The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I came across this tortoise L5 pickguard on eBay. The price seems way better than what pickguardian or archtop.com advertise them for. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they as good as they look?

Question about an L5 pickguard on eBay-s-l1600-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

looks great to me get it.

User Info Menu

If they all come out like that one,buy buy buy. Thanks for letting us know about this contact.

User Info Menu

I've dealt with this seller several times, with good results.

NEW Pickguard For L-5 Cutaway, 5-Ply Binding - TORTOISE | eBay

The one you posted might be fine, but I have no experience with them. Arkansas Music Works has been a good experience on several transactions, with quick shipping, reasonable prices, and merchandise as advertised.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socraticaster
    ….The price seems way better than what pickguardian or archtop.com advertise them for.
    The two sellers you mention are very expensive compared to many others.
    I've purchased a couple from the ebay vendors you mention and they were fine.

User Info Menu

I could make the pickguard and do make them and these are cheaper not worth making one.

User Info Menu

I came across this tortoise L5 pickguard on eBay. The price seems way better than what pickguardian or archtop.com advertise them for. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they as good as they look?

NEW Pickguard For Gibson L-5 Cutaway, 5-Ply Binding - TORTOISE
    I have bought several of those Allparts tortoise L5 PickGuards on eBay and they are great.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input everyone. I probably won't be getting one for a few weeks - I blew a considerable chunk of my gear budget for the year on the recent purchase of a 1952 L7C (which is why I'm looking for a pickguard - I'm going to mount a floating pickup, but don't want to cut the original vintage 'guard). I promised myself that I won't spend any more money on gear for the rest of the year - except for what I earn playing music. I almost broke that promise yesterday buying a pickup from Lawson, but I had a cover-band gig last night, so I was safe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have bought several of those Allparts tortoise L5 PickGuards on eBay and they are great.
    Keith
    Yes, it looks like the Allparts pickguards which i bought a few years ago, but they were more expensive if i remember right. And yes they are great, just not as transparent as the Gibson originals are these days.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input everyone. I probably won't be getting one for a few weeks - I blew a considerable chunk of my gear budget for the year on the recent purchase of a 1952 L7C (which is why I'm looking for a pickguard - I'm going to mount a floating pickup, but don't want to cut the original vintage 'guard). I promised myself that I won't spend any more money on gear for the rest of the year - except for what I earn playing music. I almost broke that promise yesterday buying a pickup from Lawson, but I had a cover-band gig last night, so I was safe.
    Does your L7C have a tortoise pickguard with glued-on multiply binding? The guard you're looking at is like an L5 guard. My L7 (older than yours) has a less fancy guard than an L5. I try to use vintage correct parts wherever possible or replica parts that are close to original in appearance. Not always easy to find though.
    Keith

User Info Menu

just wondering:
    this is the pickguard which came with my 1953 L7C. 5ply black/white material. Could this have been the original or was it already replaced when the former owner added the Attila Zoller PU which was mounted when i bought it?
    Question about an L5 pickguard on eBay-foto-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    just wondering:
    this is the pickguard which came with my 1953 L7C. 5ply black/white material. Could this have been the original or was it already replaced when the former owner added the Attila Zoller PU which was mounted when i bought it?
    That is more like what I would have thought a 1950's L7C pickguard would be like. Perhaps other knowledgeable posters can confirm.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Here's a 1953 L7 with the same pickguard as yours:
    Question about an L5 pickguard on eBay-image-jpg
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 04-30-2017 at 10:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I have one of those Ebay tortoise L5 bounded pickguards mounted on an Epi Emperor Regent. Those pickguards are quite good quality and feel solid. It looks nice on a cutaway 17`archtop.
    It will look good on your L7C as well. I do understand that you are considering to add a pickup to your L7C and the one you are looking is, you can testdrive the mounting of a floating pickup and see how it looks without breaking the bank or demolishing a real vintage L7C pickguard.

Question about an L5 pickguard on eBay-dsc09874_zps5fevxrec-jpg

User Info Menu

I don't think that plastic was available in the early 50s, that came later I think. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing that laminated ABS plastic until much later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't think that plastic was available in the early 50s, that came later I think. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing that laminated ABS plastic until much later.
    I believe the black laminated/beveled pickguard appeared on the L7 in 1948. I have a 1947 L7 and it has a tortoise-colored guard with a single layer of white binding. According to the website at the link below, that changed the next year.
    Keith
    Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson archtop vintage guitar collecting

User Info Menu

Less than a month ago I bought a 5 ply from ebay for an L-7C for under $30. Came quickly and is truly 5 ply. I cut out for the EMG and put it on an Emperor. Looks to be an exact copy.

User Info Menu

I believe the black laminated/beveled pickguard appeared on the L7 in 1948. I have a 1947 L7 and it has a tortoise-colored guard with a single layer of white binding. According to the website at the link below, that changed the next year.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    just wondering:
    Replaced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    I have one of those Ebay tortoise L5 bounded pickguards mounted on an Epi Emperor Regent. Those pickguards are quite good quality and feel solid. It looks nice on a cutaway 17`archtop.
    It will look good on your L7C as well. I do understand that you are considering to add a pickup to your L7C and the one you are looking is, you can testdrive the mounting of a floating pickup and see how it looks without breaking the bank or demolishing a real vintage L7C pickguard.

Question about an L5 pickguard on eBay-dsc09874_zps5fevxrec-jpg
    Why did you mount it so far backwards ? Isnt it in the way of proper bridge placement for intonation ?

User Info Menu

Another question: where do I find, or how do I make, the small block under the pickguard to attach it to the neck? And what do I use? A small wood screw? Thanks.
    Question about an L5 pickguard on eBay-pikgrd-png

User Info Menu

Whatever works. A plastic block, ebony, other wood species, whatever you have on hand. They all work, and are hidden underneath the pickguard. You can use a screw, or glue it. Or both. I've seen all of those used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Why did you mount it so far backwards ? Isnt it in the way of proper bridge placement for intonation ?
    The answer lies in the knobs on the pickguard. The reason why I replaced the pickguard was that the location of the knobs on the original pickguard were very much in the way of my right hand when playing rythm. Fixing that problem made me placing the new pickguard on the same spot at the top. I used the existing screw hole and placed the knobs as way down as possible. And no, the guard is not in the way of the bridge. The picture was a bit of a birds eye pov.

User Info Menu

Soooooo...I know it's a bit of a necroposting here, but...

I've acquired a 1998 Epi Zephyr Regent, and I'm mulling the idea of a different pickguard. It's a natural finish, and I was thinking a bound tort guard would look pretty good (ala a vintage Gibson L-4C). The original Epi guard seems to sit a bit lower (towards the bridge) than I'd like it to anyway.

I've found that a tortoise, 5 ply bound guard for a L-4C, L-7C, ES-165 or 175 doesn't seem to exist.

How ill fitting would the L-5C guard as pictured in the OP at the top be on the Epi? I realize I would have to modify it for the pickup.. Pricing out the materials alone on StewMac exceeds the price of the guard on the 'Bay.