The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

A recent thread about Pyramid strings got me interested in the Pyramid Gold 013/017/024/033/042/052 set. Before deciding on which guitar i want to try them out i'd like to know how they compare to the TI Swing 013/053 set tonewise.

- Are they darker or brighter than the TI?
    - Louder?
    - More or less brilliant?

any other observations in comparing them?

thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I tried Pyramids very briefly several years go. There seemed to be a noticeable increase in tension over the TI's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I tried Pyramids very briefly several years go. There seemed to be a noticeable increase in tension over the TI's.
    TI reduces their set tension by using thinner 3rd & 4th strings.....

Nickel vs Nickel vs St Steel - - -

JS TI's, Pyr. Gold, Chromes

12 / 50 12/52 12/52

140.0# 145.5# 155.2#

13/53 13 / 52 13 / 56

156 # 155.4 # 183.8 #

Hope that helps.....
    Last edited by Dennis D; 06-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I thought the Pyramids were darker sounding than the TIs. I seem to recall there are older threads here that talk about the Pyramid strings. I recall you have to be careful when ordering Pyramid flats as I believe they make both round core and hex core. I would agree on the earlier comment re tension.

User Info Menu

Pyramid stopped making hex core flats a while back. Just round core now. They have a rougher feel and less sustain than TI's.
    TI's are simply the best flatwound on the market. They also last longer than Pyramids. I still like Pyramid better than Chromes though. I prefer nickel over stainless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Pyramid stopped making hex core flats a while back. Just round core now. They have a rougher feel and less sustain than TI's.
    TI's are simply the best flatwound on the market. They also last longer than Pyramids. I still like Pyramid better than Chromes though. I prefer nickel over stainless.

....I remember another thread here ( TI vs Chromes ) about nickel vs stainless that any stainless would be more ' chimey ' than nickel........

......do you agree and is this the most-often heard complaint about Chromes ?

Thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Interesting, Strings by Mail still has the hex core in stock. (per the web site) Pyramid Gold Chrome Flat Wound Electric Guitar Strings | StringsByMail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Interesting, Strings by Mail still has the hex core in stock. (per the web site) Pyramid Gold Chrome Flat Wound Electric Guitar Strings | StringsByMail
    I stand corrected. Strings and Beyond told me they were discontinued. I guess they were just discontinued by them carrying them. I tried a set of the hex Pyramids and found the round core better. Neither of which are as good as T1's IMO. I dislike changing strings. I will stick with TI's. They last me a long time. Smoothest flats on the market.

User Info Menu

+1 on the comparative tensions. I recently went back to chromes on my Matsumoku L-5 because I still own a bunch. Gosh, they are stiffer than I remember. Fortunately, the action is low on this guitar.

Yes, Pyramids are brighter than Swings. You may like that. Me...I am a Swing Flat and a TI George Benson string man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ....I remember another thread here ( TI vs Chromes ) about nickel vs stainless that any stainless would be more ' chimey ' than nickel........

......do you agree and is this the most-often heard complaint about Chromes ?

Thx
    I like the warmer sound of nickel but that is just me. Chromes also feel rough to me and grindy on the frets. Not to mention the much higher tension. A lot of cats really love Chromes. We all have different likes and needs. For me I don't like stainless because it is harder on frets. I am a TI poster boy. :-)

User Info Menu

+1 Vinny1k.

I like Chromes for their price. Otherwise, it's nickel TI, all the way.

User Info Menu

I got a set of Pyramid Gold 013 to 052 by mail which was shipped directly from the factory. Just stripped the end of the low E and it has a round core.

I have played TI swings for decades and like them a lot, but one of the guitars i bought recently came with a great sounding set which i couldn't identify. After the routine change to TI's i realized that it had sounded livelier before. The other set was too light though for me otherwise i would have put it back.

Comparison TI Swing 013/053 and PyramidGold 013/053-closeup-jpg
    Last edited by JazzNote; 06-07-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: pic added

User Info Menu

Having used Ti's flats for more than 20 years, (and prior to that Chromes,)
    I must concur with Vinny's post that they are better choice than D'Addarios
    for several reasons, in the UK the price difference is negligible. The
    longevity is superior, and the tension is lower, as Dennis D demonstrates
    on this thread. Friends and I each tend to purchase in bulk making the
    cost lower also. I keep a quantity of Chromes for emergencies, replacing
    1st and 2nd strings perhaps.

User Info Menu

When I buy TI's I throw away the bronze E & B strings and replace them with Elixirs or D'Addarios. Essentially I pay big bucks for 4 strings but still worth it to me. I prefer plain steel for the high E & B. I like the Elixirs the best for the
    E & B because they never corrode.
    I am getting low.....hopefully Strings and Beyond will have a 20% off sale soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    +1 Vinny1k.

I like Chromes for their price. Otherwise, it's nickel TI, all the way.
    Here in the UK Chromes have gone up 50% to just under £20/$26.
    I tried Rotosound top tape and they're junk. Poor winding and one string would not intonate.
    Trying Picato flats at the moment.

But Thomastic are the best IMHO

User Info Menu

Jazzbow

PM sent recommending best Ti's price s UK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Here in the UK Chromes have gone up 50% to just under £20/$26.
    I tried Rotosound top tape and they're junk. Poor winding and one string would not intonate.
    Trying Picato flats at the moment.

But Thomastic are the best IMHO
    I'd have to agree with your assessment of the Rotosound Top Tape. On both sets I purchased the G string was actually wound. So much for "flat wound". The worst flat wounds I have ever tried.....but probably because I hit the string a little sideways with the pick and those strings really scraped a lot. I didn't care for the sound of them either. One upside was that they rested nicely in my rubbish bin.

I use Pyramids a lot and I like them for a fortnight.....they sound wonderful to me....but after a fortnight they are dead and it's not a "good" dead. They are just lifeless.

Swings are a bit bright for me so I am back with Benson GB112 or 114. We are all fusspots.

User Info Menu

I am a TI guy. But, it is aggravating that the e and b strings tend to buzz out so much (More so the e). You can hear it in all my videos.
    Anyone here from Austria who might talk to TI and ask them to change that? Or maybe a nice neutral force, such as, I don't know, maybe JazzNote?
    Ive talked to the North American distributor, Concord Music and they basically said they will suggest it, and I heard nothing after that.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I just wish TI would offer options for single string flats in heavier gauges. Their heaviest G is .021 and D is .028. ???

I gave up substituting their strings after seeing the packs marked as D or A only. Yes they replaced the 2 I broke, but I got the message.

User Info Menu

I just wish TI would offer options for single string flats in heavier gauges. Their heaviest G is .021 and D is .028. ???
    Here's where i buy the TI single strings i need. There are single Swing .023 and .025 available, also .033 and .035

Saiten für E-Gitarre - Thomastik Einzelsaiten - Saiten Online Shop www.websaiten.ch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    But, it is aggravating that the e and b strings tend to buzz out so much (More so the e). You can hear it in all my videos.
    Joe D
    Joe, what exactly do you mean with "buzz out"? I didn't really notice on your videos ... i just notice on my TI Swing sets that i have to change the e most often then the b because they soon sound dull, while the wound strings seem to last almost "forever".
    Last edited by JazzNote; 06-08-2017 at 06:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Here's where i buy the TI single strings i need. There are single Swing .023 and .025 available, also .033 and .035

Saiten für E-Gitarre - Thomastik Einzelsaiten - Saiten Online Shop www.websaiten.ch
    Thanks..

But IIRC, I had 2 strings break when I tried to use their .046 designated ' E ' as an ' A '.....they say this can be done but after I broke 2, I had to disagree......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Having used Ti's flats for more than 20 years, (and prior to that Chromes,)
    I must concur with Vinny's post that they are better choice than D'Addarios
    for several reasons, in the UK the price difference is negligible. The
    longevity is superior, and the tension is lower, as Dennis D demonstrates
    on this thread. Friends and I each tend to purchase in bulk making the
    cost lower also. I keep a quantity of Chromes for emergencies, replacing
    1st and 2nd strings perhaps.

To be fair Silverfox, lower tension is only better if you want lower tension and your guitar is set up for it. I have trouble playing slinky, loose feeling strings. I only want my strings to travel up and down, to the frets and above, not side to side. I have been very happy with Rotosounds but I'm sure I wouldn't be if I experienced the issues mentioned above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Joe, what exactly do you mean with "buzz out"? I didn't really notice on your videos ... i just notice on my TI Swing sets that i have to change the e most often then the b because they soon sound dull, while the wound strings seem to last almost "forever".
    This how it was explained to me.
    The e and b strings are made from a gold material, most likely a steel/brass mixture. Their oscillation pattern is wider than regular stainless or nickel steel so they tend to buzz against the frets on those strings, particularly when really low action is used. I like low action, so raising the action is not an option.

Joe D

User Info Menu

But IIRC, I had 2 strings break when I tried to use their .046 designated ' E ' as an ' A '.....they say this can be done but after I broke 2, I had to disagree......
    Thanks, you just saved me some money. Why on earth they don't offer a greater variety of gauges so we can mix and match to taste, just seems plain bizarre.
    Last edited by Peter C; 06-09-2017 at 08:42 AM.