The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 57

User Info Menu

Wow, cool tone...got the stringy sound of a longer scale carved top on the trebles, but the low end has some thunk....well, I'll be damned.

It actually reminds me of my 575, but brighter and more acoustic up top, and darker and thunkier down low.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Wow...your playing is so great, Joe. Unbelievable command of the instrument. And, that guitar sounds fantastic. Bravo, Joe!
    Aww, thanks Mark. I do appreciate it a lot.
    And it is my pleasure entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall
    So will the truss rod cover just have your name or your name plus es170? Gonna make us wait to find out? ????
    Bobby, it would sacrilegious to put my name on that guitar. Herb was great and that's a great guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    +1 on cover plate.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Joe, I think it's time for that custom truss rod cover on the Joe D ES-170 Signature Model. Your playing is excellent, and the tone is nothing less than superb! Well done, Sir, well done!
    C74, thanks buddy. I am really of what happened today. I am really glad that this guitar got some love today. Just like the other 165 with the set in full size humbucker, this guitar takes a back seat to nothing. The way it responds to any playing style is on the money. I love an underdog. Especially a beautiful one like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    If I got one then we could add another floater 165 to NJ haha. I am going to start keeping an eye out. I saw one a couple years ago and passed but am going to look forward to trying to find one now..
    Good luck Rio. I'm sure there are tons of them in the great garden state. When I sit in traffic every morning I look around and how many of these people play the guitar. Probably a lot!!
    thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Wow, cool tone...got the stringy sound of a longer scale carved top on the trebles, but the low end has some thunk....well, I'll be damned.
    It actually reminds me of my 575, but brighter and more acoustic up top, and darker and thunkier down low.
    Mr B, I'd love to hear this thing in your hands. Oh man..
    Im proud to know I have a guitar with some thunk in it, finally! And who would a thunk it would be this 165!
    thanks brother.

User Info Menu

You've always been an exquisite player and any praise I have has been said by me and a thousand others many times before. Great as always, BUT! You're looking really healthy in that video buddy, I thought it was Michael Brecker for a second

User Info Menu

Joe, great video as always. I was watching your video when my brother Steve walked in the room and without looking at the screen said " Is that Joe you're listening to? " He was able to recognize your playing style just by listening to you. Steve is a great player himself and can often identify guitar players by their style of playing. The tone on your new axe is great by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    You've always been an exquisite player and any praise I have has been said by me and a thousand others many times before. Great as always, BUT! You're looking really healthy in that video buddy, I thought it was Michael Brecker for a second
    Marwin, that was a really nice post. I appreciate it very much.
    I saw Micheal a bunch of times when he was young and healthy. My friends girlfriends Mom was the head hairdresser at Saturday Night Live for years and we would drive into Manhattan every Saturday night at 1am to pick her up. After a while, they knew who we were and security just let us in. I was the odd one who would just walk past Dan Akroyd and Bill Murray just to say high to GE Smith and Micheal..
    Thank you Marwin for you nice words about my playing and this unbelievable guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    Joe, great video as always. I was watching your video when my brother Steve walked in the room and without looking at the screen said " Is that Joe you're listening to? " He was able to recognize your playing style just by listening to you. Steve is a great player himself and can often identify guitar players by their style of playing. The tone on your new axe is great by the way.
    wow Matt, that was a great thing to read 1st thing in the morning. You are like royalty around here and when i read something like that coming from you I have to pinch myself. To you and Steve, thanks for being part of our family. You fill voids and bring expertise on the side of exquisite guitar building that you just can't get anywhere else. When I grow up, I want to play one of your fine guitars. I hear Vinny singing the praises of your guitars all the time.
    Im glad you like my new baby. Thanks again bro.
    Joe DeNisco

User Info Menu

I have to ask the obligatory question, even though I know most of the guitar tone is in your fingers. Could you please share whether or not you were using a mic'ed amp or if it was some sort of electronic recording gear?

(Sigh). In listening to your little performance, I had a Herb Ellis/Charlie Christian moment. You know, the one where Herb says he wanted to put his guitar away and quit playing after hearing Christian for the first time?

Its so nice when you can own fine guitars and also be able to play them at a nice, high level. I am also happy for you, man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I have to ask the obligatory question, even though I know most of the guitar tone is in your fingers. Could you please share whether or not you were using a mic'ed amp or if it was some sort of electronic recording gear?

(Sigh). In listening to your little performance, I had a Herb Ellis/Charlie Christian moment. You know, the one where Herb says he wanted to put his guitar away and quit playing after hearing Christian for the first time?

Its so nice when you can own fine guitars and also be able to play them at a nice, high level. I am also happy for you, man.
    alsoRan,
    haha.. That's how I feel about Pasquale Grasso and Andreas Oberg.
    I always record straight into a Zoom G3 with no amp simulation, an almost flat eq and a touch of Reverb.
    Here are my settings..
    Usb straight into my PC.
    Thank you buddy. I continue to be flattered to death..
    Joe DeNisco
    Gibson ES-165 Video-img_3532-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson Herb Ellis ES165 2011 light sunburst | Reverb

someone is selling a nice one. And it has the Nashville style TuneOmatic bridge which is better. Great price, flame monster, 2011 looks mint. Probably has the standard 175 neck profile too.

ive been playing my 165 a lot. it's really a nice guitar. Had to tweak the truss rod because of the change in seasons. Got the bow out and now its right again. I played it through my Polytone yesterday and that is a special combination, although, the Princeton is still the best amp I ever had.

I love that its not a 175. Now, I can get a 175 too.

The more ore I spend time away from a 175, the more I want another one. Same goes for an L5 Wes. In my opinion, those are the best guitars ever made. Those should be the staples in my collection. The other guitars are great, but the L5 and 175's are legendary for multiple reasons. And that becomes apparent when you don't have them in your life.
    JD

User Info Menu

Those g3's sound nice. I have heard a few guys use them for jazz and they work really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    The more I spend time away from a 175, the more I want another one. Same goes for an L5 Wes. In my opinion, those are the best guitars ever made. Those should be the staples in my collection. The other guitars are great, but the L5 and 175's are legendary for multiple reasons. And that becomes apparent when you don't have them in your life.
    JD
    Words of wisdom. The L-5, Super400 and ES-175 are the jazz guitar icons. D'Angelicos and Guild AA's (and Johnny Smiths) are all acoustic L-5's (or an acoustic Super400 in the case of the DA NYer).

If one is a serious jazz guitarist, one should strive to own an L-5 and an ES-175 at a minimum. They are jazz guitar comfort food. It is great to taste other flavors, but it just feels right to come home to the icons of jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Words of wisdom. The L-5, Super400 and ES-175 are the jazz guitar icons. D'Angelicos and Guild AA's (and Johnny Smiths) are all acoustic L-5's (or an acoustic Super400 in the case of the DA NYer).

If one is a serious jazz guitarist, one should strive to own an L-5 and an ES-175 at a minimum. They are jazz guitar comfort food. It is great to taste other flavors, but it just feels right to come home to the icons of jazz guitar.
    its funny you mention that. As you know, I've had a couple of L5's and a couple of 175's. I've always been on some stupid quest to find the guitar of my dreams. Don't get me wrong, it was fun. The benchmark L5 and 175's are the icons for a reason. When the time is right, I will buy 2 more guitars and I'm done. I've turned over every rock. And it turns out, the ones I was looking for, I had in my hands the entire time.

Joe D

User Info Menu

its funny you mention that. As you know, I've had a couple of L5's and a couple of 175's. I've always been on some stupid quest to find the guitar of my dreams. Don't get me wrong, it was fun. The benchmark L5 and 175's are the icons for a reason. When the time is right, I will buy 2 more guitars and I'm done. I've turned over every rock. And it turns out, the ones I was looking for, I had in my hands the entire time.

Joe D
    dude that is deep.

User Info Menu

Way to go Joe! I love the Vid-e-o! You explained the audio above, how do you do the Video, with what please? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    dude that is deep.
    yeah I know.. Lawson, ive deserved to lose all the money I've lost lost for being as stupid as I've been.
    No more. No more buying because I'm a gear head. The last buying I do will be buying stuff that finally makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Way to go Joe! I love the Vid-e-o! You explained the audio above, how do you do the Video, with what please? Thanks!
    Thanks Sky.
    its simple. I use a Logitech c920 video camera. Into my PC and using youcam 6. Set the camera to the Logitech and set the audio to the Zoom G3. Hit the red record button and Voila!
    JD

User Info Menu

I know that feeling. I've hit a kind of critical mass of satisfaction with the instruments I'm playing right now. The ES165, the re-issue ES175, and the L5ces are my staple guitars. I also get a lot of fun from the Aria, the Epi Elitist, and the Epi ES175. Not much else I really feel like I need now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I know that feeling. I've hit a kind of critical mass of satisfaction with the instruments I'm playing right now. The ES165, the re-issue ES175, and the L5ces are my staple guitars. I also get a lot of fun from the Aria, the Epi Elitist, and the Epi ES175. Not much else I really feel like I need now.
    im glad you have what made you happy Lawson.
    You got all the greats right there. Nice going buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I made a very minor but important modification to the underside of my pickguard today.
    When I play, I tend to tap the pickguard a lot as I am picking. Or sometimes I tap it with picking hand when I return "home". Well, whenever I tapped the pickguard I would hear an annoying "clicking" sound under the pickguard. So I neatly taped the wire down so it doesn't slap around under there.
    Here is the tidy little fix..
    Gibson ES-165 Video-img_3838-jpg

Now the pickguard feels more solid and it has a dead sound when I tap it. It is perfectly quit now.
    JD

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Max405;776266]yeah I know.. Lawson, ive deserved to lose all the money I've lost lost for being as stupid as I've been.
    No more. No more buying because I'm a gear head. The last buying I do will be buying stuff that finally makes sense.

JD, you have been on a journey. The money you have spent is the price of admission to that journey. You experienced some self realization on that journey that is priceless. Have no regrets. Now that you know what you need, make the moves to make it so. Once you have done so, a new journey will commence. And it is all about the journey, not the destination.

L-5? ES-175? Yeah, you need those.

User Info Menu

L-5WES? Sure, it's a nice guitar, as is the ES-175. But what you really need is a nice Hofner Chancellor. Coincidentally, I have one available, posted on this very forum! Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-14-2017 at 01:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Great playing and great guitar Joe. Always a pleasure watching your videos.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Great playing and great guitar Joe. Always a pleasure watching your videos.
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers.
    Fred, Thanks buddy. And I love watching your videos too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    L-5WES? Sure, it's a nice guitar, as is the ES-175. But what you really need is a nice Hofner Chancellor. Like the one I have available. Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Hammer, Yeah ya know, I have to try one of those one day.. HaHa..

[QUOTE=Stringswinger;776343]

JD, you have been on a journey. The money you have spent is the price of admission to that journey. You experienced some self realization on that journey that is priceless. Have no regrets. Now that you know what you need, make the moves to make it so. Once you have done so, a new journey will commence. And it is all about the journey, not the destination.

L-5? ES-175? Yeah, you need those.
    My wife came upstairs after I ran through my routine and she sat down on the couch next to me and said, "Wow honey that really sounded nice. I have a question.. If that one sounds so nice, why do need any new ones? And for that matter, why do you need these other 3..." I didn't know how to answer without yelling, So I sat and thought about the answer for a while. Then it hit me.. I started playing Eruption by Van Halen. She said "wow, that didn't sound too good". I said "see that's why you cant have just one"..

I am tired of the journey to be honest. I've dodged some bullets along the way. I've been lucky. Now I have a focus. My focus needs some cooperation from the real estate market here in New Jersey. Once the plan becomes a reality, I will have the stuff I want and I will enjoy retirement from being a gear head.

I thought I learned my lesson early on in life. When I was 27, I thought I'd try to make a little comeback in the Boxing ring. So I rejoined Costello's gym after an 8 year hiatus. Things were going well, trimming down, getting my timing back. I had my sites set on a pair of Cleto Reyes 8 ounce gloves. They were hand made and they were expensive. So I broke down and bought them. I used them a couple of times and kept them secure in my locker. I went on vacation for a week.. When I came back, I walked past the table by the ring were the community gloves, headgear and no foul protectors were piled up. On top of the pile, was a pair of new but sweaty and beat up Reyes Gloves. I said Mmmm, Ive never seen them before. So I went to my locker to find some prick ripped my lock off and my gloves were missing. So I told my trainer, Herbie. He said, "hey man, I told you not to buy those gloves and leave them here.. Why you need those gloves anyway?.." He was right. But I never learned...

Joe D

User Info Menu

Dang, boxing!! Suddenly I just thought of Ron Affif, who is a great player and whom I associate with boxing, for reasons I'm not completely clear about!

User Info Menu

Update..
    I love this guitar!
    Its a PERFECT compliment to my Johnny Smith. Sometimes I play it and I think it's better than my Johnny Smith. Yes, really. And other days I think the JS is better.
    The sound, the precision, the flowing nature of its playability and the solidness of the guitar are perfect. The neck dimensions are no longer a problem, especially when bouncing around from JS to Tal and back to this one. Those who have seen this guitar automatically assume that it is more expensive than the other guitars, because of its wood and rich gold appointments. The case for this guitar is my favorite case ever.
    The only issue with the guitar is a shaved truss nut, an issue created by the geniuses at Gibson. Apparently, they flat sand the face of the headstock, before they apply the holly veneer. When they do that, they grind down the truss nut. It still works, but I will replace it.
    One more thing regarding the sound. Thomastik Infield Jazz Swing strings are perfect for this guitar. I might feel that roundwound strings would make this guitar sound too bright. But the TI's are perfect for this guitar. My beloved Fender Princeton Reverb is a perfect amp for this guitar. My Marshall AS50R sounds amazing with this guitar too. Both amps are perfectly balanced. Acoustically, this guitar is actually amazing. A lot of what I hear from the guitar is it's acoustic sound with only a slight amplified sound in a distance. It is wonderfully smooth, with hints of cherry and cocoa if you will... it's just smooth. Exactly what an acoustic archtop should sound like. And plenty loud.
    So my post honeymoon verdict is.. forgive me but I feel like I wayyy underpaid for this guitar. It's a world class guitar. Perfect dimensions, Outstanding sound and playability. As far as I'm concerned, on a scale a 1-10, I give it an Eleven.