The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 81

User Info Menu

I'll only have all three of these in my possession for a limited time, as I've put two of them on the market. I had to get a pic of all three together though. I mean, how often do you get to see three GJSs in the same place.

The one on the left is my 1968 that was just refretted. The honeymoon continues. I love that guitar.

In the middle is a 1976 it's been refretted. It's a great guitar too. If I didn't have my '68, I would be keeping this one.

On the right is a 1980. It is one made shortly after the switch to the fingers tailpiece. It still has the original wide-low frets. It's a great guitar, but I would have to replace those frets if I were keeping it. I like tall wire too much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful

User Info Menu

I'm saving that picture

User Info Menu

How variable is the amplified and acoustic sounds among the three?

User Info Menu

+1 on MG's question. My guess would be that the one on the left has the best acoustic sound, but that can be quite variable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    +1 on MG's question. My guess would be that the one on the left has the best acoustic sound, but that can be quite variable.
    As a quick answer, in my opinion, you're right. I think the '68 definitely has the best acoustic tone. I'll try to be more in depth soon and if I can get it together, maybe I'll post some clips for comparison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    As a quick answer, in my opinion, you're right. I think the '68 definitely has the best acoustic tone. I'll try to be more in depth soon and if I can get it together, maybe I'll post some clips for comparison.
    Thanks! Very nice to see the trio.

As a proud owner of a 76 GJS i'm very much wondering about the difference of the electric tone of the three. And i'm also wondering if refretting the 76 has changed the tone in any way.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Now if only you had a Guild JS from the 50's, a Heritage JS from the 90's and a Guild/Benedetto from the 2000's, the saga would be complete.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Beautiful! Now if only you had a Guild JS from the 50's, a Heritage JS from the 90's and a Guild/Benedetto from the 2000's, the saga would be complete.
    Since you referenced the "Grand Slam" of JS Guitars:

Images compliments of "The Unique Guitar Blog":
    THE UNIQUE GUITAR BLOG: Johnny Smith Guitars

50's Guild JS

Heritage JS

Guild (Fender) Benedetto JS

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-d18d26650bcfb656ee845fda9e9dd793-jpg

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-emrad_amplifier_1971-jpg

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-23-2017 at 06:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! Great photos. Johnny and the Gretsch 400 El Dorado is a bit like Barney Kessel and photos with him and a Telecaster. He used it, but it's not what he preferred. OTOH, the 400 El Dorado _was_ the guitar that Freddie Green preferred, and he had both an Epiphone Emperor and a Stromberg 400 at home. He played the Gretsch for over 30 years.

That's a cool Melita bridge on the Guild Johnny Smith, by the way. I have owned different Gretsch 6120 guitars. The one with the Melita bridge (original owner added it in '64) sounded the best.

User Info Menu

Back when I owned a number of Smiths, this one from 1968 was always my favorite and probably the only one with which I gigged or recorded:

Photo from 1970.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Back when I owned a number of Smiths, this one from 1968 was always my favorite and probably the only one with which I gigged or recorded:

Photo from 1970.

Danny W.
    love them old koss headphones!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    And throw a Gibson Le Grand in there while you're at it

LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    And throw a Gibson Le Grand in there while you're at it

LOL
    Ok

User Info Menu

I'd settle for ONE.

And WOW- that's the first reference I've ever seen to JS playing a Gretsch! I knew about all the others, but not Grestch.

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-1965gibsonartistacoustics-jpg

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-s-l1600-jpg

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-guild-guitars-advertisement-1960-jpg

User Info Menu

All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-gib63p2-jpg

User Info Menu

In '68-'70 or so, those Koss 'phones were about the best sounding around--but hot and heavy.

User Info Menu

Rhythm Man,
    wow. Not very often do you see a picture like that.
    let me ask you a question. How are the neck profiles? Anyone deeper than the others?
    Also, for some reason it seems like Johnny preferred the finger tailpiece to the L5 style.
    I can attest, the Gibson Johnny Smith is the guitar of a lifetime. I hope whoever buys them are big Johnny Smith fans.
    Sometimes I just sit and stare at my JS, just like I used to with my D'Angelico Excel. The proportions of both guitars are so perfectly appealing.
    Good Luck with your sale.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Photo from 1970.

Danny W.
    Danny great picture of an almost new Johnny. The color is spectacular. The white bindings and the shine of the finish are captured beautifully in that pic.
    Only one thing. How did you play that magnificent guitar with a belt buckle so close to it? If it was me, I would have let my pants fall off instead of running the risk of scratching it up.
    Great pic.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd toss my hat in the ring..
    All three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-img_3472-jpgAll three decades of the Gibson Johnny Smith-img_3478-jpg

User Info Menu

Photo from 1970.

Danny W.
    Dang it...who are you "Danny W."? Best guitar collection and best guitar photos, always. Sheesh.