The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

I stopped using plastic and now use buffalo horn at 1.2mm. They sound softer and have a slight curve making them easier to grip than "grippers".

I also can form the profile into a "jazz" size and polish the edges easily, break in is not required. I have maybe 50 but since they're more pricey than plastic I mentally value them more and never lose the two I use daily

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dunlop 3.0mm. Tried a whole bunch, but landed here.

User Info Menu

clayton rounded triangles- black raven .88mm for the strumming, regular old white 1.0mm for the rock. have a few 2.0 proplecs (?) and those are alright, but only for a very specific thing, single note playing. little fatter and rounder, too.

i have a bag of random picks from here and there around here somehwere, but those don't get any use. the felt one was disappointing. i don't play anything that requires a thinner pick, and i used to break those all the time back when.

User Info Menu

Was it George Benson who said something like if you use thinner pick go with thicker strings or if you use thicker picks you can go with thinner strings?
    I love a bit of flex in my attack and since I just let 2 or 3mm protrude from my grip it is not flexing too much even with .73 playing directly at the base of the neck above the pickup where I get the best tone on both the Tal and my Franken Tele.

User Info Menu

I dunno, but fat picks sound like shit on skinny strings unless you're playing a SelMac.

I've settled on kinda heavy, kinda heavy. (.012''s and a 1.5mm pick)

User Info Menu

Like others, I have tired many, this is my favorite for it's mellow tone:

User Info Menu

I don't use a pick much these days but I used to. My favorite was always the green one, which I think was a Dunlop. The silver one is solid metal and gives a kind of raspy sound.

Tortoiseshell isn't allowed in the UK but it was thought American Clayton picks gave something like the same tone. The roundish one gives a fairly mellow sound.

But they're all thick. I tried thinner ones at one point, thinking it would improve speed, but they just felt flimsy. But I'm probably out of touch now. All these picks are at least 20 years old. Maybe today's picks are different :-)

(edit)

They're not as grubby as the photo makes them look!

What pick thickness do you use and why?-picks-jpg
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-22-2017 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

The thinnest pick I use is a jazz iii. Usually go with a 1cm custom made pick. I cut it out of a hunk of plastic. Lol.

User Info Menu

I saw this on Facebook Marketplace.

What pick thickness do you use and why?-pick-maker-jpg

No, of course I didn't buy it.

User Info Menu

My main picks lately are:
    Fender Medium (or D'Andrea Medium) approx .73mm
    Jazz III (I believe they're around 1.5mm) and Jazz III Maxi Grip

User Info Menu

During a quite long time I’ve only used 1,50 mm. Recently I’ve changed to 0,88 mm instead because of it fits both solo playing and comping very well.

User Info Menu

"Old school heavy" about .83mm (now days 1mm is considered "medium").

Very important to me are the nature of the pick substance itself and the way the edges are shaped. I don't know the name of my preferred substance, but it is always black and feels "denser and cooler" than the black ones I don't like that look just like it (don't know who makes them, they are stamped with my local mom and pop guitars shop's logo, standard shape 351). These have "more rounded than beveled" edges... just right, 25 cents each. I grab a handful out of the big jar and sort through them by feel, finding the "right ones".

User Info Menu

There are black picks of various materials available. There is the Dunlop carbon fiber, which gives a very mellow tone IME. The best black pick I've tried is the John Petrucci Jazz III from Dunlop, made of Ultex. It's the closest I've found to a Blue Chip pick in terms of sound and feel, although the feel to the fingers is very different because of the raised logo and gripping surface. If I couldn't get a Blue Chip, that's the one I would use.
    JOHN PETRUCCI SIGNATURE JAZZ III GUITAR PICK

User Info Menu

Kind of in between picks atm , playing these for now..

What pick thickness do you use and why?-31uecd38-gl-_ac_sy400_-jpg

User Info Menu

Been a lifelong Tortex pick fan, when I use picks. Half the time I prefer to okay with just my fingers. This year I made the jump from 0.73mm to 1.14mm. I also have grown to dislike the pointier end of the plectrums, preferring the rounder edges for better control, so I recently sat down and rounded all those edges downing my picks to match the other two corners as much as I could eyeballing them. I like them much better now.

User Info Menu

I’ve settled on Jazz III XL in 1.14. Tried the 1.5, and it was also very nice. But in the end having them side by side I end up grabbing the 1.14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Thread resurrection, since I miss my pick of choice here:
    Herco hybrid thumb pick, available in all kinds of thicknesses.
    Heavy is prefect for me, the X-heavy might have better tone but is very oncomfortable on the thumb (could be fixed with heating it maybe), light ones feel a bit flimsy if not gripped like a normal pick.

Used it primarily for percussive hybrid/chickenpicking before so more or less snapping and plucking.
    Now learning to balance it with the mellow tone of the other fingers.

What pick thickness do you use and why?-cbdbaa57-9fe5-445d-8b1a-50b76479914a-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Artpulis
    Dunlop 3.0mm. Tried a whole bunch, but landed here.
    yeah nylon big stubby 3mm
    What pick thickness do you use and why?-fd45bb71-5dd0-4f01-82ac-da8198e6b09a-jpegWhat pick thickness do you use and why?-8015a1ac-d1a8-411a-b09e-3df0ef0e88c1-jpeg
    try the nylon if you haven’t already
    they’re a touch softer than the purple
    derilin ones

very nice
    I bought a few in case they stop
    making them

User Info Menu

I use the Dunlop Tortex .88mm "The Wedge" picks. I will use almost anything though. A Fender Heavy will always work

User Info Menu

I usually use white Dunlop Jazz III.. Mine all say 1.4mm but the Dunlop website says they come in 1.35 and 1.5 - so I obviously haven’t bought another bag of them in a while. As for why, I like the sound and the feel. In the immortal words of Ahlert & Turk, “I don’t know why, I just do!”

User Info Menu

Wegen twins 3.5 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

What pick thickness do you use and why?-jazztones-jpg

I don't usually use a pick, but when I do I almost always reach for these (the long oval and the tear drop shapes)- they produce the best tone for my tastes. Nice and warm and kind of "creamy". My only gripe- I cant comp with them for shit. They are smooth and slippery in texture and rotate between my fingers if I'm not careful about my direction.

User Info Menu

I use a 1.00 mm Pickboy (351 shape).

Mediums warp when I use them. That bothers me.
    Jazz IIIs (and thicker picks) are too clacky for me.
    The 1 mm seems to be ideal. (Or as close to ideal as I have been able to find so far.)

User Info Menu

Dunlop Primetone Semi Round Smooth Pick 1.3

My favourite pick in combination with TI Jazz Swing 13.
    What pick thickness do you use and why?-24515130003-main__52030-1576897680-jpg

User Info Menu

I like some flex. .60 and .72 dunlop Ultex.