The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32
    For what it's worth, I have a set of Phat Cats in my Les Paul and the neck position is particularly smooth and sweet. I'd tend to say however that the tone is in the ball park of a classic P90 but not quite exact.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have learned that magnets, winds, wire and orientation of the each component have important effects on the output. So when someone swaps out magnets, it is only one variable that has changed. And even different magnets, A2 vs A5 for example, don't tell that much of the story. The size, orientation and strength of the magnets matter. The point is to focus on the tonal output, not the individual components. The rub is that it is very difficult to describe tonal nuances with words. We end up with vague terms like sweet, woody, monster, bold, etc.

In the family of single coil sounds, I like the Fralin P92s quite a bit. They are easy to install, don't hum, and definitely sound single coil. They are available in different strengths (windings). A phone call to Lindy Fralin will get you a free consult on how to get the desired result.

Life gets harder when there are too many choices and only relatively minor differences.

Here's an example of P92s. You'll have to extrapolate how they may sound on an archtop. They are richer on a hollowbody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Life gets harder when there are too many choices and only relatively minor differences.
    Three words: "First World Problem"

We are such lucky people, aren't we?

User Info Menu

I dig Phat Cats in semi-hollow and solid gits. I bet they'd sound great in a full hollow.

Also, never tried Fralin P-92's but would like to some day based on the many positive reviews from users.

It's funny to see this coming back. FWIW I ended up not changing the pickups and bought a Peerless Songbird (think ES-330) instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    It's funny to see this coming back. FWIW I ended up not changing the pickups and bought a Peerless Songbird (think ES-330) instead

And are you happy with that Songbird or ??

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    And are you happy with that Songbird or ??
    Really happy, thanks for asking im selling my other two hollowbodys.

I did swap the P90s it had with some from an ES-330 VOS. It really took me to the happy place of old school P90 sound and it’s a joy to play.

FWIW after all my research on HB sized P90s I concluded the best for my needs was the Bare knuckle Manhattan HSP90 but like I said I didn’t pull the trigger.