The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I notice that Thomastik-Infeld string sets, for example the George Benson, the Swing and the Bebop come in two flavours: the unwound strings can be either plain steel or tinplated steel. I've never heard of tinplated strings. Have anyone tried them out?
    Thomastik-Infeld tinplated strings?-thomastik-infeld-swing-tin-plated-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use the GB114s .. I dont see an option for Tin so I am assuming they are steel (that is what the package says)

User Info Menu

This may be a new thing. I only noticed it on their web site.

User Info Menu

BDLH,
    Thank you for the heads' up on this;
    TE is my preferred flavor.

User Info Menu

I've been patiently waiting for over 3 years!

What's the tin plating for?

Actually, I just saw this thread today.

User Info Menu

I only use strings that have oxygen-free tin plating with the gold plated ball ends. Anything less sucks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I've been patiently waiting for over 3 years!

What's the tin plating for?

Actually, I just saw this thread today.
    I'd say if you actually care contact TI, I would of contacted TI about 2.8 years ago if it was me wondering.

User Info Menu

Well, okay then.

I just emailed the CEO of TI, Zlenda.

We'll see if she responds.

It's still mystifying that there is not an answer already posted. Forum members are the TI customer base. If we don't know what the tin plating is for, very few in the world do. And no one will buy them.

TI should put a little bit a background about the strings on their website, me thinks.

User Info Menu

Tin plated because steel rusts.

User Info Menu

Here's their reply.

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your e-mail. Apologies for the delay in our answer.
    The tin plating on the plane string is a standard coating for plane guitar strings. In our regullar set we use brass plating on the plane string. Both coating (tin & brass) are there to avoid corrosion but they both have similar effect on the sound (sound similar). We mark the tin plated strings with a "T" - e.g. brass plated set: GB112; tin plated set: GB112T. For a better overview, please find our catalogue attached.
    I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Heinz Kovacs
    Research & Development
    Diehlgasse 27 A-1051 Vienna

User Info Menu

Which has more mojo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Which has more mojo?
    Try playing bottle neck first with a brass knuckle, then with a tin cup. You'll have your answer.

(OK, that's BS, but it sounds so cool).
    Last edited by mangotango; 12-18-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: humour - I hope

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Which has more mojo?
    If you have to ask, you'll never understand - Louis Armstrong.

User Info Menu

The tin wears off really quickly anyway
    but the mojo remains ............

User Info Menu

I like the brass mojo on T-I Swing strings. It does wear quickly enough, but it must wear onto my fingers - so finger mojo. Better not wash,...

Chris

User Info Menu

My guess is :
    Brass, heavier than tin : better for acoustic sound
    Tin, more magnetic ? : better for electric (??)

User Info Menu

If they both have the same purpose and he same sound, why have 2 choices?

User Info Menu

>>> If they both have the same purpose and he same sound, why have 2 choices?

You gots your tin, which is what almost all manufacturers use.

You gots your brass which looks cool, although it shows its wear more easily since the steel is a different color.

You gots your silver which is positioned with no reason whatsoever as somehow superior.

They all work; they are all identical in practice. The total amount of metal involved is so small that density, hardness, etc. can be ignored.

Go figure.

Chris

User Info Menu

1. Brass
      Bronze stands for the copper/tin alloy . 80% copper generally but some bronze strings come with a 60/40 ratio. It is used in the coil wrapping middle and bass strings. The larger the proportion of copper, the brighter the strings will sound . The drawback is for strings to last less and many time players feel that the bright sound is vanishing too quickly. Some players will prefer the sound once this excessive brightness has disappeared anyway.
    2. Phosphor Bronze
      Phosphor bronze is a copper/tin alloy (90 to 95% of copper), coated with phosphor, which is used for wound strings. Due to a higher copper content, the phosphor bronze strings will sound brighter than regular 80/20 bronze. Both Phosphor and 80/20 bronze strings will sound bright when played the first few times. After the strings break in, the 80/20 bronze wound strings will have a warmer tone, whereas the Phosphor bronze will remain brighter
      One may have the feeling that the 80/20 set sounds brighter and more metallic. It’s not really true for the wound strings. Yet, the plain strings will stand out a little more from the mix and gives the feeling of a more metallic sound. In contrary, a Phosphor Bronze set will give a more balanced tone all across the strings.
      The principal benefit from phosphor bronze strings is a longer lifetime with less variation in sound quality. Please note that such a material has a higher density than 80/20 bronze and generates more tension for the same gauge. If you move from bronze, you may try a smaller gauge to keep the same tension on your instrument.
    3. Copper
      Now you can find strings with almost pure copper wound (in fact 98/2 brass). They offer a very bright tone. As for phosphor bronze, the tension will be higher with a smaller gauge so you should be cautious when choosing such strings to avoid too much pressure on your guitar.
    4. Silk and steel
      Those strings are made with a core wire allying steel and plastic fiber which allows lighters strings, quite similar to nylon. Middle and bass strings are wrapped with silver platted copper.
    5. Coated strings
      Any of the different materials can be coated, with many brands offering their own coating technology. Coating is mainly intended to protect the strings from corrosion and normal wear and extending the useful life of the strings. It is certainly on those strings – also known to be expensive – that reviews are diverging. I would recommend them for those who feel their strings go dead too quickly.
    6. Silver plated strings
      Silver patted strings can be seen as an interesting choice for Jazz player, who can be unsatisfied with the brightness and sustain of bronze strings.
      Silver platted strings give a sweeter tone and a quicker response to attacks, with a little less sustain then bronze strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    If they both have the same purpose and he same sound, why have 2 choices?
    Exactly.

(However it still could be for aesthetics. Maybe TI thinks some will more like the red brass color, some will not accept it.) You know they want to sell. Even customers who like equally the two, will maybe will try both, an this is almost an extra sell!
    Last edited by Gabor; 03-05-2017 at 04:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi, Ive tried both the brass and tin plated plain strings of JS112. MY verdict the brass plated is superior!. The tin plated after a while starts buzzing. I wish thomastik did not experiment with the tin plating.

User Info Menu

I know this thread is age old but, tin is typically used on silk and steel sets for the 2-3 higher string. It is common amongst fingerstyle steel string players and is very comfortable. I haven't had the TI set but I've played a few others. Some are better than others. I forgot whether it was martin or Daddario but the tin felt so comfortable and squarish. I bought a set from La Bella last year but didn't feel or sound to great.

User Info Menu

Did you even regret creating a thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gibouille
    Tin, more magnetic ? : better for electric (??)
    FWIW, tin is paramagnetic. It's weakly attracted to magnetic poles, but (unlike ferromagnetic materials) it will not retain any magnetism once removed from a magnetic field. I strongly doubt that a tin plating (or even a thicker tin coating) would have much affect on the generation of a signal in a magnetic pickup unless it was so thick that it interfered with the generation of a signal in the coil.

User Info Menu

The tin plated strings sound kind of "tinny" as opposed to the brass ones, which I find to be very "brassy".