were odd because the fretwork below the 12th fret was impeccable.

How is your bridge fit? My only complaint with the guitar I received was the ill-fitting bridge. It was horribly over cut resulting in just the end of the base touching the guitar's top on the bass side. The treble side was not flat and thus also made minimal contact. Even then, the acoustic tone was pretty good. I know some folks will think me a heretic, but I opted for a full-contact ebony bridge and spent the time to shape it for a perfect fit. The result is fantastic acoustic tone. Rich, full and very organic. At this point, I'm wondering about a KA handwound floater, CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack just to make it bulletproof. I love it enough that I think it worth these upgrades. But for now, I'm good. The bridge breathed so much life into what was already a great guitar.

Wondering if your neck has a hump at the body joint--many of the non-Japanese Ibby's of late seem to have issues above the 10th or so fret... I'm glad you were able to resolve that issue. I agree that, overall, the fretwork is very good. Keep us posted!
    Last edited by rolijen; 06-27-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Ha, after returning my Epi Broadway I bought the 151 SRR --(also known as "lipstick red") will pick up at GC tomorrow!

I have a PM2 and after talking with Ibanez, they too say the neck has a bit more body than the PM2.

I ran out of patience returning the EPI's due to QC issues...... so off the Ibanez again with the great quality they maintain....at least in my experience.....

looking forward to this one!
    Congrats and I hope you are moderately surprised by the color in person. I worried about having a fire-engine red guitar. But mine is actually quite stunning. I really have taken to it. The grain shows through really well and it just works. Good luck!

User Info Menu

I'd put cream binding on that ....
    hot cool guitar ! Nice

User Info Menu

Well, I just visited the Ibanez site and it looks like they've added a new model to the lineup--the AFC95 in a natural finish. It looks nice. Clearly listening to customer feedback. Hollow Bodies Contemporary Archtop - AFC95 | Ibanez guitars

User Info Menu

The AFC95 is a two-pickup model and has a non-gloss tailpiece and finger rest. It looks awesome. I can't see any pricing online yet, but if its on par with the two-pickup AFC155, it'll be $999 US. This will give the GB models a run for the money...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    How is your bridge fit? My only complaint with the guitar I received was the ill-fitting bridge. It was horribly over cut resulting in just the end of the base touching the guitar's top on the bass side. The treble side was not flat and thus also made minimal contact. Even then, the acoustic tone was pretty good. I know some folks will think me a heretic, but I opted for a full-contact ebony bridge and spent the time to shape it for a perfect fit. The result is fantastic acoustic tone. Rich, full and very organic. At this point, I'm wondering about a KA handwound floater, CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack just to make it bulletproof. I love it enough that I think it worth these upgrades. But for now, I'm good. The bridge breathed so much life into what was already a great guitar.

Wondering if your neck has a hump at the body joint--many of the non-Japanese Ibby's of late seem to have issues above the 10th or so fret... I'm glad you were able to resolve that issue. I agree that, overall, the fretwork is very good. Keep us posted!
    I remember reading about the bridge problem but mine was done well - it is flush against the guitar with now gaps. I like the pickup and I'm going to keep it for now to get used to it but I am already thinking ahead about a possible replacement. I love the Kent Armstrong hand wound floating PAF (the one with the 12 pole pieces) and I think it would look really good on the guitar too. I don't play my Eastman much amplified anymore so I might take it off and do that eventually. It doesn't mount on the neck though...

I do miss having adjustable pole pieces. The balance is pretty good but I wish I could lower the E and B and raise the G and D a little bit.

User Info Menu

Ibanez just built my guitar in the AFC95. Anyone want to buy an AS153 in excellent condition?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruberface
    Ibanez just built my guitar in the AFC95. Anyone want to buy an AS153 in excellent condition?
    First sighting of a AFC95 on Sweetwater's website. Available for preorder. Don't know if it's a mistake or not, but the price looks really low. If I didn't already have a the AFC151, I'd be all over this.

User Info Menu

First sighting of a AFC95 on Sweetwater's website. Available for preorder. Don't know if it's a mistake or not, but the price looks really low. If I didn't already have a the AFC151, I'd be all over this.
    I wonder why it is so much cheaper than the other ones. No one likes feeling like they spent too much money I assume and I don't really like having spent 300 dollars for one less pickup and red finish. I really like the guitar - don't get me wrong - but I don't like overspending.

User Info Menu

I wonder why it is so much cheaper than the other ones. No one likes feeling like they spent too much money I assume and I don't really like having spent 300 dollars for one less pickup and red finish. I really like the guitar - don't get me wrong - but I don't like overspending.

I feel the same as you. This Sweetwater deal appears to be sans case. That helps me feel a tiny bit better. But still... Maybe it's a test to generate interest while they await stock?

User Info Menu

Judging from the normal Ibanez numbering system a 95 model will be less well appointed than a 155 model independent of whether it is a AFC or and AF model. The main difference in this case seems to be that the AFC 95 has acrylic inlays whereas the 155 has mother of pearl inlays and the Artstar fret edge treatment.

User Info Menu

"Judging from the normal Ibanez numbering system a 95 model will be less well appointed than a 155 model independent of whether it is a AFC or and AF model. The main difference in this case seems to be that the AFC 95 has acrylic inlays whereas the 155 has mother of pearl inlays and the Artstar fret edge treatment."

Agree with above, + I couldn't go back to flat-matted finished again--as both are... natural flat and violin flat.

Looks like about the same quality as the other $699.00 ones I've seen @ GC so I think the AFC 151 red -- is of a higher quality and includes the case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    "Judging from the normal Ibanez numbering system a 95 model will be less well appointed than a 155 model independent of whether it is a AFC or and AF model. The main difference in this case seems to be that the AFC 95 has acrylic inlays whereas the 155 has mother of pearl inlays and the Artstar fret edge treatment."

Agree with above, + I couldn't go back to flat-matted finished again--as both are... natural flat and violin flat.

Looks like about the same quality as the other $699.00 ones I've seen @ GC so I think the AFC 151 red -- is of a higher quality and includes the case.
    I think you are likely correct. However, the Sweetwater site states:

"Ibanez has given the AFC95's frets some extra TLC in the form of their Artstar fret edge treatment. Near the binding, the frets' shoulders are rounded off, and their ends are tamed down a bit, resulting in a bullet-shaped terminus that makes soloing a treat. This is a level of care not usually found in guitars at this price point, and it makes all the difference in playing comfort."

Which makes me wonder.

Regardless, I am enjoying my red AFC151. A lot!

User Info Menu

Well, I just visited the Ibanez site and it looks like they've added a new model to the lineup--the AFC95 in a natural finish. It looks nice. Clearly listening to customer feedback. Hollow Bodies Contemporary Archtop - AFC95 | Ibanez guitars
    I really like AFC151. I just wish it wasn't red. My wife will notice red...

Whenever she looks at a guitar with that funny gleam in her eye, she asks, "Another guitar?"

I can usually get away with, "What? This old thing? No, I just polished it!"

I don't think I can convince her I refinished one.

User Info Menu

I've always liked Ibanez frets. Even their low-line models are heads-and-shoulders above, say, Gibson Specials -- not that that's a high hurdle.

User Info Menu

I just get, "why do you need more than one?"
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 07-14-2017 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Very cool, I think the natural coloration will appeal to more the traditionalist players. I like it, especially for $699 at Sweetwater.

User Info Menu

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention, she can count. It's mostly one in, one out. But the gig bags lying around muddy the waters a bit.

I actually have some extra cases in storage. I sometimes bring them out to "clean them," just to keep the total number in flux.

I can get away with it one at a time, but there is a cumulative effect that's hard to explain away. "5 years ago, you it down to two guitars, now you have 5 guitars and 8 cases, yet you never admit to buying any."

My wife is a dear and the best, but guitars are not her thing. Being a Chinese immigrant may have something to do with it. Different values. In all the years I've known her, she asked me to play for her just once, in the beginning. I managed to hold her attention for a good two minutes! She then said, "very good," and never gave the guitar another thought except for how they clutter up the bedroom.

If you ever heard the crappy music they call Chinese pop, it may be more understandable...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the discussion - I put in an order for an AFC151 yesterday, encouraged by the comments on this thread. NGD photos forthcoming :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Great choice!

Had mine for a while and it is a keeper!

Congrats!

User Info Menu

I remember reading about the bridge problem but mine was done well - it is flush against the guitar with now gaps. I like the pickup and I'm going to keep it for now to get used to it but I am already thinking ahead about a possible replacement. I love the Kent Armstrong hand wound floating PAF (the one with the 12 pole pieces) and I think it would look really good on the guitar too. I don't play my Eastman much amplified anymore so I might take it off and do that eventually. It doesn't mount on the neck though...

I do miss having adjustable pole pieces. The balance is pretty good but I wish I could lower the E and B and raise the G and D a little bit.

Rio, is the Kent Armstrong pickup you mention a full size humbucker? I see it attaches to the pickguard. Is there a neck mount version?

User Info Menu

I haven't seen any neck mount versions. I wonder, though, if it could be ordered with a neck mount. I haven't seen any resin pickups (I think that is what the black material is on these, similar to on Benedetto pickups) with neck mounts so maybe that is an issue. The size of the mount and angle of it though seem to be perfect for the guitar.

User Info Menu

Hello,

I recently purchased the Ibanez AFC 151 and encountered the same problem: the bridge does not fit the body of the archtop and has a gap.

It looks like you custom fitted a new ebony bridge but kept the original saddle. How did you do it? Alternatively, how do I reshape the current bridge, if possible?

Thank you for your assistance.