And throw a Gibson Le Grand in there while you're at it

LOL

How about this one?

It's a 2003, Hutch.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Thanks! Very nice to see the trio.

As a proud owner of a 76 GJS i'm very much wondering about the difference of the electric tone of the three. And i'm also wondering if refretting the 76 has changed the tone in any way.
    I'm not the one who had the '76, but I'm guessing that it did change it a little. The tone of my '68 changed some. Mostly it just gained more clarity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Rhythm Man,
    wow. Not very often do you see a picture like that.
    let me ask you a question. How are the neck profiles? Anyone deeper than the others?
    Also, for some reason it seems like Johnny preferred the finger tailpiece to the L5 style.
    I can attest, the Gibson Johnny Smith is the guitar of a lifetime. I hope whoever buys them are big Johnny Smith fans.
    Sometimes I just sit and stare at my JS, just like I used to with my D'Angelico Excel. The proportions of both guitars are so perfectly appealing.
    Good Luck with your sale.
    Joe D
    Thanks for the comment, Joe. I was actually compared the neck profiles when I took this photo today. They feel remarkably similar to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

How about this one?

It's a 2003, Hutch.
    Yup

That'll do

User Info Menu

I wish I had 3! It's just my favorite guitar! Why are you selling?

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-dsc_0880-jpgAll three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-legrand-jpg
    Last edited by skiboyny; 05-24-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add dialog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-dsc_0880-jpg
    That color is mesmerizing. its the nicest color Ive ever seen.
    Beautiful.
    JD

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-dsc_0882-jpgThank you Joe,
    It's my favorite guitar. The Johnny Smiths are a very special guitar.

That color is mesmerizing. its the nicest color Ive ever seen.
    Beautiful.
    JD
    Last edited by skiboyny; 05-24-2017 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-dsc_0880-jpgAll three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-legrand-jpg
    Those are gorgeous guitars! Red guitars always have some attraction for me that I really can't explain.

I love my '68 and my Legrand. Those are keepers for me. Honestly, I just got a deal too good to pass up on the '76 and the '80. At the same time, I can't justify keeping them, especially since I have my eye on another guitar. I'm hoping these can help fund that.

User Info Menu

You guys missed the Gibson Johnny Smith P-90s model!

This is the rarest one of all. Gibson made exactly 0 of these.

Gibson Johnny Smith 1968 Sunburst | Reverb

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-2017-05-24-11_59_06-gibson-johnny-smith-1968-sunburst-_-reverb-jpgAll three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-2017-05-24-11_59_39-gibson-johnny-smith-1968-sunburst-_-reverb-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-2017-05-24-11_59_06-gibson-johnny-smith-1968-sunburst-_-reverb-jpgAll three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-2017-05-24-11_59_39-gibson-johnny-smith-1968-sunburst-_-reverb-jpg
    I saw that one! I almost dared to ask about the state of the internal bracing of that it. The case has some serious offgassing damage. I have a hard time believing that finish is original.

User Info Menu

and here some more GJS & GJS inspired ....

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-trio-jpg

User Info Menu

MG, I am a little skeptical about that Johnny Smith with all that crap on it.

JazzNote, I knew you had some good stuff, but Jeeze, now that I can visualize it, I have to say something.. You are a lucky man!

I cant believe how much of a peasant I am around here.. 1-GJS. 1-Tal. 1-165.. I'm surprised you guys even let me post here anymore..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Thank you! The "red" Legrand is actually called sunrise orange. It's a different color to be sure. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but the guitar is killer sounding and playing and in pristine shape also at a price point that I couldn't pass on. This shot is a bit closer.All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-legrand-so-jpg
    Where are the details of your guitar sales?.I didn't see it on the "for sale" page.

Those are gorgeous guitars! Red guitars always have some attraction for me that I really can't explain.

I love my '68 and my Legrand. Those are keepers for me. Honestly, I just got a deal too good to pass up on the '76 and the '80. At the same time, I can't justify keeping them, especially since I have my eye on another guitar. I'm hoping these can help fund that.
    Last edited by skiboyny; 05-24-2017 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

MG, I am a little skeptical about that Johnny Smith with all that crap on it.

JazzNote, I knew you had some good stuff, but Jeeze, now that I can visualize it, I have to say something.. You are a lucky man!

I cant believe how much of a peasant I am around here.. 1-GJS. 1-Tal. 1-165.. I'm surprised you guys even let me post here anymore..

Joe D
    Max405, the criteria for posting here includes the ability to play, note perfect,
    Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No3 in D minor, The Flight of the Bumble Bee ,
    and Giant Steps, on the Flute, Harmonica and upright Double Bass, in all keys
    only then will you be deemed fit and proper to make facetious comments,
    SF

User Info Menu

Thank you! The "red" Legrand is actually called sunrise orange. It's a different color to be sure. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but the guitar is killer sounding and playing and in pristine shape also at a price point that I couldn't pass on. This shot is a bit closer.All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-legrand-so-jpg
    Where are the details of your guitar sales?.I didn't see it on the "for sale" page.
    The early years of the Le Grand had some weird colors listed as the official options ....

That's why I ordered my 93 Le Grand in Chablis (aka pink) .... I really didn't like the other colors ... but the Chablis is gorgeous ... if you don't mind pink

I suspect there were a few blondes and sunbursts from the first few years, but those options may have added an extra charge for a custom color

User Info Menu

The choice of woods and workmanship on the Le Grand is so outstanding it really doesn't end up mattering what color they put on em! I like them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    The early years of the Le Grand had some weird colors listed as the official options ....

That's why I ordered my 93 Le Grand in Chablis (aka pink) .... I really didn't like the other colors ... but the Chablis is gorgeous ... if you don't mind pink

I suspect there were a few blondes and sunbursts from the first few years, but those options may have added an extra charge for a custom color

User Info Menu

Where are the details of your guitar sales?.Where are the details of your guitar sales?I didn't see it on the "for sale" page.
    I have them listed on Reverb, but I haven't gotten them listed on here. I would definitely give a substantial discount to sell to a forum member. I'd take $1000 off of what I have either listed for on Reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Max405, the criteria for posting here includes the ability to play, note perfect,
    Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No3 in D minor, The Flight of the Bumble Bee ,
    and Giant Steps, on the Flute, Harmonica and upright Double Bass, in all keys
    only then will you be deemed fit and proper to make facetious comments,
    SF
    Now I'm really screwed.
    does 1/2 of Giant steps count? I can play Scatterbrain by Jeff Beck, does that count a little bit toward flight of the bumble bees?
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass

I'm puzzled MG--did someone take an L5C and attach everything else?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I'm puzzled MG--did someone take an L5C and attach everything else?
    My initial thought too, Helios, but I think that it looks like a Super 400 style headstock.

User Info Menu

My initial thought too, Helios, but I think that it looks like a Super 400 style headstock.
    and the inlays look like a Johnny Smith

I guess it could have started out a Super V

User Info Menu

Now I'm really screwed.
    does 1/2 of Giant steps count? I can play Scatterbrain by Jeff Beck, does that count a little bit toward flight of the bumble bees?
    JD
    Hi Ho Silver Lining , by Jeff Beck? or Birds of Fire Mahavishnu Orchestra for openers.

User Info Menu

Joe D

Joe, yes i consider myself lucky indeed. It was hard work to acquire them and it has payed off - i enjoy playing all of them regularly.

I think you should consider yourself lucky too. You have the most beautiful 165 i've ever seen, your GJS sounds & looks gorgeous and i hear so much good about the Tals ....... .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    and the inlays look like a Johnny Smith

I guess it could have started out a Super V
    Smart thinking! L5 sized body with a Super 400 neck = Super V (perhaps at one time at least).
    Only thing is a Super V would have a humbucker sized pickup routing which would be wider than a P90 routing. Very puzzling!

Super V:
    Last edited by helios; 05-25-2017 at 04:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I sent a message to the P-90 seller re: nut, bracing and scale length.

End of hijack.