The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

I started playing with a tortex 050 today and was surprised at how easy it was to play with compared to my usual thick, "jazz" plecs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

used to use 1.5 but fatter sound w/2.0

User Info Menu

1.5 for me. I like Dunlop's "Delrin" material. Thinner and I find that the sound is too thin, thicker slows me down.

User Info Menu

What I like for practice seems to be totally different to what I like for gigs.... Anyone else find this?

User Info Menu

I only started playing with a plectrum a month or so ago. I've acquired and tested a fair number of them in recent days.
    So far, my favorite is the 1.5mm Pro Plec. I'm happy with the standard teardrop shape at this point, but I could see moving toward a smaller "jazz" shape if my ring finger drops out of the equation in the future.

Regarding gigs vs practice, I'm practicing the heck out of the plec, but my next gig I'll probably chicken out and go back to fingerstyle. (but I'm sure I'll have a pick or two in my pocket)

User Info Menu

i go from super thin dunlop .38 nylon to big thick stubby type picks...some made of seashell or horn...and everything in between...

depends on the application..each imparts a different flavor..changes the attack tone ever so slightly, and even the way (and where) you pick..ie. right hand technique

your sound chain begins with the pick...so pick wisely! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I use a Golden Gate mandolin pick. Large and rather thick. But, the material is kind of soft and it produces a mellow sound.

User Info Menu

I use everything. I have a jar full of tons of picks, accumulated through a lifetime of use. If a Fender medium pops up, I will use that--reluctantly. My preference is to use acetate 3.5mm-4.5mm picks by Dugain. I will even use felt picks (I started out playing baritone ukulele over 50 years ago) if they surface in the jar.)

One thing: the thin picks I used from the old rock and roll days back in the 60s slow me down. I just don't get a good stroke through the string with them. Also, they tend to sound "boinky." Thicker, acetate picks sound darker and produce a good, clean stroke through the string with instant recovery for an upstroke or a downstroke through the adjacent string.
    What pick thickness do you use and why?-acetate-6-jpg

User Info Menu

I mostly use a Blue Chip 50 (.050"), but sometimes a 40, depending on the guitar.

User Info Menu

12 pack for $4.99
    Attached Images Attached Images What pick thickness do you use and why?-fender-medium-jpg 

User Info Menu

At least 1.2mm and up to 2mm. I change picks fairly often - I like that I can get not unsubstantial tone changes so easily just switching out a pick so I like to experiment. I have about 4 favorites that I cycle through right now but am always on the lookout to try new ones - as long as they are thick. Under 1.2mm is where I start to feel flimsiness and hear too much of a sacrifice in tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Pointy Dunlop Jazz IIIs. I've tried everything to wean myself from this dependency, counseling, the patch, lozenges, aversion therapy etc. but I just go back to using.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

+1 for 1.5 mm

User Info Menu

I always keep 2 picks one on the amp, 2 mm Dunlop for single lines and the .76 mm for comping

User Info Menu

Fender 358 ('jazz' pick) medium or heavy - prefer white over shell but can't find the white ones any more. I have some that I use regularly that I've had for close to 30 years.

User Info Menu

Jim Dunlop 1.0 because they are the most comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use a Dunlop 2.0 mm and sometimes a 3 mm when I can't find a 2.

User Info Menu

After decades of using heavy teardrop picks I recently started using regular shape Medium picks. My teacher and I noticed some others I liked use them so I started experimenting and I like them. They give the note are nice snap to the attack and like the strum sound with them.

User Info Menu

Jim Dunlop Nylon .73mm, the same ones providing me with the djent during my late '80s early '90s metal years, now provide me with the thunk

User Info Menu

ProPlec 1.5 mm small teardrops or Jazz III Ultex. The proPlec sounds warm with a soft attack, the Dunlop is a bit firmer/clearer and is fast. The excellent grip is also nice. I mostly use a hybrid picking technique.

User Info Menu

I too have the 2.0 mm Dunlop as my main pick.

User Info Menu

After reading the responses here I went to look for some thicker plecs in my mystery cup of forgotten picks, and I found a bunch of Jimi Hendrix picks which I got for I think my 13th birthday. They're Dunlop but all I get to know is that it's "Heavy". Any idea what the gauge might me in mm?

Side ntoe: I think the important bit was the shape, not the thickness. I'll stick with medium or heavy but guess I'll go back to more common pick shapes instead of the ol' fender 354 I've been using for a year or two now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    ProPlec 1.5 mm small teardrops or Jazz III Ultex. The proPlec sounds warm with a soft attack, the Dunlop is a bit firmer/clearer and is fast. The excellent grip is also nice. I mostly use a hybrid picking technique.
    I used the 358 PP for a long time then re evaluated my technique and switched to the lager 651 PP jazz. As I recently posted, they were terribly warped and out of 2 dozen, I have 7 picks that didn't go into the trash.
    The ultex jazziii actually is more articulate and "punchier", without being brighter; kind of like the pro plec is more like a sax and Ultex like a trumpet if that makes sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    They're Dunlop but all I get to know is that it's "Heavy". Any idea what the gauge might me in mm?
    These days heavy tend to be 1 mm, earlier on I'd say just slightly thinner than 1mm.

User Info Menu

I find I am back to Delrin .96 picks. I have gone up and down a little bit down from there. I find this also relates to string gauge. With a heavier strings I like a lighter pick. With lighter strings a heavier pick.

Danielle