The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Oh Hey, if this thread is drifting to include cool cheap vintage SS amps,
    One of my best pawn shop finds is a 1980's Randall RC-30. It cost $90, came in dusty but pristine condition other than one knob that looked funky. Fun thing was that the funked-up knob has an aluminum skirt, so it was an easy thing to flatten out. That's one reason why old school is cool.

The RC-30 has a 1x12 speaker with an aluminum cone, plywood cab and nice spring reverb. All for ninety bucks !!!

And the best part is that it sounds great! Jazz tones are easy to find. I've had some other cheap SS amps -- like the Peavey Envoy, for example -- that were also nicely built but didn't sound 1/2 as good for jazz. The problem with cheap vintage Solid State amps is that they are more often have been beat the heck out of or are dead and in a dumpster. Oh, and some sound like crap!At this point, the survivors often sat in a closet for a long time.

Also, I should mention that a while back I was taking guitar lessons and the amp in the practice room was the el cheapo Fender Frontman 25. I thought it did a pretty decent job -- not amazing, but easy enough to dial into a useable jazz tone.
    I love vintage solid state amps and want to know more about the Randall amps. Of course I’ve heard the name before but never researched anything about their amps. Is anyone interested in telling me more about the Randall amps?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    I love vintage solid state amps and want to know more about the Randall amps. Of course I’ve heard the name before but never researched anything about their amps. Is anyone interested in telling me more about the Randall amps?
    I don't know a lot, but my RC-30 is one with the orange panel on the front.
    I believe their big model at the time was the Commander . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I don't know a lot, but my RC-30 is one with the orange panel on the front.
    I believe their big model at the time was the Commander . . .
    Thank you, Longways to Go!

I’ve done some research and find the Commander II pretty cool. The Commander amps seems to be Solid State versions of Twin Reverbs. I haven’t been listening to any demo clips yet but will do this later.

User Info Menu

I also have to admit that I bought a Drive CD200 B bass amp from musicians friend for $20 that is one of the best clean amps I have ever heard. It has no bells and whistles, it’s got one sound - the sound of your guitar, but sounds pretty amazing.

There’s one on reverb (NFI) for $50 now.

I’ve been seriously thinking about selling the JC 77 and keeping this.