The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have a Polytone Mini Brute III.
    I enjoy the sound but I'm limited for playing some bluesy tubes of Grant Green or Kenny Burrell.

I would like a sound more crunch but I don't know if it's possible with a pedal or another device.

Have you got a solution for that ?
    Last edited by nado64; 08-28-2009 at 03:45 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The only decent crunch I am aware of with a polytone is if you drop it.

User Info Menu

boss makes a pedal called the 65 deluxe reverb. my bud has one--it completely colors and changes the sound of whatever amp you play it thru, it seems. modeled of course, after a fender deluxe reverb. i think it gets a little dirty...

i'm going to hang with him tonight--i'll bring my polytone (also a III) and try this out for you and let you know how it sounds.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nado64
    I enjoy the sound but I'm limited for playing some bluesy tubes of Grant Green or Kenny Burrell.

I would like a sound more crunch but I don't know if it's possible with a pedal or another advice.

These should work just fine:
    Buy Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic Preamp Pedal | Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz & Boost | Musician's Friend

Mesa Boogie V-Twin Pedals

User Info Menu

Here is some polytone distortion
    Last edited by bluemood; 08-27-2009 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood
    when I use the so called drive on mine it sounds more like a fart in a bottle.
    Sorry, that's one link I'm not going to follow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    i'm going to hang with him tonight--i'll bring my polytone (also a III) and try this out for you and let you know how it sounds.
    Great ! I'm a little worried about the digital sound so it's very well if you can test this pedal.

User Info Menu

I would like a sound more crunch but I don't know if it's possible with a pedal or another device.

Tonebone Classic can make any amp sound decent w/ enough tweaking. Check one out. They are good sounding and versatile.

=-) PJ

User Info Menu

well, i tried the boss pedal last night. a few things.

it DOES completely alter the sound of the amp...it's almost like it completely disengages the polytone circuit and just uses it for power and the speaker. wild. i've rarely seen a pedal color the sound quite so much.

however--it gets dirty quick. i'd say it's only clean till 9 o'clock, and by 11, it's much more distorted than the crunch i think you're looking for.

the reverb on it is terrible--barely touch it and it's time to play "misirlou."

it has tremolo as well, but it's kind of a pain in the butt to get going (gotta click the pedal twice, then tap it for tempo--blah blah blah...)

overall, i'd compare the tone of the pedal to the "blackface" model on the roland cubes. well, actually similar, but not quite as flexible and clean... workable but not great, but, a pedal will never be a tube amp.

the other choices you've been getting here are much better devices, but i don't think they work to completely color the sound like this little guy. if you really want more of a tube amp sound out of your polytone, you might find that these other devices mentioned in this thread don't change the character enough...this pedal will, it's just a matter if "do you like it?" i didn't. in the end, you've just gotta try them.

and i don't mean to completely rip the "deluxe reverb" box, try one out anyway, maybe you'll feel differently. otherwise, i think it might be time to save up for a tube amp...

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    well, i tried the boss pedal last night. a few things.

it DOES completely alter the sound of the amp...it's almost like it completely disengages the polytone circuit and just uses it for power and the speaker. wild. i've rarely seen a pedal color the sound quite so much.

however--it gets dirty quick. i'd say it's only clean till 9 o'clock, and by 11, it's much more distorted than the crunch i think you're looking for.

the reverb on it is terrible--barely touch it and it's time to play "misirlou."

it has tremolo as well, but it's kind of a pain in the butt to get going (gotta click the pedal twice, then tap it for tempo--blah blah blah...)

overall, i'd compare the tone of the pedal to the "blackface" model on the roland cubes. well, actually similar, but not quite as flexible and clean... workable but not great, but, a pedal will never be a tube amp.

the other choices you've been getting here are much better devices, but i don't think they work to completely color the sound like this little guy. if you really want more of a tube amp sound out of your polytone, you might find that these other devices mentioned in this thread don't change the character enough...this pedal will, it's just a matter if "do you like it?" i didn't. in the end, you've just gotta try them.

and i don't mean to completely rip the "deluxe reverb" box, try one out anyway, maybe you'll feel differently. otherwise, i think it might be time to save up for a tube amp...

Classic Fenders like the Deluxe, Princeton and Twin have always been known to work extremely well with pedals. Santana at Woodstock being a perfect example. Long before the days of master volume Boogie Mark Is.

User Info Menu

thank you for your advices.
    I begin to think like you, it's time to replace my amp by a fender.

I play in organ trio. I tried the hot rod deluxe in shop, it's very well.

And I see fender clone kit on the web. Is it an option better for me ?

Jazzarian Guest
    thank you for your advices.
    I begin to think like you, it's time to replace my amp by a fender.

I play in organ trio. I tried the hot rod deluxe in shop, it's very well.

Actually the "Hot Rod" Fenders aren't the best jazz Fender amps. The 1965 Deluxe Reverb Reissue is the one I was thinking of. Also the Princeton Reverb Reissue and the Twin Reverb Reissue.

Jazzarian Guest

Here's the Deluxe Reverb:
    Other Image Views

User Info Menu

Just heard the deluxe reverb the other day at a friend's jam sessio.Sounds great! I'd need a dolley to haul that thing around though !

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Anandbhat
    Just heard the deluxe reverb the other day at a friend's jam sessio.Sounds great! I'd need a dolley to haul that thing around though !
    40 pounds isn't bad. The Twin Reverb is more than double that.

User Info Menu

Try the Tech21 Character Series Blonde in front of your Polytone.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your advices.

The Polytone has a particulary sound. It's very difficult to put a crunch with a great effect.
    if you want to do this, you must find a pedal very transparent. (see propositions above).

I think the "xotic bb preamp" can be a good option.

For my problem, I create a new thread for replacing my amp.