The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Another update..
    I know some of you are waiting for this "keeper" to show up in the For Sale section of this great forum. Aint happening. (Not this month anyway).
    One thing I wanted to point out. This guitar came to me with a rosewood and the stock ABR-1 bridge, with the awful retainer wire. When I bought the guitar I installed the ABR1. I liked it a lot, but then it started to make noises. So shortly after buying the guitar, I've been using the Rosewood bridge. Its OK..
    I don't have many guitars left so I tend to cycle in and out of the GJS, 165 and Tal a lot. Last week, It was time to play my Tal. Among other things, one thing I noticed was the additional Sustain of the Tal. Initially, it made me think that I accidentally turned up my reverb setting on the amp (which I didn't). The Tal is a wonderful guitar. It really is. So, I thought about it and remembered Vinny saying the Tunomatic bridge helped add sustain back into the guitar. So I swapped out the rosewood bridge back to the ABR-1 on my 165. But before I did, I tried a little trick that I learned about how to tame the "noisy" ABR1 bridge.

Take a small flathead screwdriver and place its flat edge on the retaining wire. Hold the screwdriver in place with your left hand. Starting between screw E and A, Use your other hand to "tap" down the retaining wire ever so slightly. You will see a very small dip in the retaining wire at the edge of the bridge between the posts. Then repeat this between screw A and D and so on and so forth, until you have effectively molded the retaining wire downward, between the screws on all the posts. This creates extra down force on the retaining wire between the posts, eliminating the noise that It sometimes makes. Now my ABR1 is dead quiet. And the sustain has increased a small, yet perfect amount.

This ES165 Herb with floater continues to impress me. I honestly don't feel like I have a lessor expensive variant of the 175. I actually feel like I have a 175, that was made perfectly for me. Its a wonderful guitar.

Thanks. Joe D.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe, I don't know how I missed this thread when it came out, but I've just been knocked out with your playing! I think I'll put my 175 away - it overheard you playing, and now all it can talk about is why can't I play like you! I'll never hear the end of it.

Seriously, though, Joe, that was great. Must have taken a lot of work to memorise it and work it up to performance level. Congratulations are due for that alone. But moreso, your performance has passion, grace and fire (to borrow a phrase) and is a delight to hear and observe. Love your playing, Joe!

User Info Menu

I would still upgrade to the wireless tun-o-matic as the threads don't have the loose slop that the one with the retaining wire has.

My 2008 L5 had the one with the retaining wire. A total pile of rattling junk. I replaced it and it was night and day. Apparently after 2008 Gibson uses the good one now on everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Joe, I don't know how I missed this thread when it came out, but I've just been knocked out with your playing! I think I'll put my 175 away - it overheard you playing, and now all it can talk about is why can't I play like you! I'll never hear the end of it.

Seriously, though, Joe, that was great. Must have taken a lot of work to memorise it and work it up to performance level. Congratulations are due for that alone. But moreso, your performance has passion, grace and fire (to borrow a phrase) and is a delight to hear and observe. Love your playing, Joe!
    Aww thanks Rob. You are far too kind. I continuously MARVEL at your talent. There are some outstanding players here and you are one of them. Don't forget.. You WRITE books for MelBay. I don't.
    Honestly that really means a lot to me. Thank you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I would still upgrade to the wireless tun-o-matic as the threads don't have the loose slop that the one with the retaining wire has.
    My 2008 L5 had the one with the retaining wire. A total pile of rattling junk. I replaced it and it was night and day. Apparently after 2008 Gibson uses the good one now on everything.
    Vin,
    I will upgrade. I am on a spending freeze right now. Need to make good with what I have..

User Info Menu

rubbing a little beeswax on the bridge saddle screws and springs keeps 'em from rattling and moving...particularly good with fenders too..where the saddle height hex screws always move about...beeswax keeps'em in place....and if needed, can be removed/cleaned up with a bit of heat

a small chunk of beeswax (like a pure beeswax votive candle) and a soft graphite pencil...2 cheap essentials every guitar tweaker should have in their kit

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Another update..
    I know some of you are waiting for this "keeper" to show up in the For Sale section of this great forum. Aint happening. (Not this month anyway).

haha..we know you all too well my friend!! hahaha

enjoy..you make beautiful music on any guitar you play!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    haha..we know you all too well my friend!! hahaha

enjoy..you make beautiful music on any guitar you play!

cheers
    You like that huh?..